• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

breaking the law

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I stop at stop signs for both reasons usually, but I have been in the situation you describe in the middle of nowhere and there's something about it that makes me actually WANT to stop. Perhaps I stop because I can easily get away with not stopping or because it's kinda funny to stop and linger there for a few extra seconds. I dunno. I always stop in that situation though.

I think "force of habit" would explain why you might stop.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Not if you're religious and exist in a world of universal morals.

I disagree.

You can take a group of people that all follow one religion and even attend the same church. Not all of their views will be exactly the same.

I have an ISFJ friend that's a practicing Mormon. He believes transgender individuals and homosexuals should have equal rights. He's actually very progressive regarding many issues Mormons are against.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think so.

When I drive around a real rural area I'll sometimes use my turn signal or stop at a stop sign without thinking out of habit, it's true for me at least.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
When I drive around a real rural area I'll sometimes use my turn signal or stop at a stop sign without thinking out of habit, it's true for me at least.

OH. MY. WORD.

You be Clyde, I'll be Bonny.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Alright. So what's with your Usertitle? Do yo have beef with Jesus?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I disagree.

You can take a group of people that all follow one religion and even attend the same church. Not all of their views will be exactly the same.

I have an ISFJ friend that's a practicing Mormon. He believes transgender individuals and homosexuals should have equal rights. He's actually very progressive regarding many issues Mormons are against.

Oh, I agree that people of the same religion will have an array of different views and morals. I was just saying that many religious people believe in universal right and wrongs and morals. To them that's reality.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
OH.MY.WORD.

You be Clyde, I'll be Bonny.

We'll terrorize the nation with our recognizing of traffic laws in any situation. Scores of people dead..

Alright. So what's with your Usertitle? Do yo have beef with Jesus?

Nah, it just creates a funny image in my head. If Jesus existed at all the the Bible describes him, he sounds like he was a real good person.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Anyone else have Judas Priest in their head every time you read this topic title?

Yesssss. Also Beavis and Butthead!

I do these little piddly "breaking the law" things from time to time. Like speeding, jaywalking.

I have a pretty heavy-duty values system and know what kinds of things I can do without violating it and what would cause me personal damage if I did. I worry more about that then I do the consequences of men. But Beat makes a point when he suggests that chosing to go against society really reguires the self-honesty to be prepared to accept the stated consequence of doing so. That, at the least, would be expected and admirable in a twisted sort of way.

There have been two times in my work life when I have been required to do something which my values system superceded and I went with my conscience over the law.

Both times being caught would have caused serious consequences for me, and perhaps my family, because both were federal offenses. I thought long and hard before I made my decisions and I would do it again, I believe. There are some things I won't sell out to. So Sixties of me. Hey. I've gotta live with myself. . .

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
It's coincidental that I watched "The Storm of the Century" last night. The moral dilemma which occurs at the end made me think of this thread.

I guess it could boil down to the "needs of the many" outweighing the needs of the few.

The film was boring as heck but that puzzle at the end became disturbing to me.