User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: God

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Ah, there was a time in my life when I could have (and would have) responded at length to this topic. I kind of miss those days.

I think that it is likely that there is no literal god, but I think that it is *true* that there is value to observing and appreciating something figurative. This is a complicated point of view and one that I currently have trouble articulating.

That said--I go to church, and I serve at Eucharist, and I say the prayers of the people, and I work with young people in their "walks with God" because while I often doubt the literal, I have great faith in the figurative that flows through us in love, compassion, mercy, and grace. I connect very, very strongly to the notion of the "Body of Christ"--a collective conscious, if you will, that (at its best) can be a salve in the world.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

I would like to know why God is depicted as male.

MBTI
    ISTJ

...feminist thread in 4...3...2..
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by burkeus View Post
    I would like to know why God is depicted as male.
    1. Because we are used to engendering things.
    2. Because Western society has a fairly patriarchal background (even in Xianity, eastern traditions are more likely to envision a feminine spirit than western)
    3. Because, at least in the story of Xianity, a god that could be conceived as without gender (though it wasn't) was incarnate and by necessity engendered.

As for me, I don't think of God as male, and Jesus's maleness is irrelevant. And in fairness, for all the gender nonsense that exists, Christianity at least (it's what I know, it's my context, and it's what I'm talking about at the moment) does have clear attempts to destabilize gender norms.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    3. Because, at least in the story of Xianity, a god that could be conceived as without gender (though it wasn't) was incarnate and by necessity engendered.
    God being incarnate doesn't necessitate gender.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by burkeus View Post
    God being incarnate doesn't necessitate gender.
    I suppose that you could have had a neuter or hermaphroditic Jesus, but if the notion is that God became an ordinary person in Jesus (was enfleshed), I think it makes sense that Jesus had to be "sexed" if not engendered.

Whether Jesus had a "gender identity" may be another question entirely. But it makes sense that Christians project a gender onto their incarnate god.
    INFJ

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    ...feminist thread in 4...3...2..
    I don't know what your definition of "feminist" is but I don't think I'm talking about feminism. To me, males are strong, action oriented and in most definitions of the word, powerful. Females by contrast hold the secrets of the subtle realm, and are more likely to be in touch with mystery and love. Both are necessary to the idea or concept of who and what God is. Therefore, I believe God is a combination of those male and female energies which is why I feel more comfortable with religions honouring both God and Goddess.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Whether Jesus had a "gender identity" may be another question entirely. But it makes sense that Christians project a gender onto their incarnate god.
    Yeah, leave it to Cristians to project a MALE gender onto their God.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

And in fairness, for all the gender nonsense that exists, Christianity at least (it's what I know, it's my context, and it's what I'm talking about at the moment) does have clear attempts to destabilize gender norms.
    yea exactly..

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husband" (Colossians 3:18-19; see 1 Peter 3:1; Ephesians 5:22).

"And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do. If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed" (Exodus 21:7-8).

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her" (Deuteronomy 25:11-12).

"And whosoever lieth carnally with a woman, that is a bondmaid, betrothed to a husband, and not at all redeemed, nor freedom given her; she shall be scourged: they shall not be put to death, because she was not free. And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the Lord, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, even a ram for a trespass offering" (Leviticus 19:20-21).

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

I don't know who you are quoting the bible the way you do, but you're not me.