• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nice isn't kind

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't trying to be funny, just sharing my observation lol

I'll take fake nice over real ugliness any day :D
There is a third option: keep your mouth shut and be neither fake nor ugly.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I think you could figure that out on your own.
That would require me to make assumptions that might have little basis in fact, something I prefer not to do. Better to ask, and be certain. Of course, many people are reluctant to admit their real purpose. That often means it is questionable.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That would require me to make assumptions that might have little basis in fact, something I prefer not to do. Better to ask, and be certain. Of course, many people are reluctant to admit their real purpose. That often means it is questionable.

Well let's say if you kept your mouth shut, you would be a lot less ugly towards me.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well let's say if you kept your mouth shut, you would be a lot less ugly towards me.
Could you explain what you consider ugly in what I have posted? I would prefer to understand what bothers you, so I can avoid inadvertently giving offense when possible.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is a third option: keep your mouth shut and be neither fake nor ugly.

Could you explain what you consider ugly in what I have posted? I would prefer to understand what bothers you, so I can avoid inadvertently giving offense when possible.

^ your earlier post, just the way you phrased it, I thought you were suggesting that I should shut up, maybe it's only me :p

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ your earlier post, just the way you phrased it, I thought you were suggesting that I should shut up, maybe it's only me :p
I was pointing out that there was a third option in addition to the two you presented, which you or anyone may exercise if they aren't happy with the other two. I have no reason to ask you to shut up, though if I did, the request would be unmistakable.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was pointing out that there was a third option in addition to the two you presented, which you or anyone may exercise if they aren't happy with the other two. I have no reason to ask you to shut up, though if I did, the request would be unmistakable.

I'm not sure if I should thank you for the warning or worry about that possible future.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure if I should thank you for the warning or worry about that possible future.
If it is any reassurance, I exercise that third option quite often myself - I keep my mouth shut because I know my honest opinion will be poorly received, and I am unwilling to tell someone what they want to hear just for the sake of it. I heartily encourage others to consider a similar approach in such circumstances, which is not at all the same as telling you specifically to do it here. Your honest opinion should be received at least with courtesy here, if not always with agreement.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If it is any reassurance, I exercise that third option quite often myself - I keep my mouth shut because I know my honest opinion will be poorly received, and I am unwilling to tell someone what they want to hear just for the sake of it. I heartily encourage others to consider a similar approach in such circumstances, which is not at all the same as telling you specifically to do it here. Your honest opinion should be received at least with courtesy here, if not always with agreement.

Hmm, well that is reassuring. :thumbup:

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why exactly does the distinction matter?

Now that you mention it, I've wondered that for a long time myself. Nobody has explained it to me in a way that I understand. :p

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Now that you mention it, I've wondered that for a long time myself. Nobody has explained it to me in a way that I understand. :p

I think the OP means that nice is more a formality and kind is more of a genuine attitude.

For example "nice" would be being polite and friendly with everyone, this is an external thing. "Kind" would be an internal thing, when one really has good intentions towards others and possibly shows it through actions. The "nice" person can act real friendly friendly but backstab you when you are not looking - the kind person may sometimes be rude, or may be real polite, in any case they won't backstab you.

I don't know how to explain it to types who don't grasp Fi very well. My ENTp/ILE friend didn't understand the concept someone criticizing you being on your side - he thought I was a backstabber because I didn't celebrate his actions, even the stupid ones.

I prefer the distinction "friendly" vs "kind", "nice" is somewhere in between to me.

Last edited:

rav3n

Niceness is often virtue signalling from people who aren't terribly kind or decent human beings.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Same reason some people used to argue about how many angels could fit on the head of a pin.