• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is a friend to you?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Someone who keeps their distance, doesn't talk to much and isn't in the least dodgy.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Am I far away enough?

Hope I didn't say too much.

*Dodges flying things from Bella's direction.*

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Someone who keeps their distance, doesn't talk to much and isn't in the least dodgy.

How distant do you like to keep your relationships from you? Does what applies to who you consider a good friend also apply to how you want your romantic partner to be? just wondering.... *backs away slowly*

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Aaah, you two can come a little bit close, okay.

Yeah, that little list applies to romantic partners as well, I suppose. I don't need all that up in my face and tell me you love me a million times stuff.
Sort of side by side instead of facing each other, if you get what I'm saying.

I think I'm the strong, silent type in a girl's body. LOL.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Aaah, you two can come a little bit close, okay.

*pokes Bella with a stick.. okay it appears to be safe*

Yeah, that little list applies to romantic partners as well, I suppose. I don't need all that up in my face and tell me you love me a million times stuff.
Sort of side by side instead of facing each other, if you get what I'm saying.

I think I'm the strong, silent type in a girl's body. LOL.

Alright I get ya.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
A friend is someone I trust, care for, appreciate, feel secure with and respect and who does the same for me.

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
A friend is someone at whom I can yell if I'm pissed off, who isn't afraid to grab me by the arm or shake me by the shoulders and tell me I'm wrong about something and someone in whom I can actually confide.

True friends are rare. People betray trust or they leave and don't return. I tend not to trust easily and I'm not an easy person to befriend. Sure, I have quite a few acquaintances, but I prefer to spend my time alone.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
the OP got me interested at 'philosophically'. :p

a true friend is someone who has your interests ranked higher than his personal gain. not only that, you have to accept this love and share it. if someone really likes you and does all this shit for you that could either be really nice or really creepy. if you accept their gift, it's nice. if not, it is creepy. this gift has to be both accepted and shared for a true friendship to grow.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For me a true friendship is a two way relationship where there is genuine interest and loyalty for each other, they're the ones who are with you for the good times when you're tearing the town apart but still there when you're down offering their council and support.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
A true friend to me is someone who tells me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear- someone who's honest, knows how to keep their promise, watches my back, sticks up for me when necessary, doesn't gossip.

A kindred friend is the type of person I mentioned above, combined with someone who I can relate to on all levels. We share a sense of mutuality, resonance, common values, and most importantly, similar sense of humor. On a deeper level- we also talk about more relavent subjects of interest/current events.

I believe that the important ingredient in most relationships is having the ability to laugh with one another. Despite hardships, humor is a healthy way to release stress. If we share the same sense of humor, it lends a more genuine bond, a longer lasting friendship. It's the simple light-hearted moments that last a lifetime for me!

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've found that a true friend is one who's aspects of personality that I don't have in common with them are complimentary ones.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
A true friend to me, is someone who makes me a better person just by knowing them. They accept you for who you are and yet challenge you to become even better and strive to improve themselves and welcome any contribution you can offer them in that quest.

They listen to you, make you feel important, can accept your love or can receive just as much as they can give. I say the latter because it is important to me and is a sign of trust that a person be able to believe me and appreciate what I have to give to them, if a person cannot receive that shows to me distrust, and that there are emotional barricades.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm asking from a philosophical point of view. In your own words, how do you define a friend?

I will not respond to this thread. I'm just interested in different viewpoints.
I will quote my favorite saying about what a friend is to me.
It sometimes attributed to other sources, or considered anonymous, but I think I have the writer's identity.

Oh, the comfort,
the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person;
having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words,
but to pour them all out, just as they are,
chaff and grain together,
knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them,
keep what is worth keeping, and then,
with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.

George Eliot
pen name of Mary Ann Evans
novelist, 1819-1880