• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hand Held God

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm holding some toilet paper and I'm kinda worried now.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
From 300,000 years ago we have had a God of the Hearth in our huts. The God of the Hearth was usually a small statue, and with our bicameral mind we heard the voice of the Hearth God. And as our village grew so we had a bigger hut in the middle of the village holding the Village God, whose voice we all heard. And as we grew bigger so did our God, to become a tribal God, a multi-tribal God, and the God of a Nation, and finally a universal mono-theistic God. But we remember we started with the God of the Hearth, who we could hold in our hand. And today I look around me and see everyone communing with a hand held God, in the bus, on the street, at dinner, even in bed at night. Yes, we have returned to our origins with a hand held God which we call the mobile phone, which we can hear, just as we heard our God of the Hearth. And we recall that whatever we behold, we become. And as we are all beholding our mobile phones, what are we becoming?
Phones aren't Gods, they are the world. Both literally and metaphorically. Everyone marches down the wide short road- head down, phone in hand.

Mole

Permabanned
What about the amish though? As far as I'm concerned they don't use cell phones (at least, most of them don't). How they connect with god then?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering if god has a special line now, like 911 or something.

Everywhere we look from the Kalahari desert to New York we are paying attention to our mobile phones. Plainly something very big is happening to the entire world.

Normally we take our mobile phones for granted, but it is very important to start thinking about our mobile phones. One way is to think of them from a different angle, such as comparing today's mobile phone with the God of the Hearth 300,000 years ago. Or we might start thinking about our mobile phones by reading the patron saint of the internet, Marshall McLuhan, click on http://web.mit.edu/allanmc/www/mcluhan.mediummessage.pdf

Literalism is a mistake Americans make in thinking because they were founded by the literal interpretation of the Bible and they unconsciously interpret most things literally. But it is a mistake. Of course we can't talk to God over our mobile phones, it is that whatever we behold we become. Whatever we worship, we become. Normally we worship our God, but we are treating our mobile phones in the same way we treat our God. And we are doing this across the world.

I hope you are here to do more than troll, and would like to learn to think.

Mole

Permabanned
Phones aren't Gods, they are the world. Both literally and metaphorically. Everyone marches down the wide short road- head down, phone in hand.

The point is that whatever we worship we become. And it is obvious we worship our God and in the marriage ceremony we promise to worship our spouse, it is less obvious we worship what we pay attention to. So where is our attention going to today? Well, we only have to look around us to see everyone glued to their mobile phones, and we only have to read the newspapers to discover that millions of mobile phones are being used in Africa and the Middle East. What does this mean?