User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I don't exactly understand it really myself, but I really don't like praying publically.
    Thank you. Please continue to refrain.

It honestly bothers me when people do that. It seems a little presumptuous.

You have no idea how irritating those loud, obnoxious Christians can be. It's so bad that I actually associated Christianity with being loud and obnoxious. You're doing everyone a favor with your example.

Two things I've found shouldn't be discussed in polite company... religion and politics.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Thank you. Please continue to refrain.

It honestly bothers me when people do that. It seems a little presumptuous.

You have no idea how irritating those loud, obnoxious Christians can be. It's so bad that I actually associated Christianity with being loud and obnoxious. You're doing everyone a favor with your example.

Two things I've found shouldn't be discussed in polite company... religion and politics.
    How is it presumptuous? I've never found it to be irritating at all. And you associated Christianity with being loud and obnoxious? Are you 12?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    How is it presumptuous? I've never found it to be irritating at all.
    Maybe that's because you're not an atheist/agnostic type. To be honest, I'd really rather not know a person's politics and religion if I don't have to. It's not easy for me to be comfortable around Christians once I know their religion, especially not conservative ones.

And you associated Christianity with being loud and obnoxious? Are you 12?
    It's kind of hard not to do when you have all these kids around that pray loudly and run around singing gospel music at the top of their lungs in school. It honestly made me want to shove a sock in their mouth and duct tape it shut so I could concentrate when I was working on schoolwork.

Maybe that's because you're not an atheist/agnostic type. To be honest, I'd really rather not know a person's politics and religion if I don't have to. It's not easy for me to be comfortable around Christians once I know their religion, especially not conservative ones.
    I am agnostic.

It's kind of hard not to do when you have all these kids around that pray loudly and run around singing gospel music at the top of their lungs in school.
    Where do you live that people do this?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am agnostic.
    Oh. Nevermind, then.

Where do you live that people do this?
    Texas. Maybe I was just in the wrong places at the wrong times. After all, for all the ones that annoyed me, there might have been 20 that were discreet and tolerable.

Seriously, though, it can get annoying. The worst was when this guy was practically making out with his girlfriend at lunch while bashing how unnatural and against God gays are. Granted, that only happened once, but it leaves an impression on you.

Note that "associated" was past tense, also.

Seriously, though, it can get annoying. The worst was when this guy was practically making out with his girlfriend at lunch while bashing how unnatural and against God gays are. Granted, that only happened once, but it leaves an impression on you.
    This is a Christianity problem? Sounds like a people problem. I'm curious as to how you think ebullient celebration of faith [singing Gospel songs] or misguided personal sentiments justify your judgments about entire religions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is a Christianity problem? Sounds like a people problem. I'm curious as to how you think ebullient celebration of faith [singing Gospel songs] or misguided personal sentiments justify your judgments about entire religions.
    I didn't say they did.

You take everything too literally.

My point is that I think quieter Christians who pray to pray, and not to be heard, are doing everyone a favor, including other Christians. Because it sets a better example for them, and keeps non-Christians from forming poor opinions in irritation like I once did.

Also, I think it's more respectful to those of other religions when you avoid prayer or pray quietly.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

I agree Athenian. I live in Egypt where I hear the call to prayer blasting in the streets. I think there would be less hate and more tolerance if everyone kept their religion like they do their sex in their bedrooms.

If someone sets a fine example then of course it may spark curiosity in some and if they feel comfortable enough to ask about their fine example and it's sources. Then by all means ask, that is what makes communication and conversation between two people excellent. The ability to learn, understand, and share.

Whereas a public shouting of everyone saying verses at the top of their voice on public transportation, well that just singles others out. If there is one thing, I cannot stand more than others it's having to listen to others religion being spewed in buses, businesses, and basically in public places. I am also agnostic. I will not say Tawheed with others, or after the mention of a name publicly say sayings to show I am a believer of their faith. It just segregates and separates.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Eiddy View Post
    I think there would be less hate and more tolerance if everyone kept their religion like they do their sex in their bedrooms.
    Yes, exactly. You got what I was talking about.
    If someone sets a fine example then of course it may spark curiosity in some and if they feel comfortable enough to ask about their fine example and it's sources. Then by all means ask, that is what makes communication and conversation between two people excellent. The ability to learn, understand, and share.

Whereas a public shouting of everyone saying verses at the top of their voice on public transportation, well that just singles others out. If there is one thing, I cannot stand more than others it's having to listen to others religion being spewed in buses, businesses, and basically in public places. I am also agnostic. I will not say Tawheed with others, or after the mention of a name publicly say sayings to show I am a believer of their faith. It just segregates and separates.
    Those are all good thoughts. They align rather well with what I've come to think is right, myself. You've actually given me more ideas to contemplate. Thanks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I've never seen anybody praying aloud other than in church, and never been asked to pray aloud except at Bible study or maybe at another family's house been asked to give the blessing or some such. Where do people pray aloud other than in those circumstances?