User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Yes, exactly. You got what I was talking about.

Those are all good thoughts. They align rather well with what I've come to think is right, myself. You've actually given me more ideas to contemplate. Thanks.
    Thank you...
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

On my Christian gap year program, we were set into peer-mentoring groups (same gender, groups of 3 or 4).

As it happens, every single one of us was uncomfortable praying out loud. It was the only thing we could bond over as a group, lol. So while other groups all had at least one person who didn't hesitate to pray out loud for the group, it took us until the last two months or so to pray for each other.

I wanted to "gain this skill" not because I felt like less of a Christian keeping my prayers personal and quiet, but because at times I felt very blessed by others when someone prayed over me. I wanted to be able to execute that skill in times where others would benefit from me doing that for them.

It took some time, and it took some guts, but now I'm comfortable enough to do it in situations that are called for. It's sort of like public speaking in that I'm not totally comfortable doing it, but that doesn't mean I won't do it. I want to do it, and I can when I need to.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I've never seen anybody praying aloud other than in church, and never been asked to pray aloud except at Bible study or maybe at another family's house been asked to give the blessing or some such. Where do people pray aloud other than in those circumstances?
    I'm completely okay with people praying in those circumstances. I was just annoyed when people would do it at school before class started, or in the middle of a shopping place. They would always pray loudly, too, to make sure you heard them. They knew it was annoying, they just didn't care. If they'd just whispered it quickly or something, I'd also have been okay with it. But it was loud and drawn-out.

FigerPuppet

Keep your unauthorized advertising out of public space, please.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm completely okay with people praying in those circumstances. I was just annoyed when people would do it at school before class started, or in the middle of a shopping place. They would always pray loudly, too, to make sure you heard them. They knew it was annoying, they just didn't care. If they'd just whispered it quickly or something, I'd also have been okay with it. But it was loud and drawn-out.
    In the middle of a shopping place? Really? That's fascinating! What on earth did they pray? "Please God, let the big bottle of Tide be on sale, in Jesus name, amen"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    In the middle of a shopping place? Really? What on earth did they pray? "Please God, let the big bottle of Tide be on sale, in Jesus name, amen"
    LOL. A few of them did, actually. Though that's the kind of thing that would make me laugh more than annoy me.

Most often, though, they would actually recite the entire Lord's prayer. It was weird, they'd just spontaneously do it. And it wasn't quiet, either. There were also a few examples of people praying for strength right after someone who was frustrating them walked off (or even while they were still standing there).

So, it was approximately:

20% prayers for cheaper prices or material gain.
    30% prayers not to lose their temper
    50% long, loud, prosaic recitations of the Lord's prayer

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Wow that would make me feel uncomfortable seeing/hearing that. My mom is the type to pray before her meal, even if taken in public. She just bows her head and silently prays. Which also makes me feel odd.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I don't know what I'd do if someone burst into the Lord's Prayer in front of me in a shopping place. Either join in or bite his head off, I guess, depending on the day.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

I sat there staring blankly trying not to look at the other patrons. It is just an odd situation.
    Johari / Nohari

Independent Director

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

LOL. A few of them did, actually. Though that's the kind of thing that would make me laugh more than annoy me.

Most often, though, they would actually recite the entire Lord's prayer. It was weird, they'd just spontaneously do it. And it wasn't quiet, either. There were also a few examples of people praying for strength right after someone who was frustrating them walked off (or even while they were still standing there).

So, it was approximately:

20% prayers for cheaper prices or material gain.
    30% prayers not to lose their temper
    50% long, loud, prosaic recitations of the Lord's prayer
    What the hell is that?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.