• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why modern atheism is so shallow

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No, I can tell the difference. Mainly it has to do with calling me stupid, which I bounce between being amused by and finding incredibly frustrating.

If it's any consolation, I consider you ignorant, not stupid.

You'll be in my prayers.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
the issue is not whether people take things on faith. of course they do. the issue is not whether scientists are infallible. of course they can be wrong. the issue that the alternative = religious immaterialism, is to talk of nothings.

My issue with this is my own personal experience, which sadly cannot be documented or measured satisfactorally. Science has fallen well short of explaining why my hip isn't a grinding mass of gristle right now, and how an auditory hallucination could impart accurate information outside of the physical limits of my knowledge.

It's impossible to talk about this stuff with most athiests, though. Anyone who has had an experience with something unexplainable is automatically discounted. The basis of this is generally "Well I had X number of folks try to tell me, and I honestly listened, but they were an asshole and were ignorant...therefore you are as well". I used to, before my own encounters. It was only afterwards that I started looking around for others who'd had similar experiences. Most included extreme leaps to conclusions, granted. Some were undoubtedly pathetic attempts to garner attention. But some of them couldn't be explained away so easily. It always feels like "Tell me how much I weigh to a tenth of a gram, but don't use anything that measures mass".

If it's any consolation, I consider you ignorant, not stupid.

Here's my issue with this: Can you point to evidence of this, outside of this topic? Or is this all it takes to be relegated to the status of "sheeple", without ever hearing anything else but which side of the issue I'm on? Or am I just a part-time lunatic, going bat-shit bonkers whenever the topic of religion/spirituality/metaphysics is raised, then returning to normal citizen status when we move on to electronics or astronomy?

Powderpuff

Atheists are not a group

Originally Posted by Peguy
And the general tendency to dismiss rather than actually attempt to understand religion or religious sentiment is a big weakness of modern atheist polemics. At least the older atheists showed more appreciation for the many aspects of religious belief.

I read all the comments in thsi thread... well almost all.... and I just don't understand how 'atheists' are described as if they are a group. Who are these people? Where and when do they meet? How do you recognise them?

The fact is that there are no atheist churches or meeting rooms. There is no atheist bible and certainly there are no "atheist polemics". In fact why would they even call themselves atheists? This is rather like defining ones self as a non-bedwetter or not-a-beatles-fan. People who don't believe in a god have nothing in common. You may argue that disbelief is a shared property but then you'd also have to say that they all don't have three legs and all don't stab themslves regularly and an infinite set of other none events.

Attributing any bad behaviour, like Stalin's genocide, to atheism is ridiculous. Many bad things have been done in the name of religion but I am not aware of any atrocities done in the name of disbelief in gods.

I am a disbeliever but do not call myself an atheist. It gives too much credence to theism and certainly does not define me in any way.

Powderpuff

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Originally Posted by Peguy
And the general tendency to dismiss rather than actually attempt to understand religion or religious sentiment is a big weakness of modern atheist polemics. At least the older atheists showed more appreciation for the many aspects of religious belief.

I read all the comments in thsi thread... well almost all.... and I just don't understand how 'atheists' are described as if they are a group. Who are these people? Where and when do they meet? How do you recognise them?

The fact is that there are no atheist churches or meeting rooms. There is no atheist bible and certainly there are no "atheist polemics". In fact why would they even call themselves atheists? This is rather like defining ones self as a non-bedwetter or not-a-beatles-fan. People who don't believe in a god have nothing in common. You may argue that disbelief is a shared property but then you'd also have to say that they all don't have three legs and all don't stab themslves regularly and an infinite set of other none events.

Attributing any bad behaviour, like Stalin's genocide, to atheism is ridiculous. Many bad things have been done in the name of religion but I am not aware of any atrocities done in the name of disbelief in gods.

I am a disbeliever but do not call myself an atheist. It gives too much credence to theism and certainly does not define me in any way.

Powderpuff

i think all the fuss comes from people making the mistaken belief that athiesm is a world view. Atheism can be part of a world view, however, it is not in and of itself a worldview.

Im currently reading an awesome book about a particular persons world view that includes atheism: "Sense and Goodness Without a God: a defense of metaphysical naturalism" Its a far cry from the nihilistic atheism that many automatically attribute to atheism. it discusses everything from epistomology, morality, paranormal claims, non religious morality, the meaning of life etc...

its far less offensive than the ilk of dawkins, and on top of that, its also far more uplifting and accurate. the book is amazingly thorough
(he is obviously far more well read than the average 'pop' athiest biologist...):

Amazon.com: Sense and Goodness Without God: A Defense of Metaphysical Naturalism: Richard Carrier: Books

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
There are two things that you said that caught my attention:

Most people's mentalities are fundamentally unaltered from the days when these functions were performed by religion. Some smart guy out there, whom they will never talk to directly, knows how the universe works, and is seeing to such details so they don't have to...meanwhile they read the Cliff's Notes once in a great while and go back to their beer.

It seems to me that you are looking for equivalence. However, they are simply not equivalent. I'm a strong believer in 'people are people', but that's like saying all believers are the same, all societies and all systems are the same. They aren't.

You say that we can not prove that pills do not come from trees. I ask you - what proof would you accept that they came from somewhere else? I'm pretty sure I could be present at every step of the process that you wish, even trace the ingredients through the whole process, so feel free to scale it to your comfort.

In a similar way, you say that we turn on the TV and it just works. Now, I understand that I don't have full knowledge of how a TV works. So lets start with the premise - the TV turns on and I get a show. I want to know why this is... so how can I do it? Pull out the manufacturer handbook? Break down each component? All the way down to basic physics, the experiments that the theories are built on. I could do all of them, as far as I know. I mean, it would be tedious proving all the semiconductor technology in scale, but it could be done.

Even if there are tons of atheists... hell, more atheists than all others that are prone to full fledged scientism, it doesn't change the system itself, or the principles it is built on.

Science has fallen well short of explaining why my hip isn't a grinding mass of gristle right now, and how an auditory hallucination could impart accurate information outside of the physical limits of my knowledge.

And good for science. That's what makes the whole "atheists are shallow" thing a joke to us. You fill in your blanks, pretty much a god of the gaps, while we say we don't know. You wave your hand and explain it away, while science says... nope! No claims until they can be verified.

There is a conflict between science and religion, because religion has forever been doing "faithism" - that is, explaining tangible things that science should of. Your example is exactly that. More often than not, calls of scientism ring out when faith gets pushed back to where it should be, not when scientists delve into areas they shouldn't.

Yet, somehow the minority parts of atheists and such that actually are prone to scientism get blown into a huge proportion, while faith continues to be used at every level to do exactly the same thing by the vast majority of believers.

dga

MBTI Type
ENTP
How can atheism be considered deep? By its very nature it's less than shallow, because it describes a lack of belief. If an ocean is deep, and a puddle is shallow then what is a desert?

its deeper because while you are worrying about the volume of water, atheists are wondering about everything else.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I grew up with Christianity, and actually explored it quite a bit. I'm not really one to dismiss a system I don't understand and I'm not one to ignore the spiritual. These days i am atheist for much the same reasons Jack said he was. To understand the system in churches is to wish to leave it. Maybe Ps go further outside the box with their thinking or maybe Js see something we don't, but the sort of religious approach taken in the first article is very J appealing.

My first problem was many preachers I heard stated a list of facts which were correct, then drew completely obscure and illogical conclusions from them. People checked the facts and said, all this is true therefore God is a purple elephant, and believed them.

Second problem. As an Fi I see things on a personal level. Many people in the church were not comfortable being themselves if they were not the same because of the mentality of the group. Many children were also quite sheltered by parents in the church; something I consider to be a form of child abuse because you are basically setting them up for psychological underdevelopment, and the only way it can be positive in that sense is that it inspires rebellion.

My biggest problem though was the realisation that perfection is destructive. Christianity is flawed in the same sense utopia is flawed and communism is flawed. The teachings have some merit, but to put them into practise as a rule system is essentially to suppress individuality and free thought. And the cruelest part is that it lets the individual do this to themself. How far does a free philosophical rather than theological thinker get in the church? How far can one make statements based on real world logic if it disagrees with scripture? If real world logic disagrees with scripture is scripture then questioned? If scripture is questioned when real world logic disagrees with it, is real world logic a better system and actually the system you are using?

I also know the power of music and groups on the individual. And the power of written verse. These things conjure up spiritual euphoria without the need for a God. It is a normal human reaction to them. If you stand in a building with 1000 people impassioned and singing at the top of their lungs it is spiritually uplifting and driving. You can't ignore it and you feel out of place to not be part of it. Many dictators have known this and used it well to their advantage.

So yeh, I wouldn't call myself a strict Atheist because believing in just concrete reality is decently narrow minded, but I am definitely not religion's biggest fan. And I don't see the need for a group mentality and pressure to conform on something which is such a personal issue. I'd say believe, act well toward fellow humans (including respecting their right to difference), and scrap the time wasting evangelism and singing. I don't think God will mind how much you respect his awesomeness. More what was in your heart. As they say, all are equal in God's eyes, if they can't buy me, I'm guessing they can't buy him.

If you want an answer to the Atheist shallow question, I think the church has brought it on themselves. They have moved more to trendy and manipulative forms of teaching and recruiting, and many people have reacted negatively and thrown out the baby with the bathwater. I had a good experience in a church recently where the preacher talked about what people could do for humanity. He then followed it with a clear description of what the plan was, no bias or convincing people either way. Where he disagreed with views of others he took them into account and stated his opinion on them, again making it clear it was his opinion and letting the people decide for themselves. He had 100% disclosure on where he wanted to go, what the options were, and accepted any feedback and took it on board. He didn't once say this is what we need to do because it is God's will or mission. And he didn't give the feeling you were obliged to do it. He just said here's an idea. If you want to do it come join us, if you don't that's all good. It was like power preaching turned backwards, a breathe of fresh air really. And it meant no one in the building felt pressured to be anything they won't, or jump on board the crusade. They just got to attend and see the facts, chat to people, and make their own decisions and conclusions. Imagine trusting people to do that...

Chukamok

MBTI Type
IXFP
How is that something as simple as "not believing in god" produce so much verbage. The only other nothingness that could produce this much philosophizing is Zen Buddhism.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't believe because I have no reason to, in all my observations, active or passive. I won't debate it though, I've personalized my conviction.

Exactly. And if the religion in question demands converts, having no rational reason for them to convert is kind of a bad thing.

G

Ginkgo

There are several misconceptions floating around here. I'm inclined to undo them.

Agnosticism is a concept that takes the stance, "I don't know". It does not have to be of a religious context. There is no way to know something with all positivity. Therefore, we are all agnostics, whether it be of a theistic issue or otherwise. Contrary to popular belief, agnosticism does not lie in the middle of the Atheism-------------Theism spectrum. In fact, it is something else entirely.

Agnosticism is not (or at least shouldn't) be a stance in which one cannot decide.

On the other hand, Atheism declares the lack of belief in deities. There is no need to say that "modern atheism" is shallow, because atheism is merely a concept. I believe what the OP was implying was that modern atheists are shallow. However, that would be a bold statement and I can see why he would evade it.

If a man were to ask me "Is there a god?"
and I answered, "I believe there is a god", I would not be answering his question.

Likewise, if a man were to ask me "Do you believe there is a god?"
and I responded "There is a god!", I still wouldn't be answering his question.

You must either be an Agnostic Atheist or an Agnostic Theist. This was probably what reason was trying to illustrate.

Furthermore, it is inherently flawed to say that atheists were, at any time, "God hating" because one would have to believe in a god in order to hate him. I speculate that the OP was implying that past atheists were more passionate about their stance, while modern atheists take a colder, scientific approach.

Some of what I said has already been covered, but after reading 17 pages, I felt that I should reiterate it.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
There's a simple and easy explaination:

Atheism is more acceptable than it once was; yeu aren't likely to be murdered for being an atheist anymore.

As such, alot of the people who were retards or had no clue about their religion, are still retards, and still have no clue, but now they don't know about whot they don't even know.

This isn't an issue with "the new atheist". It's an issue with people just being dumb in general and not paying attention to past history, nor to their surroundings.

There are a few good atheists, just as there are a few good buddhists, a few good christians, a few good jews, a few good agnostics, but the thing is, it's just 'a few'. "The few". Most will have no clue about their own religious beliefs, much less anyone else's. If yeu increase the number of one group, and make the requirements for their survival to be more relaxed, then expect them to attract the stupid and inept, those who know nothing and feel no need to know.

So really, why is this even a question? Seems kinda obvious to me...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I do agree that's pretty arrogant to say that God couldn't exist, and then use reason to back it up. Reason can only be applied to observations.

I'm actually agnostic, because I don't think people can confidently say there is no God. However, I do think that it's ridiculous to assert that your faith is right for everyone. For instance, if I want to worship, say, Athena, a Christian shouldn't be able to tell me, "You're wrong, my God is the only one that exists. Stop that." They don't know that, and it's none of their business.

Basically, the attitude I have as an agnostic, is that religion should be a matter of choice rather than pressure.

Bachelor Blumfeld

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
.Reason can only be applied to observations.

You're conflating common sense and reason. Common sense entails our understanding of empirical phenomena. Pure reason (which I employ to distinguish it with common sense), as Kant said, entails solely the a priori (i.e. metaphysics). As Kant stated in his Prolegomena the following:

"I should think that Hume might fairly have laid as much claim to common sense as Beattie, and in addition to a critical reason (such as the latter did not possess), which keeps common sense in check and prevents it from speculating, or, if speculations are under discussion restrains the desire to decide because it cannot satisfy itself concerning its own arguments. By this means alone can common sense remain sound. Chisels and hammers may suffice to work a piece of wood, but for steel-engraving we require an engraver's needle. Thus common sense and speculative understanding are each useful in their own way, the former in judgments which apply immediately to experience, the latter when we judge universally from mere concepts, as in metaphysics, where sound common sense, so called in spite of the inapplicability of the word, has no right to judge at all."

MBTI Type
INxJ
How is that something as simple as "not believing in god" produce so much verbage. The only other nothingness that could produce this much philosophizing is Zen Buddhism.

Probably because some of them are as dogmatic about it as others are about orthodox religions.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
i'm christian and proud :)
2yy9h0z.jpg

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
There are several misconceptions floating around here. I'm inclined to undo them.

Agnosticism is a concept that takes the stance, "I don't know". It does not have to be of a religious context. There is no way to know something with all positivity. Therefore, we are all agnostics, whether it be of a theistic issue or otherwise. Contrary to popular belief, agnosticism does not lie in the middle of the Atheism-------------Theism spectrum. In fact, it is something else entirely.

Agnosticism is not (or at least shouldn't) be a stance in which one cannot decide.

On the other hand, Atheism declares the lack of belief in deities. There is no need to say that "modern atheism" is shallow, because atheism is merely a concept. I believe what the OP was implying was that modern atheists are shallow. However, that would be a bold statement and I can see why he would evade it.

If a man were to ask me "Is there a god?"
and I answered, "I believe there is a god", I would not be answering his question.

Likewise, if a man were to ask me "Do you believe there is a god?"
and I responded "There is a god!", I still wouldn't be answering his question.

You must either be an Agnostic Atheist or an Agnostic Theist. This was probably what reason was trying to illustrate.

Furthermore, it is inherently flawed to say that atheists were, at any time, "God hating" because one would have to believe in a god in order to hate him. I speculate that the OP was implying that past atheists were more passionate about their stance, while modern atheists take a colder, scientific approach.

Some of what I said has already been covered, but after reading 17 pages, I felt that I should reiterate it.

Something I feel should be repeated. :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Overall there seems to be a gross ignorance of not only religious teachings, but religious history, and whatnot. At best, most atheist arguments seem to apply only to one form of religious expression(fundamentalism), and completely ignores the vast variety of religious forms that do exist, not to mention the numerous religious-based critiques of fundamentalism.

So they pick out a few people who argue poorly and just debunk these straw men instead of your real arguments?

Gosh, that sounds familiar.

Anyway, the argument here seems to boil down basically to:

1) Modern popular atheist writers are obnoxiously anti-religious and lack the emotional punch of older ones,

Agreed. I find Hitchens and the others entertaining sometimes, but they don't have anything on Nietzsche. Also agreed that young dogmatic atheists are pretty obnoxious themselves--any atheist who claims absolute certainty in his position is a moron.

2) Many modern atheists seem to forget the historical importance of religion and/or don't know anything about it in the first place,

Also agreed. There are definitely lots of stupid atheists.

3) Many modern atheists seem to think they can completely debunk faith simply by debunking funamentalism.

That's not necessarily true--there are some people who believe this, but I don't think most atheists believe they are debunking non-fundamentalist forms of faith when they debunk fundamentalism; they just see no reason to even address such forms of faith. In fact, Dawkins himself points out in chapter one of The God Delusion that his book is only concerned with literal fundamentalist religion!

Non-fundamentalist faith never makes any empirically measurable claims, so trying to prove or disprove it doesn't really make sense. It's a decision that's made pre-rationally, as I understand it, so truth/falsehood is irrelevant because it makes no falsifiable claims.

Fundamentalism does make lots of falsifiable claims--I guess your point here is that fundamentalists do not represent nearly as great a majority of religious people as atheists like to pretend they do.

And on that point, you're probably right. I'm an atheist (though not a gnostic one) and I do appreciate and respect God's historical and social importance, even if I think he doesn't literally exist. I fully agree with the statement that:

"If God didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

I think the modern atheist authors you speak of here have gained prominence largely as a backlash toward the recent rise in popularity of ridiculous fundamentalist Christian and Islam sects in a post-9/11 environment.

Hitches excepted (who describes himself as anti-theist), I don't think most modern atheists are targeting you, Peguy, or intelligent faith in general. They are writing these angry works as a reactionary stance to the scarier forms of fundamentalism that have had a recent resurgence in popularity--I simply don't think they think they've debunked your brand of faith.

The problem is that so many religious people grossly misunderstand the nature of faith, and they give you a bad name. You're right that we shouldn't assume that all religious people are stupid fundamentalists, but surely you see where this perception comes from in today's media environment.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also:

The problem is that most people are not philosophers, and in practice we need the assistance of revelation and religious experience to make ethics a living reality.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRReeeeealllly now?

Well, maybe you do, but I'd really love to see some genuine evidence as to why you've decided this is universally true for everyone.