User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • High intelligence - Low creativity

47 35.88%
  • Low intelligence - High creativity

84 64.12%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    I think creativeness is very important for society to move forward...
    But if we're assuming that the two are mutually exclusive, then you need to have intelligence in order to bring those ideas into fruition.

I would much rather be highly intelligent. You don't need to come up with the ideas to move society forward. You can just move another person's idea forward.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp

High creativity and low intelligence. lol Why? I'm at least partially already there. Otherwise? I spend a lot of time in my mind already. Why not be able to set that loose on the unsuspecting of the world? hehe
    I have no idea who I am. All I can say is let's rock hard.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I consider high creativity to be high intelligence. But that's just my own definition of intelligence. For me, intelligence isn't about being logical, it's about coming up with ideas. In the case of creativity, I define it as the ability to envision and act on inspirations. I prefer the freedom that imagination brings as opposed to the constraints of logic.

I voted for Low Intelligence - High Creativity because I am more swayed by a creative idea than logical possibility (logic also has a way of changing). I believe that the most random, frivolous, and pointless inspirations at any given time could end up being useful in the future in one form or another.

Personally, it feels more rewarding to come up with a random idea than it does to uncover a truth through analysis.
    totally agree with this...i can't imagine a highly creative person with low intelligence...i'm not sure i've ever known one.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Intelligence or Creativity: Pick One.
    Can you really have one without the other?
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    totally agree with this...i can't imagine a highly creative person with low intelligence...i'm not sure i've ever known one.
    Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    Can you really have one without the other?
    I know some musicians and an artist who are very creative, but really not that intelligent, simple yet creative SP types. Also I know some very intelligent people who I'm sure are not very creative. ENTJ best friend in high school was like this.

I really don't think the phenomenon is that rare.

heart on fire

It's not what you got but how you use it so I'll always pick creativity over intelligence. My computer is smarter than I am, but he never gets anywhere.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If you could either have high intelligence paired with low creativity or low intelligence with high creativity, which would you pick? And why?

I couldn't decide right away, but I would choose creativity. With just intelligence you can accomplish a lot, but I believe it's easier to accomplish greatness with creativity because things innovation, uniqueness, and originality are often key to the ideas that make the biggest difference and stand out.

Also, I think high intelligence is more common than high creativity, I don't have any stats to back this up, and I'm not even sure if you can test for creativity... perhaps you could test someone's divergent thinking.
    Intelligence and creativity are intimately intertwined because they both rely on abstract cognitive abilities which are foundational to the classical definition of intelligence. Ultimately, intelligence is the ability to solve complex problems quickly and accurately. This requires imagination or abstract perception in order to imagine complex ideas which have little grounding in what can be observed with our 5 senses. Imagine for example a complex mathematical or a philosophical problem? Surely that requires much imagination just to imagine the conditions of such a problem, even more so to solve the problem with sufficient rigor.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Intelligence and creativity are intimately intertwined because they both rely on abstract cognitive abilities which are foundational to the classical definition of intelligence. Ultimately, intelligence is the ability to solve complex problems quickly and accurately. This requires imagination or abstract perception in order to imagine complex ideas which have little grounding in what can be observed with our 5 senses. Imagine for example a complex mathematical or a philosophical problem? Surely that requires much imagination just to imagine the conditions of such a problem, even more so to solve the problem with sufficient rigor.
    Creativity is about generating new ideas/methods/ways/associations. Solving a complex math problem, for example, requires abstraction, but it doesn't necessarily require the solver to come up with new ideas, just to learn existing systems and frameworks.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Creativity is about generating new ideas/methods/ways/associations. Solving a complex math problem, for example, requires abstraction, but it doesn't necessarily require the solver to come up with new ideas, just to learn existing systems and frameworks.
    But is that how we're measuring "intelligence"? By someone's ability to learn things and then apply them? Would you not say that the person who was able to invent those things (come up with new ideas/methods/ways/associations) is more intelligent than a person who is unable to do that, but who has the capacity to learn and use those ideas/methods/ways/etc...?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    But is that how we're measuring "intelligence"? By someone's ability to learn things and then apply them? Would you not say that the person who was able to invent those things (come up with new ideas/methods/ways/associations) is more intelligent than a person who is unable to do that, but who has the capacity to learn and use those ideas/methods/ways/etc...?
    If a person comes up with a new idea within a math or science field for example, that will most likely require high intelligence because they would need the capacity to learn math and science in the first place, but the person who comes up with art or music or who gets a great idea and invents some new ergonomic consumer product, I don't see how that necessarily requires high intelligence.