• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religious and Sexual Fantasies

Warrior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
how do you feel about russia and china, 2 permanent members of the security council in the un whose single veto could end any operations, constantly veto any resolution against burma, for fear they will be treated as hypocrites and because they are allies with burma despite its ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity? and us buying from china all so we can make a quick buck off of slave labor?

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My hypothesis is that these positions offer sexual predators opportunities to interact with their prey or otherwise give the predator certain ability to cover their tracks (power), so it is opportunism.
It's opportunism. I don't think certain people strategically identify and pursue these positions to that end. I think they find themselves there and latent characteristics are awakened by the opportunities. How many Gestapo men were former everyday cops whose brutal instincts were actualised when the institutional conditions changed *around them?* And the regular students who became "sadistic and controlling" when they were *given* power in the Stanford prison experiments?
There was this town in England, I forgot the name,
Rotherham.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm offended by your conflating of the offending behaviour of some predators with my religion and my faith community. I dont think if you came in here and said that all Jews were rapists that you'd get away with it.
Did anyone say all Catholics are child molesters? I haven't seen such a thing. If someone came on claiming that there was a serious problem with pedophilia, or sexual harassment, or some other crime/social ill in the Jewish community, I would expect it to be examined and debated on its merits (or lack thereof).

Fact is, child sexual abuse has been exposed as a significant problem in the Catholic Church in recent years, despite the fact that the majority of priests are good men who do not do such things. Similarly, Muslim communities have been associated with sexism, including practices like FGM, child marriage, and honor killings, and no one complains about that. Whole industries like entertainment and silicon valley have been implicated in widespread sexual assault/harassment, and no one considers that out of bounds.

The way to address such arguments is to look for the evidence, and to make sure the entire picture is presented to the many are not implicated by the crimes of the few, however significant they may be. Highlighting steps the church is taking to address the problem is worthwhile as well.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I spent a year living in an intentional community run by Jesuits and volunteering in a drop in centre for homeless/rough sleeping young people, its how I got a start on working in youth, community and social work. I've considered joining the order on and off for some time, read almost all there is available to read on or by Ignatious Loyola who established the order. Although, I think I do miss your point, so long as I made my own I'm not that worried about that, like I say, it seems very cliched, I dont mean to offend you its just how I see it.
No worries - I cannot be offended by someone's misunderstanding my point of view. In the US, at least, the Jesuits are associated with teaching, especially in university settings, and for some fine scholarship on theological and historical matters. That is my perspective of this order. I associate community outreach more with Franciscans or even Marianists.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did anyone say all Catholics are child molesters? I haven't seen such a thing.
Someone in Australia (see profile) said that Australian Catholics are.... sharing sexual fantasies with children. Not some Catholics, not 99% of Catholics, but that "Catholics in Australia are ...." doing so.

If someone came on claiming that there was a serious problem with pedophilia, or sexual harassment, or some other crime/social ill in the Jewish community, I would expect it to be examined and debated on its merits (or lack thereof).
Well then, if there's a serious problem in the Australian Catholic community, let's hear the evidence (preferably before or simultaneoulsy with the accusation).

Fact is, child sexual abuse has been exposed as a significant problem in the Catholic Church in recent years,
Oh, it's now the institution of the Australian Catholic church we're talking about?! So easy to get confused. At least you put them in separate paragraphs, unlike the OP.

The way to address such arguments is to look for the evidence, and to make sure the entire picture is presented to the many are not implicated by the crimes of the few, however significant they may be. Highlighting steps the church is taking to address the problem is worthwhile as well.
Against which of the two entities that are accused in the OP?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Someone in Australia (see profile) said that Australian Catholics are.... sharing sexual fantasies with children. Not some Catholics, not 99% of Catholics, but that "Catholics in Australia are ...." doing so.
Exactly so. Most people understand that when we say "Scientists have been studying some of the oldest stars in our galaxy ... " we don't mean every scientist on the planet, just those who are actually doing this activity.

Well then, if there's a serious problem in the Australian Catholic community, let's hear the evidence (preferably before or simultaneoulsy with the accusation).

Oh, it's now the institution of the Australian Catholic church we're talking about?! So easy to get confused. At least you put them in separate paragraphs, unlike the OP.

Against which of the two entities that are accused in the OP?
This kind of semantic nitpicking misses the point and does not contribute to the discussion. If you would like to consider evidence, present some, or comment on what others have presented in a substantive way.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly so. Most people understand that when we say "Scientists have been studying some of the oldest stars in our galaxy ... " we don't mean every scientist on the planet, just those who are actually doing this activity.

Most people don't care which scientists are studying stars and which are not. When a group of citizens (who are not part of an abuse-facilitating institution) is generically associated with paedophilia some people will take offence. I believe the OP was purposely ambiguous for that reason and you failed to take that ambiguity seriously even when it was alluded to.

This kind of semantic nitpicking misses the point and does not contribute to the discussion. If you would like to consider evidence, present some, or comment on what others have presented in a substantive way.

The Catholic/Jewish/Islamic/Buddhist communities are separate entities from their respective institutions and paedophilia is a serious accusation. If you have evidence against the Catholic community in Australia (Australian Catholics) present it. In other words, do not take a moral high ground and shelter behind pompous cliches about the procedures for discussion.

OTOH if you were merely sloppy in conflating them, not a major problem and I'll stand corrected.

PS - I don't think it misses the point. Regards the OP I think it hits it squarely on the head.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most people don't care which scientists are studying stars and which are not. When a group of citizens (who are not part of an abuse-facilitating institution) is generically associated with paedophilia some people will take offence. I believe the OP was purposely ambiguous for that reason and you failed to take that ambiguity seriously even when it was alluded to.
I am not interested in your beliefs, nor am I about to make assumptions about the OP's intentions. The OP referenced government findings on abuse. Either refute that, or provide your own evidence to the contrary.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am not interested in your beliefs, nor am I about to make assumptions about the OP's intentions. The OP referenced government findings on abuse. Either refute that, or provide your own evidence to the contrary.

I haven't stated any, other than about the OP's intentions. There is no need for evidence about abuse in the institution of the Church. It's well known. If the Australian Catholic community is guilty then I'm waiting for evidence. Most educated people can appreciate the difference between these two groups.

Mole

Permabanned
I haven't stated any, other than about the OP's intentions. There is no need for evidence about abuse in the institution of the Church. It's well known. If the Australian Catholic community is guilty then I'm waiting for evidence. Most educated people can appreciate the difference between these two groups.
Like the Pharisee Catholics walked by on the other side of the road, and closed their eyes to child rape. And who can blame them?

Lark

Like the Pharisee Catholics walked by on the other side of the road, and closed their eyes to child rape. And who can blame them?

But they didnt Mole, a lot of Catholics were involved in the exposure of the crimes among the clergy, havent you ever seen Spotlight about the breaking of the story by newspaper men in the US?

Like I've said before much of the malpractice in handling the problem of sex offenders by the clergy mirrored the same actions by the secular establishment or authorities in handling celebrity offenders, such as Jimmy Saville in the UK, and right up to and including what is happening now with the breaking news in the US about celebrities offending in Hollywood.

I'm not sure of why there is the repeated and close focus exclusively upon the Roman Catholic community and church, I suspect it is driven by bigotry and not any real concern about exposing the crime of child abuse and prevent its occurrence again in future. Which I think is a shame that you're choosing to act this way, or that the forum thinks its something worth enabling too, but at least its not mirrored by the actions of the Roman Catholic Church and community in dealing with this difficult and apparently widespread societal issue.

Mole

Permabanned
But they didnt Mole, a lot of Catholics were involved in the exposure of the crimes among the clergy, havent you ever seen Spotlight about the breaking of the story by newspaper men in the US?

Like I've said before much of the malpractice in handling the problem of sex offenders by the clergy mirrored the same actions by the secular establishment or authorities in handling celebrity offenders, such as Jimmy Saville in the UK, and right up to and including what is happening now with the breaking news in the US about celebrities offending in Hollywood.

I'm not sure of why there is the repeated and close focus exclusively upon the Roman Catholic community and church, I suspect it is driven by bigotry and not any real concern about exposing the crime of child abuse and prevent its occurrence again in future. Which I think is a shame that you're choosing to act this way, or that the forum thinks its something worth enabling too, but at least its not mirrored by the actions of the Roman Catholic Church and community in dealing with this difficult and apparently widespread societal issue.

The my knowledge for more than 70 years we tried to stop the Catholic Church from raping thousands of children, we were blocked at every turn by Catholics in the Church, in the Police, in Parliament, in at the media, even the holy nuns blocked us, until we elected an atheist, a woman, The Hon. Julia Gillard, as our Prime Minister, and she instituted the National Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse. They report will come out soon. Make sure you read it.

It is interesting that Catholics still deny the rape of thousands of children and still defend the reputation and the property values of the Church. Yes, it is still legally impossible for raped children to sue the Church for damages.