• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intelligence or Creativity: Pick One.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely chose Creativity. >.o I'm already of average intelligence.. going a bit lower wouldn't bother me too much. To lose my creativity and imagination though? I don't know if I could live life like that! So uninspired and mechanical.. to think of it!

Oh, yes, definitely agree. My intelligence is average - even below average concerning mathematical or analytical skills - but I love the ability to imagine and dream. And if I can find someone to help me realize my dreams, even better!!! :D

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By the way, I'm going to play the NT now and ask you their favorite question that drives everyone bananas (oh man second time in a week - am I turning NT!?!!?!?!??!)

Define intelligence.

Define creativity.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
^You'll always be an NF to me. :D

But yea,

Intelligence= capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
Creativity= the ability to think outside the box

I think the two complement each other for greater reasoning skills allow for more opportunities to be creative.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

But yea,

Intelligence= capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.

I think the two complement each other for greater reasoning skills allow for more opportunities to be creative.

Short, honest analysis of my abilities:

ability to learn: acceptable
ability to reason: abomination
ability to understand: depends
ability to grasp truths: decent
ability to grasp relationships: acceptable
ability to grasp facts: heh depends on if I'm open or not
ability to grasp meaning: acceptable

ability to think outside the box: usually great, but not in a useful way.

Bottom line? I'm just your average fart.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Short, honest analysis of my abilities:

ability to learn: acceptable
ability to reason: abomination
ability to understand: depends
ability to grasp truths: decent
ability to grasp relationships: acceptable
ability to grasp facts: heh depends on if I'm open or not
ability to grasp meaning: acceptable

ability to think outside the box: usually great, but not in a useful way.

Bottom line? I'm just your average fart.

Oy. I can't define either.. because I'm not even sure of their definition yet. To me, it's totally different to say "My dog's smart as hell!" and "That poem is deep." They're both intelligence to me, even though the poem is creativity at work as well. It's a bit confusing and makes my brain hurt trying to define it XD !!

For me though?
ability to learn: Quick and flexible, so I suppose above average
ability to reason: With others, I do well, with myself, I'm about as adequate as a coke bottle.
ability to understand: This also depends for me.. Sometimes I just have to accept that I can't grasp the idea being thrown my way.
ability to grasp truths: Well when I end up seeing them.. I have a way of being naive though.
ability to grasp relationships: This, when it comes to myself, I'm decent. I know what I want, and what I don't like.. With others, sometimes I'm just lost.
ability to grasp facts: I'm actually pretty big about evidence and supporting facts so I'd say I grasp these quite well.
ability to grasp meaning: acceptable for me too.

ygolo

My termites win
For me creativity is about inspiration and motivation. My lack of creativity show through lack of inspiration.

I would much rather be an inspired tinkerer than an analytical vegetable. It's the inspiration that allowed me to work long hours without tiring.

My list similar to LLs:

ability to learn: good
ability to reason: good
ability to understand: good
ability to grasp truths: ????
ability to grasp relationships: ????
ability to grasp facts: good
ability to grasp meaning: good
ability to think outside the box: good

tendency to want to get out of bed: low
overall motivation level: low
inspiration: nearly non-existent

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Intelligence is boring! Creativity is, for me, the most essential part of life. What is your life if you are not creating soemthing with it?

I apply this not only to oil canvases and such, but also to just simple personal things. Intelligence has very little practical value, or at least creativity has more practical value. But maybe at that point they overlap once you get into problem solving and stuff.

Blah, I still pick creativity because it's more fun!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me creativity is about inspiration and motivation. My lack of creativity show through lack of inspiration.

I would much rather be an inspired tinkerer than an analytical vegetable. It's the inspiration that allowed me to work long hours without tiring.

My list similar to LLs:

ability to reason: good
ability to understand: good
ability to grasp truths: ????
ability to grasp relationships: ????
ability to grasp facts: good
ability to think outside the box: good

tendency to want to get out of bed: low
overall motivation level: low
inspiration: nearly non-existent

Looks like you need an ENFP in your life (The Inspirer!) :D j/k

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
I'd definitly say intelligence. Intelligence is a far better benefit in the long run, then creativity. It basicly enables you to accomplish any goal unhindered by the limitations of mediocracy.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1

But yea,

exactly, one is useless without the other in some form or another

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I know what it's like to be both, to an agree, and creativity is much more interesting. Just being intelligent with no outlet to it is cold, boring...really doesn't appeal to me much :/
Also, there are many intelligent people who aren't creative, and they tend to get frustrated because they don't have that outlet...

And while we're doing this :D

ability to reason: fair
ability to understand: excellent
ability to grasp truths: great
ability to grasp relationships: great
ability to grasp facts: fair...ish
ability to think outside the box: Depends on my mood, but usually good

tendency to want to get out of bed: very low :D
overall motivation level: good
inspiration: explosive!

MBTI Type
INxJ
Both are crucial in my opinion. I scanned a genius IQ chart and Albert Einstein had one of the lowest IQs in comparison, but he also made some of the greatest contributions out of the bunch. I believe it was his creativity and ability to think/perceive that put him ahead.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Both are crucial in my opinion. I scanned a genius IQ chart and Albert Einstein had one of the lowest IQs in comparison, but he also made some of the greatest contributions out of the bunch. I believe it was his creativity and ability to think/perceive that put him ahead.

That's probably true; Einstein was a very creative person. He was very curious in the way the world worked, so that helped fuel his creativity.
So perhaps how fascinating we find the world contributes a lot more than we give credit. Someone who reasons can do great things; someone who wants to understand further can change the world

Mole

Permabanned
Presence is the Environment; Intelligence and Creativity are the Content

If you could either have high intelligence paired with low creativity or low intelligence with high creativity, which would you pick? And why?

I couldn't decide right away, but I would choose creativity. With just intelligence you can accomplish a lot, but I believe it's easier to accomplish greatness with creativity because things innovation, uniqueness, and originality are often key to the ideas that make the biggest difference and stand out.

Also, I think high intelligence is more common than high creativity, I don't have any stats to back this up, and I'm not even sure if you can test for creativity... perhaps you could test someone's divergent thinking.

I don't want you to think about intelligence and creativity. I want you to think about presence.

So you ask me, as I know you will, why am I writing to this thread? Why don't I just start one of my own?

And that is because intelligence, creativity and presence are related.

And the relationship is simple -

Intelligence and creativity are perceived through the rear vision mirror
And presence is perceived through the windscreen.

And the windscreen is right in front of you, right now. And presence is rushing at you through the windscreen, but you don't see it.

Please look through the windscreen; I am just on the other side.

And when you post, you are present; and when you don't post you are absent.

Now this is just the bare bones of presence. And I want you to put flesh on presence. I want you to think about presence. I want you to make connections to presence.

But most of all I desire your presence; and I want you to desire mine.

And just as your presence is required, so is your presence of mind.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
wow, you guys jump on the creativity train quick. i thought my Ne would make me choose creativity instantly and admittedly, i'm edging towards it. you guys make it sound like choosing between a million bucks and herpes. anyways, i'm pretty convinced that creativity and intelligence help each other out. i think if you're high in one area, you're at least average in the other.

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think I would choose high intelligence, because you need some intelligence to know whether your creative pursuits are worthwhile and whether the results of your creativity are actually good. You can also replicate creativity in some ways by solving systems using very high intelligence. If you have high creativity with low intelligence, you can dream up a lot of nonsense while thinking it is worth something.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
A little kid is highly creative but very stupid.

A CEO may not be so creative but highly intelligent.

The CEO makes a kazillion dollars. The little kid gets allowance.

Case closed.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
From what I can tell, most of the people that voted for option 'B' just have to figure out a way to have "High Creativity."

Zing!