User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

It is hard for me to connect with God when I am praying in front of more than one accepting person. I know it is because I am more concerned with what others think of me than what God thinks of me and I am trying to move closer to God so I can get over this hurdle, but I am not there.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

MBTI
    INXP

Default I feel uncomfortable praying in front of people.

Then pray behind them.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

Sniffles

"For prayer is nothing else than being on terms of friendship with God."
    --St. Teresa of Avila

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Well Jesus said to go off by yourself and pray, rather than doing it in front of people anyway. I forget the exact chapter and verse, but it's in there.
    I considered looking it up, but I don't really have time at the moment... it was something about "don't be like the hypocrites, who pray in public, but go off and pray in the dark alley where nobody sees you and you aren't on display"

yeah- a paraphrasing....

.... I know more about religion than a good agnostic should
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Well Jesus said to go off by yourself and pray, rather than doing it in front of people anyway. I forget the exact chapter and verse, but it's in there.
    The Jesus was high that day and spoke in riddles. What I meant by that was that I gently asked the person in question to go fuck himself.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

God has defined only that under free will He desires you to have a relationship with Him. That you are praying is a beautiful thing. It isnt something that has to be put on display....it is a private conversation between you and your God.

MBTI
    INTJ

I, too, have a problem praying aloud with anyone. Tonight I was at a church event and while it was 3 hours of non-stop music, praise and worship, and self-guided prayer, we were asked once to grab a person beside us and pray together. Even one on one, I had a hard time praying in front of the person. Now, when we agreed to pray for each other, God gave me the words to say, but when we were asked to pray for our nation, I had nothing to say. To me, prayer is something very private. I do not like feeling pressured to pray aloud, and that often is the case. If God isn't speaking through me, why should I fake it? I just keep my mouth shut and that seems to cause a bit of a problem.
    There are two types of people in this world, sheep and sharks. Be a shark. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Headstrong: You're learning the ways of...me!
    INTP Friend: Yay!
    INTP Friend: Wait....NOOOOO

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
    -Plato

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Hmm, I have to say I haven't read all the giant walls of text here.. but my two cents?

There's such diversity now-a-days. It's not JUST Christianity anymore. You aren't a witch and burned, no one excommunicates you forever for picking up a book about something else.. but I suppose with the fall of one narrow-minded way rises another.

It seems to me as I've observed it that instead the intolerance is more toward Christianity than other denominations. I've never thought it weird or off-put for anyone to pray or say "God bless you" or anything like that.. but the sheer amount of people that have complained about things like moments of silence, the politically correct ways of doing things, mixing in with people speaking up every time they are offended by something... One almost feels like they are doing something wrong by doing what is natural for many Christians.

I feel the same way.. I don't say "Blessed be", I don't wear the star, and I don't preach or say things in a way that conveys my religious feelings behind a subject.. as if I am trying to hide it from the world to avoid potential embarrassment, offense, or some other silly notion that my mind can think up.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Hmm, I have to say I haven't read all the giant walls of text here.. but my two cents?

There's such diversity now-a-days. It's not JUST Christianity anymore. You aren't a witch and burned, no one excommunicates you forever for picking up a book about something else.. but I suppose with the fall of one narrow-minded way rises another.

It seems to me as I've observed it that instead the intolerance is more toward Christianity than other denominations. I've never thought it weird or off-put for anyone to pray or say "God bless you" or anything like that.. but the sheer amount of people that have complained about things like moments of silence, the politically correct ways of doing things, mixing in with people speaking up every time they are offended by something... One almost feels like they are doing something wrong by doing what is natural for many Christians.

I feel the same way.. I don't say "Blessed be", I don't wear the star, and I don't preach or say things in a way that conveys my religious feelings behind a subject.. as if I am trying to hide it from the world to avoid potential embarrassment, offense, or some other silly notion that my mind can think up.
    Well, people should be more ashamed over being christians than any nazi could ever be. The sheer volume of crap that christianity is comprised of and what it has done to the world. Splitting into new churches isn't going to help. The nazis have different parties, too, you know.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Well, people should be more ashamed over being christians than any nazi could ever be. The sheer volume of crap that christianity is comprised of and what it has done to the world. Splitting into new churches isn't going to help. The nazis have different parties, too, you know.
    I'm not at all saying Christianity and the way people have in the past and continue to interpret it is wrong..

I just don't think the Religion should be blamed for what people do.. and I don't think that people who mind their own business and want to pray, say God Bless You, or do anything else that involves their religion should be ashamed or afraid to do so.

I'm just saying.. it seems like we can't have it all. When people are openly Christian, there's narrow-minded bigotry. When we aren't open about religion, we get the same thing in a different way entirely. It seems people can't win for losing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge