• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which approach do you prefer: philosophy or science?

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
science, since it's so easy to just prove and there's something concrete you can put behind anything that happens. I do think philosophy is interesting though and like to hear people's takes on things from a philosophical standpoint, so long as they're not totally pretentious about it

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both are important perspectives to approach and kinda "run" any sort of idea through imo. The Truth isn't solely scientific or philosophical in nature, ya know?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both are important perspectives to approach and kinda "run" any sort of idea through imo. The Truth isn't solely scientific or philosophical in nature, ya know?
There is more than one kind of truth. Some truth is entirely scientific. Want to get a rocket to Mars? Philosophy won't be much use. It can, however, help you decide whether that is a worthwhile goal to begin with, given everything else going on in the world.

Mole

Permabanned
Both Western philosophy and science were began 3,000 years ago in Ancient Greece.

Socrates kicked off Western philosophy with critical thinking, however critical thinking does precipitate cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful.

And the Ancient Greeks also kicked off Western science by discovering that the Gods were natural forces, so science was called natural philosophy.

Neither the Chinese, nor the Indians, nor Islam, nor tribal peoples, invented philosophy or science. Here, though, I am required to give a trigger warning, as the previous sentence is not politically correct, and may cause offence.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is more than one kind of truth. Some truth is entirely scientific. Want to get a rocket to Mars? Philosophy won't be much use. It can, however, help you decide whether that is a worthwhile goal to begin with, given everything else going on in the world.

*insert whatever the coriolis version of a like is here*

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Both Western philosophy and science were began 3,000 years ago in Ancient Greece.

Socrates kicked off Western philosophy with critical thinking, however critical thinking does precipitate cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful.

And the Ancient Greeks also kicked off Western science by discovering that the Gods were natural forces, so science was called natural philosophy.

Neither the Chinese, nor the Indians, nor Islam, nor tribal peoples, invented philosophy or science. Here, though, I am required to give a trigger warning, as the previous sentence is not politically correct, and may cause offence.

I think people in India created math though.

Mole

Permabanned

Only the New Age thinks philosophy is about values, in fact Western philosophy is about the critique of values.

And the New Age hates Western philosophy because it causes cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful, and the New Age is about consoling us rather than discovering the truth.

The New Age, like the good burghers of Athens, would condemn Socrates, the founder of Western philosophy, to death.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is this a joke on Indian people being stereotyped as math majors?

Well I just heard they at least discovered some mathematical thing. Maybe not math as a whole, but I know some non European on country did discover/invent math first. It was really just meant to be a sparky comment.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I just heard they at least discovered some mathematical thing. Maybe not math as a whole, but I know some non European on country did discover/invent math first. It was really just meant to be a sparky comment.

Ok, but from what I know many cultures had math, I agree the Greeks didn't invent it, and any culture that built complex buildings needed math, so that would the Incas, Mayas, Egyptians, Indians, Sumerians, etc.

I just don't think anyone "invented" math, math was discovered at different places by different cultures. ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Philosophy are the parents to science.
I wouldnt know how to separate them.

Religion is an integral part of philosophy and like the drunk uncle.

@math: our today's numbers system came from Arabia. They were always the better salesman :)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Indians are often credited with "inventing" zero.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Philosophy and science are both based on logic, but they are meant to answer different types of questions. Philosophy is for answering questions that are metaphysical or purely abstract, beyond what can be measured empirically. Science is for answering questions about the material universe and involves using observation and experimentation to find enough empirical evidence to prove or disprove a hypothesis and then build theories and models based on the accepted hypotheses. Science is not looking for Truth with a capital T like philosophy sometimes is, but is instead looking for what is observably consistent enough that predictions can be made off of it.

I like both approaches but find the questions posed by philosophy to be more interesting.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i prefer whichever is best suited to the question at hand... i wouldn't apply either to the other's sphere withought good cause... (yes, if you are wondering, i do realise that my spelling of without is nonstandard)...

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hrm. I've heard somewhere that science stemmed from philosophy?

I mean, generally speaking for both, you're making an assumption about how the way the world works, then you see if that assumption makes sense.

Or something like that.

It did. David Hume is partly responsible for setting up the laws of logic. Well, atleast influencing them and how to test a theory against reality. Then of course Aristotle, Descartes, Epicurus, etc. They all built on each other.

rvfvclv

awkward
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
To call someone racist is for those without an argument.

To call an entire country unhygienic based on a negative and inferiorizing stereotype is plainly ignorant to say the least.

Last edited: