User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Have anything you want to come clean about?
    I rob a bank every November.

MBTI
    ISTx

Do you do it on my birthday? That's hot if you do...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Probably the major difference would be how extreme or dire (to basically echo what everyone else has said ).
    Last edited by Cimarron; 10-12-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: italics
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Definitions of "right" or "wrong" fall under people's moral standpoint. Ethically, I believe if a man steals medicine for his dying wife because he cannot afford it he should be punished. He committed a crime, he broke the law, and the only way justice can be blind is if that man is punished for his crime in a way that is agreed upon according to the law.

I would personally feel pity for that man but I still would firmly believe that he should be punished. I'm firm in my belief that the law should be very clear-cut to avoid any and all accusations of inequality or personal bias. People's moral "feelings" cannot have any standing in court room if we want the law to be respected.

I'm a US citizen living in the US, for the record, I don't know of other countries legal policies.

MBTI
    ISTx

I want to expound on my initial post in this thread. As others have pointed out, it can be justified to break the law under dire circumstances but you should be expectant to face whatever consequences may result. I don't feel like people are above the law or exempt, however, I don't think it's right for someone to unnecessarily suffer at the hands of an inanimate force. What one might think "dire" or "extreme" may not be that to me or someone else though. It's all dependent on the circumstances.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to say "no."

Society functions best when people feel protected and life is predictable. We elect officials to design rules with these ends in mind because each individual can't be trusted to make the correct decision to further these ends. Even though you think you can make a better decision in dire circumstances -- better in the sense that it promotes safety or predictability -- allowing you to make that decision would permit others to violate the law in circumstances they consider "dire." Not only can't we trust people to make good decisions, there is no clear definition of what "dire" means. To adopt a position that individuals should be allowed to violate the law in "dire" circumstances would, in the long run, result in less predictability and less safety, even though the intent to to maximize these factors. Therefore, the position is inconsistent and flawed.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bbites View Post
    Definitions of "right" or "wrong" fall under people's moral standpoint. Ethically, I believe if a man steals medicine for his dying wife because he cannot afford it he should be punished. He committed a crime, he broke the law, and the only way justice can be blind is if that man is punished for his crime in a way that is agreed upon according to the law.

I would personally feel pity for that man but I still would firmly believe that he should be punished. I'm firm in my belief that the law should be very clear-cut to avoid any and all accusations of inequality or personal bias. People's moral "feelings" cannot have any standing in court room if we want the law to be respected.

I'm a US citizen living in the US, for the record, I don't know of other countries legal policies.
    I agree with the else-crowd that everything depends on the sort of "dire and extreme" happening. In the example provided.. yes, he should gladly accept his punishment. All actions have consequences, and just doing the "right" thing doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a "good" consequence. I'm reminded of that cheesy poster in school.. "Sometimes what is popular isn't always right, and sometimes what's right isn't always popular." Wise words that went over my head as a kid in elementary when I glanced at it everyday on my way to class.. but still engrained in my memory now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I want to expound on my initial post in this thread. As others have pointed out, it can be justified to break the law under dire circumstances but you should be expectant to face whatever consequences may result. I don't feel like people are above the law or exempt, however, I don't think it's right for someone to unnecessarily suffer at the hands of an inanimate force. What one might think "dire" or "extreme" may not be that to me or someone else though. It's all dependent on the circumstances.
    I'm very torn on what to say on this matter.. If a man is speeding because his wife is having a baby.. driving recklessly to get to the hospital. I believe he did what he believed was right, but he could have also put his wife and others in danger driving recklessly, in this case I would believe the man should be fined for his driving.. even though he did what he knew and believed to be right.

... To think of a movie circumstance, A Time to Kill... I'm not sure if I agree the law should be so devoid of emotion that the man in that movie were sentenced to death. Even though the law SHOULD be emotionless, it's not.. because humans are not. They're incapable of not having at least SOME emotion. Lawyers play on the emotions of the jury all the time to get them to empathize, sympathize, or feel angered by the person they are voting for or against. In the movie (spoilers right here if you have not seen it): The black man's daughter is raped and murdered, and in turn the system did not sentence the murderers even though they were obviously guilty.. the man in turn took his revenge and killed the murderers. The movie was all about morality, segregation, and where we draw the line between right and wrong.

.. I'm still not sure if I feel that the main character is guilty of murder, or if it really was an occasion where it was justified that he kill.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I break the law everyday, and basically have since I first started smoking weed when I was 14.

It's fine -- I know the consequences and I'll accept them if they ever come (which they probably won't, I've been caught red-handed by police officers)...

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Anyone else have Judas Priest in their head every time you read this topic title?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Anyone else have Judas Priest in their head every time you read this topic title?
    Apparently not enough to catch my joke 4 posts in.
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!