• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

breaking the law

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Breaking the law cannot be inherently right or wrong, in my eyes. Certain acts can be, but whether or not something is legal is completely irrelevant where morality is concerned.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Breaking the law cannot be inherently right or wrong, in my eyes. Certain acts can be, but whether or not something is legal is completely irrelevant where morality is concerned.

...unless "not breaking the law" is a certain moral/value someone has.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeh, but that's why I put "in my eyes."

Subjective perspective, brah.

Alright, I thought you meant that in your view, breaking the law cannot be inherently right or wrong in general, not just applying it to you.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm sure other people find breaking the law (in and of itself) to be wrong, but I do not. So if that is what you are clearing up, consider it cleared.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's wrong to break the law. Laws are made for the overall and greater good of all of mankind, not for the individuals benefit.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
like what kind of circumstance?

Someone has a family member captive and they tell you that you have to taser an old lady to get for family member back safely.

A less extreme circumstance would be if you would break the traffic laws to speed to the hospital to get an injured friend help.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Right or wrong is too subjective and ambiguous. The majority of people would break the law if it was beneficial for them to do so, under "dire circumstances".

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
like what kind of circumstance?

You are in the middle of the desert. There is no one for miles. You come to a stop sign. You stop.

Do you stop because it's the right thing to do?
Or do you stop because you're conditioned to stop at stop-signs?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Someone has a family member captive and they tell you that you have to taser an old lady to get for family member back safely.

A less extreme circumstance would be if you would break the traffic laws to speed to the hospital to get an injured friend help.

With the family member thing, obviously I would call the professionals (the law enforcement folks) so that I don't have to take the law into my own hands. But if it were a spur of the moment thing where I was forced to react without time to think first I'd probably taser the old lady. and now I'm going to burn in hell for saying that. thanks a lot ajblaise.

You are in the middle of the desert. There is no one for miles. You come to a stop sign. You stop.

Do you stop because it's the right thing to do?
Or do you stop because you're conditioned to stop at stop-signs?

I stop at stop signs for both reasons usually, but I have been in the situation you describe in the middle of nowhere and there's something about it that makes me actually WANT to stop. Perhaps I stop because I can easily get away with not stopping or because it's kinda funny to stop and linger there for a few extra seconds. I dunno. I always stop in that situation though.