User Tag List

123 Last

Default The Hand Held God

From 300,000 years ago we have had a God of the Hearth in our huts. The God of the Hearth was usually a small statue, and with our bicameral mind we heard the voice of the Hearth God. And as our village grew so we had a bigger hut in the middle of the village holding the Village God, whose voice we all heard. And as we grew bigger so did our God, to become a tribal God, a multi-tribal God, and the God of a Nation, and finally a universal mono-theistic God. But we remember we started with the God of the Hearth, who we could hold in our hand.

And today I look around me and see everyone communing with a hand held God, in the bus, on the street, at dinner, even in bed at night. Yes, we have returned to our origins with a hand held God which we call the mobile phone, which we can hear, just as we heard our God of the Hearth.

And we recall that whatever we behold, we become. And as we are all beholding our mobile phones, what are we becoming?
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Virtual slaves however some have a tighter noose than others.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    Just Ni

Lol this makes Frederick Neitszche's quote "God is Dead" quite modern..

aww man my phone died
    F O R E V E R

When it matters, everyone's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    Lol this makes Frederick Neitszche's quote "God is Dead" quite modern..

aww man my phone died
    Yes, Fred's God is dead refers to the death of the God of the Book, and all around us, wherever we look, we see the hand held God, the mobile phone.

The God of the Book requires faith, while the hand held God whispers in our ear.

Our very first hand held God, the God of the Hearth, whispered in our ear 300,000 years ago, and our hand held God of today, the mobile phone, still whispers in our ear. We have no need for faith in our hand held God, because we can hear the voice of our God in our own ear. So the Age of Faith is now the content of the Age of direct aural experience.

And naturally in the Age of Faith we argue about the existence of a God that requires faith, but in the Age of the hand held God, no one argues about the existence of God because we can hear the voice of God ourselves.

And although everyone from the Kalahari desert to New York is glued to their mobile phone, we don't realise we are communing with our God.

We don't realise that whatever we worship, we become. We don't wonder what we are becoming. Yet our hand held God reaches in below consciousness and changes us without our knowing, we all sing the love song of J. Alfred Prufrock -

LET us go then, you and I,
    When the evening is spread out against the sky
    Like a patient etherized upon a table;
    Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
    The muttering retreats
    Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
    And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
    Streets that follow like a tedious argument
    Of insidious intent
    To lead you to an overwhelming question ...
    Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"

Listen to the hand.
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

Mole you should watch American Gods on Amazon Prime I'd say you'd get a real kick out of it.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon
    Likes Beorn liked this post

Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

edit

Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

And we recall that whatever we behold, we become. And as we are all beholding our mobile phones, what are we becoming?
    A mobile phone? If we become what we behold, and we behold our phones, we are becoming our phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    A mobile phone? If we become what we behold, and we behold our phones, we are becoming our phones.
    To answer, we are becoming our phones is a literal interpretation. I find this hard to respond to because it is so impoverished.

When I speak of the hand held God, I am speaking metaphorically, I am engaging in abstract thinking, I am engaging in a rich and educated way of thinking. To respond with such poverty is beyond sad, it invites an equally impoverished response, and plainly comes from an impoverished background, where such intellectual poverty is taken for granted, and worse, they take a perverse pride in their poverty.

Such pride in poverty is also part of a national tradition, that has produced a political party called The Know Nothing Party. It is the anti-intellectualism of the industrial working class, who diss what they don't understand, and who are so deluded they elect a billionaire host of a fantasy TV program to represent their interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    To answer, we are becoming our phones is a literal interpretation. I find this hard to respond to because it is so impoverished.

When I speak of the hand held God, I am speaking metaphorically, I am engaging in abstract thinking, I am engaging in a rich and educated way of thinking. To respond with such poverty is beyond sad, it invites an equally impoverished response, and plainly comes from an impoverished background, where such intellectual poverty is taken for granted, and worse, they take a perverse pride in their poverty.

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Typh0n liked this post