Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default Living Without Definition

In my experience, people are contradictory by nature. In reading works by people such as A. O. Spare, I've discovered that it might not necessarily be the best thing to try to label our behaviors and group ourselves extensively. Because as soon as I say that I have X attribute, I also notice how at the same time I can deviate to the other extreme just as easily. So to accept one and reject the other part of my personality requires repression of some sort. It's interesting to think about how we humans believe that we have to stick to one part of our personalities and remain consistent to live in society, when some of us aren't really designed for that. I've been in situations where people thought that I was one way, but I'm quite capable of showing a completely different side of my personality when I'm in another group of people. And if I show the side I show to the second group to the first, they either say, "Who are you?" or "Oh, I didn't know you were like *that*," as if I couldn't be both at once. Always exclusion of duality and opposites.

It correlates well with my emotional states, I believe, which have always been prone to vacillation.

When a person accepts that they can be X as well as Y without needing to exclude either, or by accepting that discriminations like X and Y are just illusions we all make to have reality be an easier place to live in, we find that our horizons widen that much more. And yet people become so attached to the notions that they have of themselves because they feel that they are unable to live without them. And it is those very attachments that deprive them of the happiness they desire. (Or depression. Sometimes feeling sad feels good, eh?)

Anyway: Discuss.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Nice stuff you brought to the table here, Eldanen.

Concerning predictive behavioral connections, one of our root motivations is very likely owed to the sophistication of our brain. Pattern seeking allows for increased predictability - in many more ways than can be immediately mentioned here (farming cycles; migration points; sensory elements; etc...).

The successful implementation of response systems designed from the shoulders of these observations was certainly expressed in things like positive tribal growth; the gathering and protection of land/material wealth; and - eventually - the outsourcing of these observations into other lands.

Cooperation is one of our greatest instinctual support systems. Pattern recognition is a crucial element within this scheme.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I think you missed the main idea slightly, but what you said is true. If you've ever read the book Prometheus Rising by RA Wilson, you'll find that one crucial element that relates to what you're talking about is called the 4th circuit of the mind. The "social" circuit as it is. It basically implements the norms and guidelines and patterns that a person should follow in order to fit into the whole of society to permit the species to survive. It is in contrast to the 3rd circuit, the circuit of exponential expansion, especially in terms of knowledge. Consider Science vs. Religion as a useful dichotomy to see the two interacting.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    I think you missed the main idea slightly, but what you said is true. If you've ever read the book Prometheus Rising by RA Wilson, you'll find that one crucial element that relates to what you're talking about is called the 4th circuit of the mind. The "social" circuit as it is. It basically implements the norms and guidelines and patterns that a person should follow in order to fit into the whole of society to permit the species to survive. It is in contrast to the 3rd circuit, the circuit of exponential expansion, especially in terms of knowledge. Consider Science vs. Religion as a useful dichotomy to see the two interacting.
    I pride myself on this consistency.

I have read Prometheus. Interesting read. The 4th circuit as a socio-cultural cipher, intended to bolster successful continuation of key ethical maxims. Not only to ensure the individual fits neatly, but that the approximate goals of the culture are not lost/deformed between generations.

The inherent difference seems a finite v. (potentially) infinite set of characters functioning inside the respective circuits. The 4th as determined by "static" mores, whereas the 3rd as a reservoir with seemingly limitless space.

If this is to be believed, what other variables might you assert into the 4th circuit (after religion)?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Religion seems to be the author and the finisher of 4th circuit propaganda :P. But also in place is government, in whatever shape it takes form. Apart from the 3rd, I really, really enjoy the metaprogramming circuit . The media could also be a great propounder of 4th circuit ideals. Yes, some might consider the media liberal, but they're all about pounding ethics on others.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Ah - contemporary politics aside, the 4th Estate has always been instrumental in espousing cultural value systems.

The press has always reinforced the status quo. They depend on it for nourishment; longetivity and as source material for all the hot air they pump out...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Moved from Bonfire. (Nice thread. I'll post my thoughts later.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Thanks, Edahn -

Looking forward to it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

This is an interesting point I came across in reading some stuff by OSHO a while ago. It's one of the reasons I refused to type myself for a long time. Your type can act like a straight jacket, preventing you from expressing some parts that aren't aligned with the expectations of that type.

I think you're right that people contradict themselves naturally on behavioral, cognitive, and affective levels. The interesting thing is the release you get when you allow those contradictions to coexist. I would suspect that it's a result of letting go of having to be anyone and be satisfied with who you are.

Meh. I don't really have anything interesting to add. I'm just babbling.

Just adding another question to the mix...

Is it better to control and modify our behavior, contradicory as it is and will remain, or to simply let the contradictions keep screwing with us with no attempts at self-modification?

For example:
    Let's say I don't feel like doing anything other than sleeping and eating, and occasionally doing things prompted by belief of what it takes for survival. Meanwhile, the survival activities are interrupted by avoidance mechanisms and procrastination.

Should I follow these instincts?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield