• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Spiritual Crisis in America

Some of you may have a kneejerk reaction to the url address. This isn't for you.

We Don't Have Just A 'Mental Health Crisis' In America. We Have A Spiritual Crisis. - Red Pill Times

It’s not just the attacks themselves that I find so disturbing. The way people react to them is almost as bad. We seem to treat this stuff like it’s not even real, like the people who died weren’t actual people. We carry on as though we’re living in a video game or something. As soon as the bodies hit the ground, we run to our battle stations and start fighting amidst corpses like vultures. There’s something so routine and lifeless and inhuman in the whole spectacle. Is anyone even really angry about these killings anymore? Or sad? Or anything? It seems like it’s just an excuse to bicker; flinging our dull talking points at one another before we get bored and have to wait again, longingly, for the next bloody slaughter to come along and give us something to gossip about for a day or two.

I see this a lot on TypoC. Especially in the section which shall not be named. *cough*Politics*cough*

There is a very troubling combination coming together. We dehumanize each other while medicalizing and politicizing evil. The result is indifference and detachment all the way around. Exactly the atmosphere where Satan thrives. It is the atmosphere of Hell itself, leaking like noxious fumes into our world. And there is only one antidote that really works. His name is Christ.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm curious, how do you see your religion, and Christ informing your response to things like reactions to mass slaughter? Is prayer and witnessing enough? Or do you feel like Christianity asks more, and if so, what?

I'm curious, how do you see your religion, and Christ informing your response to things like reactions to mass slaughter? Is prayer and witnessing enough? Or do you feel like Christianity asks more, and if so, what?

For me, being a newer Christian, it’s not surprising that these things happen to this fallen world. I can pray. I don’t witness, personally.

The only thing asked of Christians is to maintain the faith of His resurrection, show our brothers and sisters the love of Christ, and be charitable when/where we can.

Have a great day.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, being a newer Christian, it’s not surprising that these things happen to this fallen world. I can pray. I don’t witness, personally.

The only thing asked of Christians is to maintain the faith of His resurrection.

Have a great day.

Hah, so curt. Anyway, I just saw this particular thread as a learning opportunity. Thanks.

Lark

Hah, so curt. Anyway, I just saw this particular thread as a learning opportunity. Thanks.

Just so you know I think everything that's been posted as "Christian" by this user is heresy, I'm happy to talk about it in PM if you'd like but I'm not conversing with them, I dont believe there is any point. Anyone who is into that whole red pill scene, there's no point at all.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I might have been on board or taken an interest until I saw the business about Christ being the "one antidote"

I'll give it a read later. For now, can you tell me, is the author saying Christianity is the only viable spirituality system?

Personally, I might see some relevance in Buddhism and Taoism (mind you, I'm not saying these are superior or better than Christianity, Kabbalah, or whatever other people choose as their spirituality aids)

á´…eparted

passages
I don't see a spiritual crisis; that isn't a collective thing. People can - and should - have their own personal spiritual convictions. The reason religion is a problem is because people are seemingly incapable or unwilling to tell when they need to keep it to themselves. It is also utterly hysterical to me when I hear cristians cry that they are oppressed in the US.

Also, red pill times? Really?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course, being so relentlessly stupid and clueless, we still don’t understand what’s going on around us. We chalk it all up to a “mental health crisis,” as if there’s some mysterious mental illness spreading like syphilis throughout the land. Or we conclude that we just haven’t settled on the right combination of laws and regulations. We seem to ignore the fact that a great many of these mass killers had been on psychotropic medicines, and they either acquired their weapons illegally or they acquired them because the existing laws weren’t properly enforced (as was the case in Texas). We are already the most medicated and regulated civilization in human history, yet these things have only increased in frequency.

Laws won’t heal the human spirit. Neither will prescription pills. We can’t treat moral corruption like we treat headaches. It’s not always a “chemical imbalancement” that propels a guy to murder women and children. Often, that desire is rooted much deeper, all the way down in the depths of his depraved and rotten soul.

This is true. The supposed cure is the problem in the first place, because the problem is lack of humanity. Lack of recognition of our own humanity as much as other people's. Making mental health services more authoritarian and increasing gun regulation in order to stop mass shootings only works, both directly and indirectly, to increase the mass shootings that need to be stopped. If you don't believe in Christ or God or whatever, it's fine, but you need to believe in soul and life and and other life-affirming concepts. The nihilistic and solipsistic philosophy most people swear by is not just suicidal for the individual but genocidal for all of humanity, and yet everyone wonders why they're so miserable. You're miserable because you have no connection to life, and because you have no connection to life, you have no connection to truth or objectivity or anything else, so of course if life is meaningless, death becomes meaningless as well, and in that case apathy about human suffering is inevitable.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION] Huh, I'm actually a pretty happy nihilist, but I also believe in a life and love and protecting that which I find valuable AND I disagree on those particular policies you mentioned, and I'd love for life, greater and lesser, to continue in a healthy happy way. Life and living is pretty complex, there is no one truth, no one red-pill. From what I know, this is the most objective viewpoint possible, and scary, yes.

It's very easy to vilify people who you disagree with.

This is true. The supposed cure is the problem in the first place, because the problem is lack of humanity. Lack of recognition of our own humanity as much as other people's. Making mental health services more authoritarian and increasing gun regulation in order to stop mass shootings only works, both directly and indirectly, to increase the mass shootings that need to be stopped. If you don't believe in Christ or God or whatever, it's fine, but you need to believe in soul and life and and other life-affirming concepts. The nihilistic and solipsistic philosophy most people swear by is not just suicidal for the individual but genocidal for all of humanity, and yet everyone wonders why they're so miserable. You're miserable because you have no connection to life, and because you have no connection to life, you have no connection to truth or objectivity or anything else, so of course if life is meaningless, death becomes meaningless as well, and in that case apathy about human suffering is inevitable.

^she gets it.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Agreed with this for the most part, especially the bolded. Although maybe people might play a word game with nihilism as a distinction between beneficial and non-beneficial versions, as an example of beneficial nihilism being one realising that if nothing appears to objectively matter then one can work harder on creating actions towards a world that matters, as a dart in the heart of a settled perspective. This would not be my view exactly, though, but I anticipate the idea.

There is, I think, a requirement in humans to look beyond to whatever it is that can be considered 'other' about reality. Everything that eludes or escapes our need to define the answer to purpose and existence.

This remains (I would argue necessarily) always somewhat out of grasp, as grasp can only look at the world narrowly in terms of "what use is this?" in the most base sense. And it requires a certain kind of narrowly defined attention in order to function, which always excludes a broader consideration to whatever else might arise that is unsought in attention. There might, however, be a disagreement over what that 'other' actually is or should be.
One of the biggest issues is with ideas of selfishness. I used to subscribe to a view of mutual selfishness, in which two or more parties involved can both gain benefit from engaging with certain actions for themselves while still helping another, but I now realise this is marred by the myriad of exceptions to such thinking that exist. Though a release of endorphins is certainly an explainable consequence of, say, pushing someone out of the way of some sudden danger and thus saving their life while now feeling good about yourself for saving someone's life, it is difficult to simply apply such a consequence as if it were the defining motivation or drive of the person saving the life.

If we were so cynically inclined at all times (sans the influence of narrow systems of human behaviour that reward selfishness in the environment of their influence e.g: the competitive nature of business for example) then we would also pay material returns that reflect this in all areas and the fireman might well be paid as much as the CEO, if not more as the consequences of feeling good would not be enough to satisfy the conscious material selfishness this line of thinking implies. This would also imply more conscious control over our drives than can be causally allowed for and would require a solution to the nature/nurture debate.

This is not even an exception proving the rule, unless the rule were that conditions always strongly shape drives.

The wide range of phenomena associated with human existence continues to remain phenomenal.

To perhaps put this paradox in a better, more pithy way than I can ever manage:

"We must believe in free will, we have no choice." Isaac Bashevis Singer

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm with the Dalai Lama in supporting a secular moralism that unites people instead of creating institutional divides. I had to leave organized religion because there was so much fighting and hating in the churches. The secular people have been kinder. Although, I'm just as supportive of Mormons as I am Satanists if people need to feel connected to a community of believers. There are good and bad people in every group, even a lot of Satanists are vegetarians and won't cause harm unless in self-defense. I'm not that concerned with peoples ideologies as long as their behavior acts out in kindness instead of harm.

Lark

I'm with the Dalai Lama in supporting a secular moralism that unites people instead of creating institutional divides. I had to leave organized religion because there was so much fighting and hating in the churches. The secular people have been kinder. Although, I'm just as supportive of Mormons as I am Satanists if people need to feel connected to a community of believers. There are good and bad people in every group, even a lot of Satanists are vegetarians and won't cause harm unless in self-defense. I'm not that concerned with peoples ideologies as long as their behavior acts out in kindness instead of harm.

What do you think about applying the AD&D typology to religions?

Have you seen the movie Silence and what do you think about it?

Psalm 10

1 Why, Lord, do you stand far off?
Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?
2 In his arrogance the wicked man hunts down the weak,
who are caught in the schemes he devises.
3 He boasts about the cravings of his heart;
he blesses the greedy and reviles the Lord.
4 In his pride the wicked man does not seek him;
in all his thoughts there is no room for God.
5 His ways are always prosperous;
your laws are rejected by him;
he sneers at all his enemies.
6 He says to himself, “Nothing will ever shake me.”
He swears, “No one will ever do me harm.”
7 His mouth is full of lies and threats;
trouble and evil are under his tongue.
8 He lies in wait near the villages;
from ambush he murders the innocent.
His eyes watch in secret for his victims;
9 like a lion in cover he lies in wait.
He lies in wait to catch the helpless;
he catches the helpless and drags them off in his net.
10 His victims are crushed, they collapse;
they fall under his strength.
11 He says to himself, “God will never notice;
he covers his face and never sees.”
12 Arise, Lord! Lift up your hand, O God.
Do not forget the helpless.
13 Why does the wicked man revile God?
Why does he say to himself,
“He won’t call me to account”?
14 But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted;
you consider their grief and take it in hand.
The victims commit themselves to you;
you are the helper of the fatherless.
15 Break the arm of the wicked man;
call the evildoer to account for his wickedness
that would not otherwise be found out.
16 The Lord is King for ever and ever;
the nations will perish from his land.
17 You, Lord, hear the desire of the afflicted;
you encourage them, and you listen to their cry,
18 defending the fatherless and the oppressed,
so that mere earthly mortals
will never again strike terror.

Galatians 5

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Some of you may have a kneejerk reaction to the url address. This isn't for you.

We Don't Have Just A 'Mental Health Crisis' In America. We Have A Spiritual Crisis. - Red Pill Times

I see this a lot on TypoC. Especially in the section which shall not be named. *cough*Politics*cough*

This is not the first time I have heard someone say that America simply needs spirituality or some manifestation of religion and that will right all the wrongs. Of course, spiritual salvation could never come from Buddhism or Judaism of god forbid Islam or any of the many selections of spirituality available in a nation with freedom of and freedom from religion. It's always Christ. Whether you like it or not.

I'm not commenting on the ridiculous link.

This is not the first time I have heard someone say that America simply needs spirituality or some manifestation of religion and that will right all the wrongs. Of course, spiritual salvation could never come from Buddhism or Judaism of god forbid Islam or any of the many selections of spirituality available in a nation with freedom of and freedom from religion. It's always Christ. Whether you like it or not.

I'm not commenting on the ridiculous link.

Christ is the only one that offers that salvation.

Did you read it or dismiss it? FWIW, I think that’s an unfortunate url, too. Instant turn-off for opponents while being an identity marker for adherents. Surprising because those red pill guys refer to us as “Christcucks.”

- G. K. Chesterton -
But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not
entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be
really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really
gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation
implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist
doubts not only the institution he denounces, but the doctrine by which
he denounces it. . . . As a politician, he will cry out that war is a
waste of life, and then, as a philosopher, that all life is waste of
time. A Russian pessimist will denounce a policeman for killing a
peasant, and then prove by the highest philosophical principles that the
peasant ought to have killed himself. . . . The man of this school goes
first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are
treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and
goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically
are beasts. In short, the modern revolutionist, being an infinite
skeptic, is always engaged in undermining his own mines. In his book on
politics he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics
he attacks morality for trampling on men. Therefore the modern man in
revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By
rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against
anything.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Christ is the only one that offers that salvation.

Did you read it or dismiss it? FWIW, I think that’s an unfortunate url, too. Instant turn-off for opponents while being an identity marker for adherents. Surprising because those red pill guys refer to us as “Christcucks.”

- G. K. Chesterton -

I did read it, I read all the Red Pill literature posted here because it is ridiculous.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Galatians 5

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I'm sorry, this is off topic, but it always amuses me how Stefan has the crazy eyes.