User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Size

Default Size

For 200,000 years our horizon was limited by our size.

But over the last 100 years or so our horizon has extended to include the unimaginably small and the unimaginably large.

Our horizon has extended from the heart of the atom to the shape of the universe.

And we found the atom is not what we thought it was, and nor is the universe.

In fact the atom and the universe are quite counter-intuitive.

While the things we can relate to our physical size remain intuitive.

And so we now have a bifurcation in human culture - those who are intuitive and those who are counter-intuitive.

And those who are counter-intuitive are invariably literate and numerate.

And it is only the literate and numerate that can understand the modern world of science, economics and politics.

And it is the intuitive that are left in the world of astrology, religion, the New Age, pseudo-science and tribalism.

C.P. Snow spoke of these two cultures in, "The Two Cultures", in 1959.

And I hardly need to point out that the illiterate, innumerate, tribal world of Islam is at war with the literate, numerate, democratic West.

And the war is about size.

The intuitive only have to look about them to see they are right. While the counter-intuitive only have to look through a microscope or a telescope to see they are right.

Unfortunately for the intuitive, the cat is out of the bag.

In fact two cats - one very small and one very large.

And the counter-intuitive cats are among the intuitive pigeons.

The point of the story is?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I thought you enjoyed abstraction, Antisocial.

The point is obvious.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    The point is obvious.
    He's just being antisocial.

I admit I'm not always clear on what "Intuitive" means versus "Counter-Intuitive".
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...itiveness.html

Does "intuitive" sometimes mean "first impulse" ? or "childish " ?

Interesting that in the "Greed based systems" thread we see a basic human impulse ( therefore Intuitive ? ) being used to drive a system ( capitalism ) that supposedly gives us the infrastructure to be more "civilized" ( the good of the many versus the individual ), which is perhaps "counter-intuitive".

Is the use or invention of cash intuitive or counter-intuitive ? What about "interest" on the cash ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    He's just being antisocial.
    I see that memory serves you well.

I fully understand what he says. It is just that I am not fully sure that I know where he stands in this. Since he claims to be religious (as far as I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    The point is that we are of a particular size. But almost everything else is of a different size. Quarks are unimaginably small while galactic clusters are unimaginably large.

However we intuitively judge everything by our own size. And over the last 100 years or so this has been shown to be a mistaken judgement.

Nonetheless billions of people live their lives under this mistaken judgement.

And indeed for this mistaken judgement they have gone to war with us.

And this is a tragedy beyond tragedy.

A tragedy based on an intuitive mistake.

And a mistake based on size.

I fully understand what he says. It is just that I am not fully sure that I know where he stands in this. Since he claims to be religious (as far as I know.)
    My formal position is this -

There has never been a civilization not based on a religion. I belong to Western civilization. And Western civilization is based on Judeo-Greek-Christianity.

So I am a Judeo-Greek-Christian.

However I am not a Fundamentalist nor a Literalist.

And I am a son of the humanist Renaissance and the English and Scottish Enlightenment.

In fact I am committed to my secular Constitution that guarantees freedom of religion.

And I feel quite comfortable with this.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I thought you enjoyed abstraction, Antisocial.

The point is obvious.
    Yeah. The point is, the scientists are pwning the shit out of religion and other such nonsense, which are only given rise to conceptual existence through poor observation.

We have a poor storehouse of information to thank for poor observation, and the subsequent poor calculation. It's called misinterpretation.
    Or rather it's not as much bad storehouse, but instead a faulty metric. Or maybe a biased metric.

You have to remember that victor gives single names to groups characters what's constituents come from sparse or seemingly obscure connectivity. The fidelity of their connectivity, despite what seems so obviously impossible, is irrefutable.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    infp

This is the first of Victor's posts that I can actually philosophically relate to in quite awhile. I have always sort of felt that the world was counter intuitive, although I called it something else and applied it to different concepts than religion and science and east and west. I've come to notice that everything really is different than what it seems, different in that it likely functions in the opposite way you would have assumed.

I think humanity is the perfect example. If you want people to like you, the last thing you want to do is try to impress them, as nothing will impress them less. The last way to win a girl is to show her your affection. The most charismatic person is the one who needs your attention the least, ect.

I personally apply the counter intuitive paradigm to humanity and behaviour, but I definitely see where you are going talking about atoms and the universe, big and small, ect. I think putting this into east and west cultures is in itself counter intuitive... it's too hard to think about it without being ethnocentric, which we are probably being. Who are we to judge? I wouldn't say everyone in our culture is neccesarily counter-intuitive in thought, but merely educated in counter intuitive ideas. Perhaps in the east there are counter intuitive thinkers educated in the intuitive.

I've always sort of thought of it as sort of the world's magnificent punch line, but I like calling it the unimaginable, the counter intuitive, and the horizon just as much. Calling it nothing at all is great, too.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And I hardly need to point out that the illiterate, innumerate, tribal world of Islam is at war with the literate, numerate, democratic West.
    Sorry...just on this one point here...how many threads have there been, lamenting just how illiterate and innumerate (hehe, never used that word that way) the folk of the west actually are?

I guess, from what the "literate" have continually said, I always figured the big war of ideology right now was in -how- to be illiterate, etc.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo