• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Child Sexual Abuse and Catholicism

hav

MBTI Type
INTJ
What I find interesting is that these acts within the church are almost always performed by homosexual men. Yet homosexual men as a group aren't put to blame, and they shouldn't be. But catholics as a group are put to blame, and it seems like society expects us to answer for evil actions performed by seperate individuals to which we have no connection.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Focusing on the person rather than the issue is a sign of acting out, it is a sign that you wish to act out your psychodrama in public here, and you wish to recruit me as an actor in your psychodrama.

This is plainly an active neurosis, and the fact is we don't provide therapy here, however qualified psychotherapists are skilled in understanding neurosis and neurotics.

I'm not focusing on the person but on the way in which the person chooses to focus on or spin the subject matter. I don't care for accusing you. Maybe you should stop thinking I'm out to get you.

I'll ignore the rest of your post as it is clearly an insult masked as some kind of psuedo-diagnosis (It is against the rules to diagnose people for mental illness over this forum I believe), you don't have the balls to insult me, so you resort to sounding pompous.

This isn't constructive, so I'll stop.

Jaguar

I don't hate the USA.

You appear to have a problem with the fact the U.S. spells words differently than you are accustomed to. But thanks for the rep.

libelous

adjective
containing, constituting, or involving a libel; maliciously defamatory.

Religion isn't really bad. Organized religion is a thing that gathers power hungry individuals who can manipulate others easily when some of their followers are in particularly rough periods in their lives and seeking understanding and a sense of belonging. It doesn't mean a religion is inherently evil or that it's followers are but with any kind of organization you will find nefarious types seeking opportunities to exploit others. That's why I try and avoid tightly structured and controlling organizations if at all possible. Life is already filled with enough organizations asserting authority over others without me seeking one out and voluntarily handing them such power.

Maybe if the Catholic Church allowed priests to marry, didn't create environments where adults have too much unsupervised access to children, and actually rooted out and punished perverts instead of shuffling them about and denying the damn problem they'd have more followers and the trust of the public. Slapping more bandages on an already infected wound only allows it to thrive in the darkness.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe if the Catholic Church allowed priests to marry, didn't create environments where adults have too much unsupervised access to children, and actually rooted out and punished perverts instead of shuffling them about and denying the damn problem they'd have more followers and the trust of the public. Slapping more bandages on an already infected wound only allows it to thrive in the darkness.

yeah, I'm not sure where it's currently at, but past history of the Church in this regard has been audacious and despicable. I'm at ground zero for the Netflix "The Keepers" documentary, and it's just absolutely insane how all of that was handled, up through the mid/late 90's.

As you note, it's not necessarily religion in general but it's the organizational, social, and power structure that allows abusers to lurk in the dark and for problems to fester.

hav

MBTI Type
INTJ
Catholic priests do not marry because they dedicate their whole lives to their parish, which can't be said for other churches where being a priest is more of a career. No one forces anyone to be a priest. If it is your calling to get married, then by all means - get married! Priests on the other hand are "married to God", they are the fathers of their parish, they herd it and they take care of it. They hold daily masses for the salvation of all souls, they listen to daily confessions and provide concrete advice to get rid of bad habits, they write and lecture sermons once a week, they pray three times a day, they provide pastoral care for anyone - not just catholics, they baptize and welcome anyone willing to enter the world's largest community, they lead marriages hence letting the love of two people flourish into the most fundamental thing there ever was - the family. Living in celibacy does not make you want to molest children. The real problem is paedophiles being drawn to employment where alone time with children occurs: as gym teachers, daycare educators but also priests. Catholic priests will never marry. Get over it!

Beorn

Permabanned
Damn, Francis is politically savvy.
Uses this as an opportunity to take out conservative rivals (not saying Mueller didn't deserve to be removed for his intransigence on the molestation issue, but why not do it before now? Hundreds of priests and thousands of victims not enough?).

Pope Francis Ousts Powerful Conservative Cardinal - The New York Times

I rescind these remarks, I'm really too ignorant about catholic politics and organization to comment.

Beorn

Permabanned
Catholic priests do not marry because they dedicate their whole lives to their parish, which can't be said for other churches where being a priest is more of a career. No one forces anyone to be a priest. If it is your calling to get married, then by all means - get married! Priests on the other hand are "married to God", they are the fathers of their parish, they herd it and they take care of it. They hold daily masses for the salvation of all souls, they listen to daily confessions and provide concrete advice to get rid of bad habits, they write and lecture sermons once a week, they pray three times a day, they provide pastoral care for anyone - not just catholics, they baptize and welcome anyone willing to enter the world's largest community, they lead marriages hence letting the love of two people flourish into the most fundamental thing there ever was - the family. Living in celibacy does not make you want to molest children. The real problem is paedophiles being drawn to employment where alone time with children occurs: as gym teachers, daycare educators but also priests. Catholic priests will never marry. Get over it!

They're married to God and yet only half are celibate and 6% prey on children.

If the first Pope, Peter, was married I don't see any reason why other priests can't be married.

Mole

Permabanned
You appear to have a problem with the fact the U.S. spells words differently than you are accustomed to. But thanks for the rep.

libelous

adjective
containing, constituting, or involving a libel; maliciously defamatory.

The American revolutionary and lexicographer, Noah Webster, hated the British so much he hated even their language, English.

English is based on the history of each word, reflected in its spelling, so Noah, the brilliant lexicographer he was, set about cutting off American English from its history. Noah set about neutering American English. And he was spectacularly successful, his neutered English is taught in every American school, his dictionary, Webster's American Dictionary, is in every library, and worse, his bastard English is in my spell checker.

Like all hate filled revolutionaries such as Pol Pot, Noah Webster tried to turn us back to Year Zero, but English, as the lingua franca of the whole world, proved too strong for him.

So we love English and the history of each word, while Americans unconsciously express their revolutionary hatred of us every time they write down an English word.

Mole

Permabanned
As you note, it's not necessarily religion in general but it's the organizational, social, and power structure that allows abusers to lurk in the dark and for problems to fester.

The Church offers consolation but religiously avoids the analysis, evaluation, and integration of neurosis. As a result the officers of the Church act out their neurosis in their vulnerable parishioners, particularly children.

This is not the slightest bit unusual, whole countries act our their neurosis on vulnerable members such as Germany acting out on twelve million Germans, and the Marxist States acting out on one hundred million over seventy years. And indeed Typology Central offers consolation by not analysis, evaluation, and integration of neurosis, and as a result we act out our psychodramas here with vulnerable and naive members.

Abusers don't lurk in the dark, they are here in broad daylight, openly acting out their psychodramas in public.

Mole

Permabanned
What I find interesting is that these acts within the church are almost always performed by homosexual men. Yet homosexual men as a group aren't put to blame, and they shouldn't be. But catholics as a group are put to blame, and it seems like society expects us to answer for evil actions performed by seperate individuals to which we have no connection.

Both the nine year Irish Judicial Enquiry into child abuse and the Australian Royal Commission into child abuse both found it was the institution that was to blame for child abuse. Naturally Catholics wish to deny this, they wish to deny their complicity, guilt and silence. Catholics are indeed 'good Germans', click on The "Good German" syndrome