User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

A friend is someone at whom I can yell if I'm pissed off, who isn't afraid to grab me by the arm or shake me by the shoulders and tell me I'm wrong about something and someone in whom I can actually confide.

True friends are rare. People betray trust or they leave and don't return. I tend not to trust easily and I'm not an easy person to befriend. Sure, I have quite a few acquaintances, but I prefer to spend my time alone.
    "Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform style of thought." -Einstein

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily — weak people, in other words — they stand no chance!" -Snape

Em. Female INTx and Proud of it. Left-handed Calligrapher. Writer. Scientist. Type Five Enneagram.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Someone who's made my phone ring while lookin' for me, not money.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

the OP got me interested at 'philosophically'. :P

a true friend is someone who has your interests ranked higher than his personal gain. not only that, you have to accept this love and share it. if someone really likes you and does all this shit for you that could either be really nice or really creepy. if you accept their gift, it's nice. if not, it is creepy. this gift has to be both accepted and shared for a true friendship to grow.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

For me a true friendship is a two way relationship where there is genuine interest and loyalty for each other, they're the ones who are with you for the good times when you're tearing the town apart but still there when you're down offering their council and support.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

A true friend to me is someone who tells me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear- someone who's honest, knows how to keep their promise, watches my back, sticks up for me when necessary, doesn't gossip.

A kindred friend is the type of person I mentioned above, combined with someone who I can relate to on all levels. We share a sense of mutuality, resonance, common values, and most importantly, similar sense of humor. On a deeper level- we also talk about more relavent subjects of interest/current events.

I believe that the important ingredient in most relationships is having the ability to laugh with one another. Despite hardships, humor is a healthy way to release stress. If we share the same sense of humor, it lends a more genuine bond, a longer lasting friendship. It's the simple light-hearted moments that last a lifetime for me!

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

I've found that a true friend is one who's aspects of personality that I don't have in common with them are complimentary ones.
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

A true friend to me, is someone who makes me a better person just by knowing them. They accept you for who you are and yet challenge you to become even better and strive to improve themselves and welcome any contribution you can offer them in that quest.

They listen to you, make you feel important, can accept your love or can receive just as much as they can give. I say the latter because it is important to me and is a sign of trust that a person be able to believe me and appreciate what I have to give to them, if a person cannot receive that shows to me distrust, and that there are emotional barricades.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm asking from a philosophical point of view. In your own words, how do you define a friend?

I will not respond to this thread. I'm just interested in different viewpoints.
    I will quote my favorite saying about what a friend is to me.
    It sometimes attributed to other sources, or considered anonymous, but I think I have the writer's identity.

Oh, the comfort,
    the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person;
    having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words,
    but to pour them all out, just as they are,
    chaff and grain together,
    knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them,
    keep what is worth keeping, and then,
    with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.

George Eliot
    pen name of Mary Ann Evans
    novelist, 1819-1880

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I will quote my favorite saying about what a friend is to me.
    Gorgeous George. I love her. I love that.