• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intelligence or Creativity: Pick One.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I picked intelligence because I believe that it is easier to ascertain truths that are beneficial to your well-being (in every sense of the word) with intelligence, and that it is generally more conducive to an enjoyable lifestyle. It's hard to give my answer, though, because it really depends on semantics.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Creativity--intelligence is overrated (certain forms of). Creativity is like the meaning of life lol. Also high levels of creativity are correlated with high intelligence I believe so I think this question is a trick question.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Intelligence or Creativity: Pick One

Avg. intelligence, high creativity.

I have above avg intelligence and creativity somewhere around avg, maybe slightly above. As far as I'm aware. So I wouldn't change them, because all I'd be doing is dumbing myself needlessly. If I had to choose though creativity is better, but it's pretty useless without a good amount of intelligence.

I beg to differ. I have a son with low intelligence who is highly creative. He comes up with very creative ways to compensate for his cognitive deficits.:yes:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I beg to differ. I have a son with low intelligence who is highly creative. He comes up with very creative ways to compensate for his cognitive deficits.:yes:

How are you defining intelligence? If you're going by school performance/ standardize testing, I beg you to reconsider. Flexibility and coming up with workarounds is a sign of intelligence.

Take dyslexia... it has nothing to do with overall intelligence, but it does severely impact on academic abilities.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Intelligence. Being able to understand and work with complex and theoretical mathematics is something that I'd love to do, as well as advanced programming, linguistics, and physics. I envy people who are able to.

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
Seems to me that creativity is an integral part of intelligence.

If it isn't, how do you define intelligence? The ability to hold a lot of things in your head? Simultaneously creativity paired with low intelligence is like trying to paint a masterpiece with one or two colors. Without intelligence, creativity is useless. Intelligence on its own is valuable. Therefore I choose intelligence.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Intelligence or Creativity: Pick One

How are you defining intelligence? If you're going by school performance/ standardize testing, I beg you to reconsider. Flexibility and coming up with workarounds is a sign of intelligence.

Take dyslexia... it has nothing to do with overall intelligence, but it does severely impact on academic abilities.

You're right, of course. He showed signs of high intelligence early on: e.g., spoke in sentences at a year, considered for the gifted and talented program in kindergarten. By third grade, though, he had obvious learning disabilities that defied dx. We were shocked when we were told his IQ score was 82, with a 36-point disparity between verbal and performance scales.

My theory is that his schizophrenia had its onset in childhood, though he wasn't dx'd until he was 15. Psychosis can and often does affect cognitive function. I am also convinced that no one has figured out an accurate way of testing him.

He's creative in more traditional areas as well (painting, writing--his verbal scale is in the bright-normal range), but there are some definite cognitive problems. He can learn new tasks but only with one-on-one instruction in a low-stress environment with lots of repetition, he has a great deal of difficulty planning ahead (frequently runs out of food) and learned most of his ADLs (activities of daily living) by rote during a year of residential treatment.

He's an enigma, but he's my enigma.:heart:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'd prefer to be smart, I think. At least, I would be sure not to starve, I guess.
As far as I am now:

ability to learn: very good
ability to reason: average
ability to understand: below average
ability to grasp truths: very low
ability to grasp relationships: below average
ability to grasp facts: extremely good
ability to grasp meaning: below average
ability to think outside the box: very good

tendency to want to get out of bed: more than anybody else I know
overall motivation level: very high
inspiration: fluctuating depending on the task

I think my weakest point are introverted tasks (reasoning, understanding, meaning) while I excel at extraverted tasks (learning, facts, thinking outside the box, level of energy).

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
I would say that i m quiet a bright person, therfore gifted with analythical- logical thinking. But am I creative ? I think so, i can think outside the box, i m goofy and come up with new ideas...

If I could pick one,it would be highly Creative, because its the more exciting one... even though I think its absurd, that a creative person,is not intelligent etc.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have to be intelligent to create something.

I'm not sure if I posted in this thread a year ago, but I think intelligence and creativity are sort of correlated -- they are both about "making connections" -- and so I don't think it's very easy to be low in one and high in the other.

Creativity without intelligence is merely chaos.
Intelligence without creativity is merely structure.

I can see someone being more creative than smart, and vice versa, but none of this extremity stuff.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
The two go hand in hand, but I'd decide on creativity if the option to pick one or the other was realistic.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My two most prized possessions (yes, I claim intelligence, so shup) - I refuse to give up either!!! This thread should be illegal or something.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know...you can't put creativity into a number and then brag about it on typology forums! What's the use of that?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Revolving_Door.jpg

Or all around

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Creativity without intelligence is merely chaos.
Intelligence without creativity is merely structure.

The only time I have ever enjoy intelligence without creativity or "structure" is when I turn to someone else and say "dude, what was he smokin?"