12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Death: What's the problem?

Oay serious question, what's the whole problem with death?

I keep seeing people claiming that a person cannot understand what happens at death and there's an intrinsic need for an afterlife for people's psychological wellbeing.. why?

I've always thought the same thing, when you're dead you're dead. It stops. Nothing happens. A total absence of you. You're not there, you're dead.

What's the problem with that?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INXP

I'm with you, Xander. Soil nourishment; that's better than any afterlife. Simple, practical, beautiful.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTP

Pain, lost dreams, the psychological wellbeing of those who love you, and the unknown.

Have you ever tried to put yourself in the place of someone who loves you that you care about if you died? Its one of those empathy things.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I'm with you, Xander. Soil nourishment; that's better than any afterlife. Simple, practical, beautiful.
    Gee, I can't wait to put "Compost / Worm Fodder" on my resume!

Like Gen says, it's all about fear of loss [and thus fear of emotional pain].
    For those who have been left behind, since the dead feel nothing.

Sometimes values take part in it.
    (Some people feel they need to have "accomplished something" with their lives and suffer pain if they feel they haven't.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I had a dream last night about someone I loved possibly dying, and it sucked big time. Death is a pain in the ass, but as I've said, "if it didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent it." It's the key to the survival of the species above the individual. The cosmic joke.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Exactly. And a darn sight more likely than nirivana or whatever (sorry whatever).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Pain, lost dreams, the psychological wellbeing of those who love you, and the unknown.

Have you ever tried to put yourself in the place of someone who loves you that you care about if you died? Its one of those empathy things.
    Um I've lost people I love.. I do partially wish that I did believe I'd see them again. However I refuse to allow my own needs warp my perspective (well I'm at least going to try to be objective... I did say try...).

I refused to cry when I lost my mother because basically if she was still alive then she'd still be in pain and all because her son cannot let her go. I refuted that. I refused to crumble and instead I'm as happy as I can be about it. I knew her and that's what I hold dear. To try to pull her back or have her waiting around for me somewhere smells of selfishness to my nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well use a shovel dummy.. jeez you get it laminated so it won't spoil not so you can use it to clean out the garden!
    Like Gen says, it's all about fear of loss [and thus fear of emotional pain].
    For those who have been left behind, since the dead feel nothing.

Sometimes values take part in it.
    (Some people feel they need to have "accomplished something" with their lives and suffer pain if they feel they haven't.)
    All I usually see is someone who wants more as pretty much everyone does. The question is, how much is enough?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I had a dream last night about someone I loved possibly dying, and it sucked big time. Death is a pain in the ass, but as I've said, "if it didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent it." It's the key to the survival of the species above the individual. The cosmic joke.
    But no one comes up with something to believe in that explains say cancer in an irrational way and forms large groups on it (as far as I am aware). Sure death sucks, so what? There is a lot of suckage out there... you can't keep it all at bay especially not by closing your eyes and wishing real hard.

MBTI
    INXP

Oh joy, a purveyor of sarcasm.

Sounds like they need a better grasp of autonomy. Knowing everything is in life is to better understand how we effect each other and the world around us. This kind of guilt deterrent is selfish.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Well, true.

It's the kick in the ass to get the old imperfected models off the conveyor belt so the new model can come into vogue.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I refused to cry when I lost my mother because basically if she was still alive then she'd still be in pain and all because her son cannot let her go. I refuted that. I refused to crumble and instead I'm as happy as I can be about it. I knew her and that's what I hold dear. To try to pull her back or have her waiting around for me somewhere smells of selfishness to my nose.
    Actually, I'd cry because it hurts, not because I'd be saying I'd "want them back."
    It's okay to express emotion, without it being any sort of demand or intellectual statement. It just "is."

I'd cry because I loved them, and now they're gone.

And then I'd get over it and move on with my life as best as I could.

btw, I'm sorry about your mom, but I'm glad you can see it as a positive thing.

All I usually see is someone who wants more as pretty much everyone does. The question is, how much is enough?
    Again, I don't necessarily see that. I think fear of death is just part of being human and fearing pain, loss, disability, lack of control, whatever. Why deny it? Why pretend we're invulnerable? It's a lie.

I do agree that the most spiritual/strong people are those who learn to accept their death -- the fact that everything that has a beginning has an end, that there's a time for it all and then a gracefulness in allowing things to move on -- and thus use that bookend to frame their lives now even more brilliantly.

Death defines life. (see my tag: "Only in silence the word; only in dark the light; only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.")

You run from death? You'll be running from life too.