First 23456 Last

Thread: God

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    yea exactly..

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husband" (Colossians 3:18-19; see 1 Peter 3:1; Ephesians 5:22).

"And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do. If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed" (Exodus 21:7-8).

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her" (Deuteronomy 25:11-12).

"And whosoever lieth carnally with a woman, that is a bondmaid, betrothed to a husband, and not at all redeemed, nor freedom given her; she shall be scourged: they shall not be put to death, because she was not free. And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the Lord, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, even a ram for a trespass offering" (Leviticus 19:20-21).

The thing about the bible is that you can use it to your own ends. It's a problem when people insist on taking it literally and as totally consistent and divinely inspired. There are also plenty of examples of Jesus treating women with radical consideration, and there is a passage in Galatians that was probably an early baptismal vow that "in Christ, there is no male nor female."

I've spent a decent amount of time considering gender in Early Christianity. I'm not claiming "expertise" here or anything, but I can say very surely that you are simplifying things (as fundamentalists do) by merely quoting passages from the Bible.

Now I must do my real job.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    The thing about the bible is that you can use it to your own ends. It's a problem when people insist on taking it literally and as totally consistent and divinely inspired. There are also plenty of examples of Jesus treating women with radical consideration, and there is a passage in Galatians that was probably an early baptismal vow that "in Christ, there is no male nor female."

I've spent a decent amount of time considering gender in Early Christianity. I'm not claiming "expertise" here or anything, but I can say very surely that you are simplifying things (as fundamentalists do) by merely quoting passages from the Bible.

Now I must do my real job.
    No matter which way you cut it, in context out of context, the OT says some nasty, horrible, harsh, brutal... things. What I've seen several Christians do, addressing the OT, is distance themselves from it. I can't fault them for that.

I have no problem with Christians taking the Bible "literally and as totally consistent and divinely inspired" because strict adherence is what this certain religion requires and asks for.

It's true that you can use the Bible to justify basically any ideology.. a lot of that speaks to the contradictions and vagueness of the Bible. I wouldn't fault anyone other than the Bible writers for that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by burkeus View Post
    Yeah, leave it to Cristians to project a MALE gender onto their God.
    That's not your god, it's a man, baby!

[Youtube="WgOIEGz7o_s"]That's a man, baby![/youtube]

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by burkeus View Post
    I don't know what your definition of "feminist" is but I don't think I'm talking about feminism. To me, males are strong, action oriented and in most definitions of the word, powerful. Females by contrast hold the secrets of the subtle realm, and are more likely to be in touch with mystery and love. Both are necessary to the idea or concept of who and what God is. Therefore, I believe God is a combination of those male and female energies which is why I feel more comfortable with religions honouring both God and Goddess.
    No, I was joking about the thread potentially becoming a feminist thread. It wasn't directed at what you said. (not in a serious way)
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ENFP

God is. Male or Female it doesn't matter.
    I rock it for Jesus

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Last edited by Salomé; 10-08-2008 at 06:32 AM. Reason: i changed my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP

I LOVE JESUSSSS!

organized religion is made up

i dont believe in someone living their life now in prepare for their after life
    i mean cmon thats the dumbest shit ive ever heard.
    you were born into this world which youre not even happy in because youre just following all these rules and regulations and for what? for something else to happen after? what a waste of fucking time..itd be funny if there was nothing after death. i bet theyd have a lot of regrets for not living their life how they wanted and to their fullest.

i have my own beliefs. agnostic, i suppose. why? because some things science cant explain. neither can reason.

but like i said before, open up an anthropology book if you want to understand humans and their relation to religion.
    She talks pretty but says mean things

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    What does God mean to you?
    A symbol of repression.

Is it something conscious?
    Yes, I consciously think of "God" as a coping mechanism people use so that they don't have to face the "ugly" truth. (which isn't actually so ugly, it's so pretty how everything works together...)

Do you believe in the literal existence of something you identify as God? Why or why not?
    Depends on definition. If you want to define God as the laws of physics, then yes. If you want to define God as the God of the Old testament, no -- but then that question is like asking "do you believe in Harry Potter"? Weird question.

Does this God exist in the same space and time as us?
    If God exists in different space and time, then the question of his existence is completely irrelevant. He may exist, but he wouldn't affect any part of our reality, so he'd be functionally useless.

What do you believe God's meaning is in relation to humanity was a whole? Why is God important or not important at all?
    Again, it's a repression mechanism. The concept is important because it shows how desperate we are as humans to "find" these satisfying answers -- we will believe in ludicrous things just because we want to. It shows the limit of human thought, which is a good psychological idea to study.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzy View Post
    I LOVE JESUSSSS!

organized religion is made up

i dont believe in someone living their life now in prepare for their after life
    i mean cmon thats the dumbest shit ive ever heard.
    you were born into this world which youre not even happy in because youre just following all these rules and regulations and for what? for something else to happen after? what a waste of fucking time..itd be funny if there was nothing after death. i bet theyd have a lot of regrets for not living their life how they wanted and to their fullest.

i have my own beliefs. agnostic, i suppose. why? because some things science cant explain. neither can reason.

but like i said before, open up an anthropology book if you want to understand humans and their relation to religion.
    I thought you left...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Last edited by Salomé; 10-08-2008 at 06:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.