• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why modern atheism is so shallow

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's denying in that they are denying to believe in God(s), that's true. But to me that's a lot different than pro activity stating "There is no God". They aren't necessarily trying to make a statement just by not believing.

LOL. That reminds me of the scene in Caddyshack when Rodney sees the ugly hat in the pro shop and says "Wow, when you buy that hat you must get a free bowl of soup!" and then he sees Ted Knight wearing it and says, "Oh, but it looks good on YOU."

:)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I definitely think you can have doubt/nonbelief yourself, but still profess that there might be a god, i.e. that you don't know whether God exists or not. "I don't believe in/think much about/worship God, but He might exist."

MBTI Type
INTJ
I definitely think you can have doubt/nonbelief yourself, but still profess that there might be a god, i.e. that you don't know whether God exists or not. "I don't believe in/think much about/worship God, but He might exist."

I don't know. I still see that kind of disconnect as intellectual dishonesty, even if it's in the service of making nice with people who have different beliefs than you. How can you say that you don't believe something to be true, yet say you can't deny its existence? To me, that's like saying you can't 100% rule out that the Earth isn't flat even if you don't believe it is.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know. I still see that kind of disconnect as intellectual dishonesty, even if it's in the service of making nice with people who have different beliefs than you. How can you say that you don't believe something to be true, yet say you can't deny its existence? To me, that's like saying you can't 100% rule out that the Earth isn't flat even if you don't believe it is.

If someone acknowledges that there is the possibility of there being a God while at the same time they don't necessarily personally believe in one, I'm not seeing where intellectual dishonesty fits into that at all.

It seems like one of the most humble positions you can take on the issue.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
If someone acknowledges that there is the possibility of there being a God while at the same time they don't necessarily personally believe in one, I'm not seeing where intellectual dishonesty fits into that at all.

It seems like one of the most humble positions you can take on the issue.

Uh-huh.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out

You can say that about God because God can't be proven to be true or untrue. How can you say, "God does/does not exist" without referencing faith? You can say, "I don't have faith in God, but don't know if He exists," because nobody KNOWS whether He exists or not. There's a difference between believing and knowing. Likewise, you can say, "I believe in God, but don't KNOW whether He exists or not."

You can not be convinced enough to believe in something that can't be proven or disproven conclusively, but admit that you could be wrong. That's basically what I mean when I say, "I don't believe in God, but I'm open to the possibility that He exists and I'm wrong, because who's to say?"

The earth being flat analogy isn't an apt one, I think. I mean, we're dealing with things that can't be proven when we're talking about God. If you could not prove conclusively that the earth was flat or not, you'd be right to say you don't absolutely know whether it's flat or not.

I personally think my way is the only really logical way to look at it. How can you KNOW if God exists or not? You can't. You can only have faith one way or the other. As AJ and Bella have said, I think it's humble.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I personally think my way is the only really logical way to look at it. How can you KNOW if God exists or not? You can't. You can only have faith one way or the other. As AJ and Bella have said, I think it's humble.

I guess I see it as more wishy-washy and conciliatory than humble. I mean, if you are not convinced that God exists but cannot discount the possibility, then just say "I don't know" instead of saying you're an atheist. Same thing for believing he probably exists but not being convinced. There's no reason to choose up sides if you aren't convinced either way. I guess maybe what I'm really arguing for is for more people to call themselves agnostics.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I do call myself agnostic. But if the criteria for being agnostic is simply admitting you don't know for sure, I think technically everyone in the world is an agnostic, because nobody CAN know.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Being a theist is kind of a default position for many people, who are brought up into it...
...for some people in some circumstances. You seem to be considering only a specific portion of the discussion.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
...for some people in some circumstances. You seem to be considering only a specific portion of the discussion.

What percent of people in America are brought up, to some degree, to be Christian, Jewish, or Muslim? 70%? 80%? 90%?

I know there is a very low percentage of atheists in America, and a lot of them probably don't promote atheism to their kids. So it appears that we are talking about more than just some people.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Whatever, I'm going to drop it. You seem to understand the limits and applications of your statements, so I won't bother heckling you about strict conditions. To clarify, I was thinking of the entire human race. Maybe I should have been more careful about what specifically I was considering.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do call myself agnostic. But if the criteria for being agnostic is simply admitting you don't know for sure, I think technically everyone in the world is an agnostic, because nobody CAN know.

You know, just like noone can know if there are 2000 lb purple mice living on the moon. So, write me down as agnostic about that one.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I didn't think anyone else knew about the purple mice religion!

And I will. I'm one too.

But anyone who claims to know whether they really do exist on the moon is just going on faith, not proof. Don't let them fool you!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You know, just like noone can know if there are 2000 lb purple mice living on the moon. So, write me down as agnostic about that one.

The big difference between 2000 lb purple mice living on the moon and a deity would be that one is falsifiable and the other is not. Which is, IMO, a better platform from which to attack belief in a deity, although it only shows it to be unscientific, not untrue. And I think most reasonable people acknowledge that religion has no place in scientific matters.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Ivy said:
The big difference between 2000 lb purple mice living on the moon and a deity would be that one is falsifiable and the other is not.

Also true. I was going to say that, but I opted for the playful route instead.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That doesn't really negate my point, though. My point is that you have to understand why religion is so useful, helpful and meaningful to so many individuals.
Yes, yes, and can also justify any action, in the mind of a true believer. Genocide, for example.

I know most religious people on the board are peaceful, but in a theoretical argument on The Practical Benefits of Religion (Which shouldn't be argued anyway, that's not what faith is about), I'll gladly provide the counterpoint.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
How can atheism be considered deep? By its very nature it's less than shallow, because it describes a lack of belief. If an ocean is deep, and a puddle is shallow then what is a desert?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've shown that agnosticism by definition can never be the correct stance to take, it is a self-contradictory position.

I am sorry, but this one of the most inaccurate things I've ever heard in the entire discussion of religion. If you think that agnosticism is self-contradictory, then you do not understand the purpose of agnosticism. I am stating that people do not know, and never will know. As it so happens, people do not know... and I'm betting my money that people never will know.

The proposition there is very simply and straight forward, and does not contradict itself. Further more, it is proven at least partly true, in a factual sense, already. The human race will have to end before we can know if all of the assertion is true.

Much of your points about agnosticism being wrong were based on assumed premises, like for instance, that I believe in a dichotomy between the natural spiritual "realm" (and I believe in no such thing). I am pleading ignorance, though. That's not a fallacy. Appealing to ignorance is a fallacy, because you would be concluding something based on what you don't know. But I am, perhpas better put, conceding to ignorance. I have no way of knowing, so I don't know. That's just reasonable. A wise person should know when to say "I don't know".

Agnosticism does not lead to any sort of discovery because it pleads that we'll never know enough to make an educated conclusion. Atleast by taking a Theistic or Atheistic position we can actually learn about the universe because we make an effort to do so, in these positions we try to gather observations and see if they fit or do not fit the idea of God, it is progress towards a conclusion.

Baseless assertion once more. I'm very interested in studdying a lot of things. The particular subject of God however, is an unenlightening waste of time.

Statements like "God exists" are either true or false, they cannot be Neither. Agnosticism holds that the statement "God exists" can neither be true nor false, which is fundamentally the wrong approach.

That's a real bastardization of epistemological thinking, right there. Agnosticism holds no such impliciations. Any agnostic knows that one of the two statements, there is or isn't a God, must be true. However, the main point is that regardless of which one is fact, humans will never, ever, know. That's very important. There is a reality here, but the problem is that it will be known. Is that clear? The word agnostic means "without knowing".

O really? Well last time I checked we're on our way to a theory that unifies quantum mechanics and general relativity, which would be one step closer having a grand-theory of the universe. We're a clever species contrary to popular belief, just not All of us are, but the individuals that are definitely know how to find these kinds of things out and pass the knowledge down to us. Think about how much knowledge has been amassed so recently, and how much more we will obtain in the future.

Questions about creators of the universe, or meaning of life, or crap like that, will not be answered because they are subjects which, by their nature, transcend evidence. That's one of the most important things to consider here. One of the reasons this debate is dumb, is people are arguing about something so fundamental in power, that it defines existence, and therefore defines the idea of what is or isn't relevant reasoning or decent proof. There are some mysteries of the universe that will always be mysteries. The unified theory is probably not one of them, but I think you're very foolish if you think that's really a step to basically solving existence.

Have you ever heard the theory about how we cannot objectively study the mind? The reason we can never truly do it, is that every human being has to use their mind to study anything. Therefore, we can't understand anything about the mind that require an outside perspective. These questions about the fundamental workings of existence suffer from the same problem.

It is probably the most important source of conflict in the history of the human race, a world without religion is more unified than one divided by religion.

1) That's probably an over-statement of it's importance. And even if it is, my point is that it shouldn't be, and it's not something I just blame on the religious, it is something I blame on the doggedly unreligious as well. Let it go, like me. Then there'd be no conflict over this.
2) A world without religion would be slightly more unified. So would a world with everyone belieiving one particular religion. Never the less, the world would still be divided by race, culture, ethnicity, language, region, philosophy anf so fourth. Could you possibly get rid of all of those differences? Would you want to?

Reread that and promise never to say it again. Howabout we concede ignorance to Everything? Wouldn't that be great? We don't know how Anything works at all!!! I never thought that I'd see the words Wise and Ignorance used together...

Strawman... I'm hardly telling people to ignore everything. I am telling people to understand that some particular subjects, often by way of the perameters that define them, are hopeless causes. I repeat that I have never advocated a total halt of inquiry. I think you are failing to acknowledge very basic concepts of philosophy here. You are failing to account for plain old fallibalism and unknowability. I've never seen anyone do that before.

So have at it. What happens when an irresistable force collides with an unmovable object? By your philosophy, I expect you to spend a very long time trying to answer this...

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The big difference between 2000 lb purple mice living on the moon and a deity would be that one is falsifiable and the other is not. Which is, IMO, a better platform from which to attack belief in a deity, although it only shows it to be unscientific, not untrue. And I think most reasonable people acknowledge that religion has no place in scientific matters.
The statement 'there exists a 2000lb purple mouse living on the moon' is actually unfalsifiable, that is, it is not contradicted by any observation. It is always possible that it exists somewhere, because the entire moon cannot be checked at once. That said, the nonexistence of a 2000lb purple mouse living on the moon can be inferred from the facts and laws which we assume everyday: mice evolved on earth, have not developed spaceships, and in the absence of oxygen would not be living for very long.

Anyway, statements are either true or false, but not both or neither. Assuming that truth is the goal, while theism and atheism might be true, agnosticism is never true, and therefore, is always the wrong choice.