• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it possible to change? Why should we change?

Lark

Is it possible to change? Why should we change and also what will determine that change? Why is it difficult to change, what are the barriers? Which personality type has it easier to change? If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?

I am trying to lose weight, I'll tell you how it goes, so far its dead slow, although it is changing, dead slowly, the one thing I would change about the world is that I would make myself fabulously wealthy with a boost in health, fitness and longevity.

Mole

Permabanned
Homeostasis and Exstasis

We respond to our environment. So if we wish to change, we need to change our environment.

Very few of us are prepared to change our environment, we much prefer to manipulate our present environment, in fact we are rather proud of the fact that we can manipulate our present environment, no matter how bad it is for us. We like to keep on doing the same old thing, hoping the outcome will be different. It is called homeostasis. On the other hand, changing our environment is called exstasis, and is ecstatic.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well this gave me the impression that you're talking about personal change, which is what I'm basing the rest of this upon.
Theoretically, anybody could change anything about themselves, but more realistically, some people are unable to change themselves no matter how hard they try. Also, even if somebody could change, it's going to be impossible unless they would like to change. You can't succeed without due motivation. I know that I didn't say much, but I don't know what else to say, because this essentially sums up what I think about this subject. If you would like to ask me anything else, you should be as precise as possible.

Mole

Permabanned
There is a whole social movement called Personal Growth. This refers to the growth of the psyche. There are Personal Growth Centres such as Esalen, at Big Sur, California, click on YouTube

The growth of the body follows a pattern in the womb, as a child, and adolescent, as an adult and parent, and as an old person. And our psyche also follows a pattern as we move from a foetus to an old person. And we give surprisingly little attention to the growth of our psyche.

We are inclined to see our psyche in instrumental terms, we see it in terms of what we can do with it, how we can use it. Mbti is a good example of this. However rather than using our psyche, we can value our psyche, and see it in intrinsic terms, in other words we can treat our psyche for its own sake. And we can help our psyche to grow and develop through our lifetime.

StrawberryBoots

Is it possible to change?

Yes, there are some neuroscientists that believe it's possible to experience lasting changes in the brain.

Neuroscientist Donald Hebb’s landmark discovery in 1949, "neurons that fire together wire together," explains the process of adding and strengthening brain pathways. In other words, when you repeatedly align your beliefs, feelings, visions, and actions, you can experience lasting changes:

1. Identify the beliefs that support your intention
2. Embrace your positive emotions
3. Visualize
4. Take actions that support your intention
5. REPEAT

(Source: 5 Ways To Rewire Your Brain For Meaningful Life Changes - mindbodygreen)

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it possible to change?: Of course it is. Depending on the person, is how easily or hard change comes though. Also it depends what you intend TO change. Not everything can truly be "change" by merely thinking "I can fly!".
Why should we change and also what will determine that change?: We should change if our actions are damaging our own inner peace, and abilities. Under other circumstances, we should accept change in environments or change to ourselves as something we do can deeply damage other people. But the strongest needed changes should come from a desire within ourselves, not from others.
Why is it difficult to change, what are the barriers?: Change breaks habit, routine, structure we built ourselves on. Change also requires us to swallow our pride and accept there is a problem with something we do which is only hurting us in the end. The barriers are will-power, or lack of it, and pride moreless.
Which personality type has it easier to change?: I doubt any type finds it "Easy" to truly make a needed change.
If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?: I would desire less arguments and more getting along. Of course, we all know world peace is quite idealistic...

Is it possible to change?

Yes

Why should we change and

To adapt to changes around us and in us.

also what will determine that change?

Different results

Why is it difficult to change,

It's easier not to. Our default setting is for comfort.

what are the barriers?

Only you.

Which personality type has it easier to change?

Any type who is not immature.

If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?

How about you sort yourself out before you worry about the rest of the world?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"We have to experience deep rooted pain. For with a change, indeed all changes there are a risk of enduring pain. We instinctively avoid this pain, even when it is in our best interests. Until somehow we can override this fear complex chemically or by some other means we will be enclosed in a prison of our own making, and that is what the mind is willing to endure, and what it is not." LightSun

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy, for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter into another." Anatole France

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star." Frederich Nietzsche

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." M. Scott Peck (1936 - 2005)

“When you can’t go forward, and you can’t go backward, and you can’t stay where you are without killing off something deep and vital in yourself, you are on the edge of creation.” Sue Monk Kidd

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“People are always seeing to change others rather than look within. If it is hard for you to change then how can you realistically and in addition rationally believe that you can change another human being?" LightSun

“You must be the change you want to see in the world. As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world – that is the myth of the atomic age – as in being able to remake ourselves.” Gandhi

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leo Tolstoy