User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • High intelligence - Low creativity

47 35.88%
  • Low intelligence - High creativity

84 64.12%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If you could either have high intelligence paired with low creativity or low intelligence with high creativity, which would you pick? And why?

I couldn't decide right away, but I would choose creativity. With just intelligence you can accomplish a lot, but I believe it's easier to accomplish greatness with creativity because things innovation, uniqueness, and originality are often key to the ideas that make the biggest difference and stand out.

Also, I think high intelligence is more common than high creativity, I don't have any stats to back this up, and I'm not even sure if you can test for creativity... perhaps you could test someone's divergent thinking.
    I don't see how you can be intelligent and not creative. Creativity is subjective to others I guess...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I really don't beleive that it's possible to be creative without being intelligent- I've always seen creativity as intelligence with flexibility.

I think I'd go with creativity if forced though, since you can always get by if you're creative, but you may get stuck somewhere in life if you're merely intelligent.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    I don't see how you can be intelligent and not creative. Creativity is subjective to others I guess...
    I know some people who are incredibly book smart, and excel at school and love exercising their brain... but they don't have a creative bone in their body. Also, they don't have great senses of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I really don't beleive that it's possible to be creative without being intelligent- I've always seen creativity as intelligence with flexibility.

I think I'd go with creativity if forced though, since you can always get by if you're creative, but you may get stuck somewhere in life if you're merely intelligent.
    I read something somewhere that creativity stops increasing with intelligence at an IQ of 110. It said something to that effect, not sure on the exact words.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I know some people who are incredibly book smart, and excel at school and love exercising their brain... but they don't have a creative bone in their body. Also, they don't have great senses of humor.

I read something somewhere that creativity stops increasing with intelligence at an IQ of 110. It said something to that effect, not sure on the exact words.
    I am living proof that, that is a load of crap

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I am living proof that, that is a load of crap
    How so?

ThatGirl

well, my IQ exceeds 110 a lot, and I am very creative, more so than most people I know.

Except for house furnishings

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think what ajblaise means is that there is no significant correlation between IQ and creativity past 110. All this means is that having a higher than 110 IQ does not determine creativity. You may have a higher IQ and be very creative, but it isn't the result of your high IQ.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

well, my IQ exceeds 110 a lot, and I am very creative, more so than most people I know.

Except for house furnishings
    Yeah, it's not saying that people with higher-than-110-IQ's aren't creative or are less creative, but that people with 110 IQ's and up all have a similar chance of being creatively talented.

ThatGirl

Hm, I thought that creativity would be increased by your ability to recognize possibility which is increased by your ability to take in and process information. At least it is for me. The more I understand the more creative I become, or push things to the limits of creative capability. Maybe it is a confidence thing.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Hm, I thought that creativity would be increased by your ability to recognize possibility which is increased by your ability to take in and process information. At least it is for me. The more I understand the more creative I become, or push things to the limits of creative capability. Maybe it is a confidence thing.
    Yes, but I don't think that either of the things that you mention are really represented by IQ tests.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness