Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default What is a friend to you?

I'm asking from a philosophical point of view. In your own words, how do you define a friend?

I will not respond to this thread. I'm just interested in different viewpoints.

MBTI
    INTP

A friend is someone who shares your deepest concerns in common.

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm asking from a philosophical point of view. In your own words, how do you define a friend?

I will not respond to this thread. I'm just interested in different viewpoints.
    Someone with whom I enjoy conversations, share mutual interests, and whose perspectives I can relate to. And of course, them being able to say the same about me. It has to be mutual.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Someone I willingly spend time with to seek companionship.

Someone who will lend me an ear to listen to my problems- and be sympathetic- while also doling out the verbal smackdown when I'm totally in the wrong (and I can't see it). Someone with whom I'm comfortable returning this favor. Because we both know we've got each other's interests in mind. Tough love.

A friend is trustworthy.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

That's the person I can punch in the face, yell at, get pissed, and any other crazy thing I can think up.. It's someone I'm never worried about losing in my life. I know they're always going to be there.. there's a deep sense of security in that. And whatever dumbass thing I do, I know they'll still be there when the dust settles. That's more important to me than anything else, is the loyalty. It's what sets friends from aquaintances.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    infp

Someone who I can just sit there comfortably with and have a good time. I was camping with my best friend of 9 years and we hardly even talked. We just sat, or walked around, and it was a lot of fun because we really don't even need to talk to eachother to have fun, we both just sort of get it, know what I mean? We don't even really agree on everything or have similar perosnalities, but our personalities click in a unique way where it all works perfectly.

Kyuuei's description is quite good on this one.

No moss growing on me Array Giggly's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

A friend is someone who is supportive and desires what's best for you, and you for them.

I've answered in a similar thread at INTPc some time ago and it was then when I realised that I have the lowest standards ever regarding friendships.
    People that I can have fun with and they don't wish to harm me in some way. And that's about all of it.

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

*goes to dictionary.com*

..I actually think this definition is nice and short and accurate:

"a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard."

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

For someone to be a friend, I must have gathered sufficient reason to believe that:

They want what is best for me.
    They would put my needs higher than that of a stranger.
    I can confide in them.
    I can presume their honesty with me.
    They want to have me as a friend (seems kind of obvious, and yet, none of the other factors actually guarantee this one).
    And lastly, they must be able to understand me to some minor extent. I still can't define what the exact extent is, but it's a problem when someone wants to do all of the above things for you, but can't comprehend your personal goals.

For me, friends are rare. I would not expect anyone to be my friend if they doubted my capacity to meet the above requirements, just as I would be wary of befriending them.
    Go to sleep, iguana.