User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am morally and emotionally an atheist primary to my being an intellectual one, just sayin'.

*shrugs*
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Darling, I can find and procure at least 10 or 15 posts of yours where you, yes, DIRECTLY ATTACK ME. (The above, ironically, not being one of them).

It has taken everything within me, (primarily pity), not to strike back at you.

You have mastered the talent of being insulting under the moderator's radar, whereas I have not.

Because I care more about this forum than I do not caring about you, you shall officially join the lone Wolf on my ignore list.

Peace out MP.

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen him being rude or annoying.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Actually, I don't think I've ever seen him being rude.
    How many times have you seen he and I engage each other?

How long have you been a member?

*Looks at join date*

Ahhh, ok.

`

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Forgive the semantics but how can modern Atheism be shallow? Isn't it a select grouping of Atheists that can be called 'shallow'. The exact same thing can be said for Theism and Theists.

Sure there are some newer (younger) atheists whos argument consists of "lol God is stupid it makes no sense", all you have to do is read some youtube comments on videos about God etc to see that. But there is a disproportionately larger amount of younger theists (this includes All religions) who are just as bad, or worse (radical islam, evangelical creationists) in their reasoning.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Actually, I don't think I've ever seen him being rude or annoying.
    I'm afraid Captain Chick is one of those people who, as the phrase goes, dishes it out but can't take it in. She also seems to have some element of a victimization complex.

I stand by my own story, that most of the times I was hostile that she's presumably refering to are times when A) I said something with little or no intended hostility, but she perceived there to be, or B) I was being hostile, but only after she provoked it with her own escelation. As time went on, A was increasingly replaced by B.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

`

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm not an atheist, but I am not a believer in God either?
    Prefix "A" = Without

Theism = belief in the existence of a god or gods

You are an Atheist. By middle-ages christian standard you'd be burned at stake, or by radical islamic standard you'd be stoned as well.

Agnosticism is the idea that we can never know whether there is a God or not, which is basically pleading to human ignorance. There either is or isn't a God and we Can determine it. People always seem to cling to the idea of the separate realms of the natural and supernatural, that the natural world can't prove anything about the supernatural world. Sorry but this idea is garbage, essentially a fullblown false dilemma fallacy that runs on assumptions, (whereas the controversy of Is there or Isn't there a God is not a false dilemma because by definition it is either true or false). If God can interact with the natural world, and he is supernatural, then they are connected, they are not exclusive of one another. Just like how if Jesus (in natural form on earth) and the Pope can interact with God then the natural and supernatural are not mutually exclusive. This all comes down to the idea of an Origin for the universe as well. If there is no origin then there need not be a God. If there is an origin then we may actually need a God, maybe. But, in either scenario, agnosticism is always the wrong assumption to make. Let me emphasize once again, Agnosticism can Never be correct, while Atheism or Theism can or cannot. Its like being an undecided voter because they don't think they can ever find out enough about the candidates to make an informed decision.

Also, I understand that there can be Agnostic Theists and Agnostic Atheists but doesn't that defeat the purpose of each position?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Its like being an undecided voter because they don't think they can ever find out enough about the candidates to make an informed decision.
    How is that inherently wrong? Agnosticism, is in my opinion, the only right way to go, quite contrary to your opinion. Human beings will always be ignorant of the necessary knowledge to understand the over-arching impetus of the universe. I find this entire conflict, in all of its small and great forms, through all of time, between theism and atheism to be unwinable because it is unknowable. It is one of the most pointless sources of conflict in the history of the human race.

"Let's take something impossible to prove, concerning scales too big to comprehend, that is out of human control, that mostly concerns what we think about existence after death anyway... and swear our lives on it."

That is the premise of the religious conflict.

The only wise thing to do is concede ignorance and stopping wasting so much life with this crap.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

You all did an excellent job of conjuring intellectual stimulating ideas, Peguy especially. My dear friend, I congratulate you on the novel piece of literature in philosophy of religion!

And Magic, you were the most trenchant of them all. I admire your ability to cut straight to the essence of the issue (without getting sidetracked by the human element and petty detail of the discourse) as well as your ability to organize your thoughts so distinctly. You are my personal model for clarity and rigor. Nature must feel like an open book to you and your method of analysis and discourse ought to be the ABCs of epistemology itself.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    *opens can of worms*

I take issue with that, because oh crap, there is a huge elephant over there, look!

The elephant is the flipside to that coin. The bitterness between people it can also cause, and the reason to start wars religion provides.

Just making a point.
    That doesn't really negate my point, though. My point is that you have to understand why religion is so useful, helpful and meaningful to so many individuals. I don't think religion is all good or all bad; in fact, that's precisely my point: you have to take into consideration the positives AND negatives of anything, to the best of your ability, if you're ever going to see it in an accurate, unbiased light.

The point I was trying to make is that religion satisfies deep needs in human beings, or else it wouldn't be so prevalent the world over. Hopefully we can divorce this analogy from its negative connotation, because I think it accurately depicts a cause-effect relationship between needs and actions: A lot of alcoholics become alcoholics because they are trying to self-medicate their psychological and emotional pain away. When someone is addicted to alcohol, the alcoholism is only a symptom of deeper psychological pain, so you need to address and fix that, or the person will go back to alcohol eventually, even if they manage to stay sober for a while. They are using alcohol as a coping mechanism. Without expressing any positive or negative opinion toward religion, religion can be and often is used in the same way, as a coping mechanism.

Religion, I think, is a result of some deeper needs in humans, needs humans are trying to satisfy via religion and spirituality: a need to feel safe, for example; a need for love; a need to belong; a need for purpose and worth, and so on. All of these are just examples of why a particular individual might turn to spirituality/religion. Furthermore, many people satisfy these needs via religion in a peaceful way. You can't ignore the many religious people the world over who have not and would not use their faith as a reason to be violent or quarrelsome.

I think it's especially good if you have experienced religious faith first-hand, if you have once been a believer, because that way you can probably appreciate why so many find religion central to their lives; you might be able to better appreciate the positive effects it has on many. You can't deny the tremendous amount of good religion brings to many people. It's not all bad - but neither is it all good. To focus too much on either the good or the bad is to only see one part of the whole.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love