• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Death: What's the problem?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Oay serious question, what's the whole problem with death?

I keep seeing people claiming that a person cannot understand what happens at death and there's an intrinsic need for an afterlife for people's psychological wellbeing.. why?

I've always thought the same thing, when you're dead you're dead. It stops. Nothing happens. A total absence of you. You're not there, you're dead.

What's the problem with that?

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm with you, Xander. Soil nourishment; that's better than any afterlife. Simple, practical, beautiful.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Pain, lost dreams, the psychological wellbeing of those who love you, and the unknown.

Have you ever tried to put yourself in the place of someone who loves you that you care about if you died? Its one of those empathy things. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm with you, Xander. Soil nourishment; that's better than any afterlife. Simple, practical, beautiful.

Gee, I can't wait to put "Compost / Worm Fodder" on my resume!

Like Gen says, it's all about fear of loss [and thus fear of emotional pain].
For those who have been left behind, since the dead feel nothing.

Sometimes values take part in it.
(Some people feel they need to have "accomplished something" with their lives and suffer pain if they feel they haven't.)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I had a dream last night about someone I loved possibly dying, and it sucked big time. Death is a pain in the ass, but as I've said, "if it didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent it." It's the key to the survival of the species above the individual. The cosmic joke.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Exactly. And a darn sight more likely than nirivana or whatever (sorry whatever).
Pain, lost dreams, the psychological wellbeing of those who love you, and the unknown.

Have you ever tried to put yourself in the place of someone who loves you that you care about if you died? Its one of those empathy things. :)
Um I've lost people I love.. I do partially wish that I did believe I'd see them again. However I refuse to allow my own needs warp my perspective (well I'm at least going to try to be objective... I did say try...).

I refused to cry when I lost my mother because basically if she was still alive then she'd still be in pain and all because her son cannot let her go. I refuted that. I refused to crumble and instead I'm as happy as I can be about it. I knew her and that's what I hold dear. To try to pull her back or have her waiting around for me somewhere smells of selfishness to my nose.
Well use a shovel dummy.. jeez you get it laminated so it won't spoil not so you can use it to clean out the garden!
Like Gen says, it's all about fear of loss [and thus fear of emotional pain].
For those who have been left behind, since the dead feel nothing.

Sometimes values take part in it.
(Some people feel they need to have "accomplished something" with their lives and suffer pain if they feel they haven't.)
All I usually see is someone who wants more as pretty much everyone does. The question is, how much is enough?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I had a dream last night about someone I loved possibly dying, and it sucked big time. Death is a pain in the ass, but as I've said, "if it didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent it." It's the key to the survival of the species above the individual. The cosmic joke.
But no one comes up with something to believe in that explains say cancer in an irrational way and forms large groups on it (as far as I am aware). Sure death sucks, so what? There is a lot of suckage out there... you can't keep it all at bay especially not by closing your eyes and wishing real hard.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP

Oh joy, a purveyor of sarcasm.

Sounds like they need a better grasp of autonomy. Knowing everything is in life is to better understand how we effect each other and the world around us. This kind of guilt deterrent is selfish.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well, true.

It's the kick in the ass to get the old imperfected models off the conveyor belt so the new model can come into vogue. ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I refused to cry when I lost my mother because basically if she was still alive then she'd still be in pain and all because her son cannot let her go. I refuted that. I refused to crumble and instead I'm as happy as I can be about it. I knew her and that's what I hold dear. To try to pull her back or have her waiting around for me somewhere smells of selfishness to my nose.

Actually, I'd cry because it hurts, not because I'd be saying I'd "want them back."
It's okay to express emotion, without it being any sort of demand or intellectual statement. It just "is."

I'd cry because I loved them, and now they're gone.

And then I'd get over it and move on with my life as best as I could.

btw, I'm sorry about your mom, but I'm glad you can see it as a positive thing.

All I usually see is someone who wants more as pretty much everyone does. The question is, how much is enough?

Again, I don't necessarily see that. I think fear of death is just part of being human and fearing pain, loss, disability, lack of control, whatever. Why deny it? Why pretend we're invulnerable? It's a lie.

I do agree that the most spiritual/strong people are those who learn to accept their death -- the fact that everything that has a beginning has an end, that there's a time for it all and then a gracefulness in allowing things to move on -- and thus use that bookend to frame their lives now even more brilliantly.

Death defines life. (see my tag: "Only in silence the word; only in dark the light; only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.")

You run from death? You'll be running from life too.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oay serious question, what's the whole problem with death?

I keep seeing people claiming that a person cannot understand what happens at death and there's an intrinsic need for an afterlife for people's psychological wellbeing.. why?

I've always thought the same thing, when you're dead you're dead. It stops. Nothing happens. A total absence of you. You're not there, you're dead.

What's the problem with that?

the kind of argument only some who's not in touch with their feeling side could make.

i quite agree, btw.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Actually, I'd cry because it hurts, not because I'd "want them back."
It's okay to express emotion, without it being any sort of demand or intellectual statement. It just "is."

I'd cry because I loved them, and now they're gone.

And then I'd get over it and move on with my life.
Yeah well still locked in the whole 'why?' loop on that one.

As far as I've got with my reckoning, regretting their loss is far too close to wishing to rescind it and that's a bad thing.
Again, I don't necessarily see that. I think fear of death is just part of being human and fearing pain, loss, disability, lack of control, whatever. Why deny it? Why pretend we're invulnerable? It's a lie.
Why try to be just when we know we're capricious? It's a target, not a milestone.
I do agree that the most spiritual/strong people are those who learn to accept their death -- the fact that everything that has a beginning has an end, that there's a time for it all and then a gracefulness in allowing things to move on -- and thus use that bookend to frame their lives now even more brilliantly.

Death defines life. (see my tag: "Only in silence the word; only in dark the light; only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.")

You run from death? You'll be running from life too.
Precisely. It just leaves me in awe how life, death and afterlife can always be discussed without anyone daring to raise the possibility (and it is a strong one as far as we can tell) that you just plain stop existing as an individual.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
the kind of argument only some who's not in touch with their feeling side could make.

i quite agree, btw.
:rofl1:

:D I actually usually get typed closer to INFP so perhaps I'm just damaged goods :newwink:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:rofl1:

:D I actually usually get typed closer to INFP so perhaps I'm just damaged goods :newwink:

on the positive side, it is a selfless argument...
so many people think the world will stop turning when they pass on, their inability to detach makes it inconceivable that the world might actually be a better place without them.

this thread makes me feel good about myself ;)
(i'm such a psycho)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah well still locked in the whole 'why?' loop on that one.

Well, to me, it's because I find value in the experience.

I think one of my driving questions in life is "What does it mean to be human?" so that I can truly understand the big picture and live the most fulfilling life.

I also am finding increasing value in accepting circumstances placed on me, then finding out how to live within them in the fullest way.

Pain is not something to be feared, it is to be experienced and learned from.

Also, it's part of "living in the moment" and being alive, to me; too much rationalization pulls us further and further away from Now.

We stop living and instead merely think about living.

That seems foolish to me, intellectually -- we are robbing ourselves.

As far as I've got with my reckoning, regretting their loss is far too close to wishing to rescind it and that's a bad thing.

I guess. I can't speak for you. For me, it's not that at all.

But I also have a large artistic/aesthetic side, so experiencing sensations and feelings is an act in itself, it doesn't mean I want to change anything.

Precisely. It just leaves me in awe how life, death and afterlife can always be discussed without anyone daring to raise the possibility (and it is a strong one as far as we can tell) that you just plain stop existing as an individual.

As I've gotten older, I had to face that more and more.

For a long time I thought life was utterly pointless unless we were eternal and did not understand the other.

I don't know what changed but in the last few years it did. Now it doesn't matter to me whether I live or die beyond this life, it simply makes my life here more precious and I want to live more fully... regardless of the risk. It gives my choices meaning, I think, and left me completely responsible for them.

(That's why I go by the "Christian agnostic/existentialist" label now.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with death is that not everyone gets to take others down with them.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, to me, it's because I find value in the experience.

I think one of my driving questions in life is "What does it mean to be human?" so that I can truly understand the big picture and live the most fulfilling life.
I never even understood why people asked that question nevermind any of the answers. What does it mean to be a dog? Well it means you're a dog... that's kind of cause and effect there. All else is individual in my opinion. The only reason for non biological correlation is cumulative chance in my eyes.
I also am finding increasing value in accepting circumstances placed on me, then finding out how to live within them in the fullest way.
Working with engineers.... gimmie a break... it's my job for goodness sake!!!

:newwink:
Pain is not something to be feared, it is to be experienced and learned from.

Also, it's part of "living in the moment" and being alive, to me; too much rationalization pulls us further and further away from Now.

We stop living and instead merely think about living.
What happened to the t-shirt with "been there, done that" on it? How many times do you need to feel something before it becomes and exercise in redundancy?

Personally I prefer to encounter emotion, not prod it with a taser to see what it does.
That seems foolish to me, intellectually -- we are robbing ourselves.
Precisely. However if we end up languishing in some euphoric state then we are wasting the time we could have spent thinking... balance in all things.
I guess. I can't speak for you. For me, it's not that at all.

But I also have a large artistic/aesthetic side, so experiencing sensations and feelings is an act in itself, it doesn't mean I want to change anything.
Hmm... yeah I guess that's true. I think I see it as more of a slippery slope and so I am cautious about stepping upon it less I hit the bottom before I can catch my grip.
As I've gotten older, I had to face that more and more.
*mental pictures of iron lung, wheelchair, IV*
I'm sure you tend to feel older and younger than those digits which you celebrate suggest. No one is their age really.
For a long time I thought life was utterly pointless unless we were eternal and did not understand the other.

I don't know what changed but in the last few years it did. Now it doesn't matter to me whether I live or die beyond this life, it simply makes my life here more precious and I want to live more fully... regardless of the risk. It gives my choices meaning, I think, and left me completely responsible for them.

(That's why I go by the "Christian agnostic/existentialist" label now.)
Errm may I just suggest you go by the label "complicated". Oddly enough it's less complicated.

:newwink:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never even understood why people asked that question nevermind any of the answers. What does it mean to be a dog? Well it means you're a dog... that's kind of cause and effect there. All else is individual in my opinion.

Xander, if that was the case, there'd be no such thing as art.
Obviously there are patterns within human experience that can be tapped into and used as shorthand in communication.
(Case closed, to me.)

What happened to the t-shirt with "been there, done that" on it? How many times do you need to feel something before it becomes and exercise in redundancy?

I don't know, but it sounds like you don't live within your experiences, you're still keeping them at arm's length.

Precisely. However if we end up languishing in some euphoric state then we are wasting the time we could have spent thinking... balance in all things.

Well, I agree -- I can't afford a perpetual opiate high. ;)

Consider me talking from the perspective of a lifelong detachment junkie who finally decided to engage and sees the point of it now.

Hmm... yeah I guess that's true. I think I see it as more of a slippery slope and so I am cautious about stepping upon it less I hit the bottom before I can catch my grip.

It's a rush, hon. :)

I was terrified for so long to give myself over to it, due to anxiety and loss of control, but I found I enjoyed my life much more when I did. (So it worked for me.)

Errm may I just suggest you go by the label "complicated". Oddly enough it's less complicated.

Hmm. Well, that's true. I'm definitely complicated. ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Xander, if that was the case, there'd be no such thing as art.
There's such a thing as art? Oh you mean the petrified sheep thing... nah..
Obviously there are patterns within human experience that can be tapped into and used as shorthand in communication.
(Case closed, to me.)
As there is in all species. No one tries to make themselves into a goldfish to increase their wisdom.
I don't know, but it sounds like you don't live within your experiences, you're still keeping them at arm's length.
Doubtful. I do a bit of both mostly. I don't like to become embroiled but I also don't like getting my ass frozen off cause I'm miles away from the group hug.
Well, I agree -- I can't afford a perpetual opiate high. ;)

Consider me talking from the perspective of a lifelong detachment junkie who finally decided to engage and sees the point of it now.
See I don't understand the position of a detachment junkie so the whole revelation of engaging is lost on me I'm afraid. I suffer no sudden "hit" of emotion. I experience no sudden feeling of oneness... just the same old me with new toys (hopefully).
It's a rush, hon. :)
Heights are a rush when you have vertigo... that's not a good thing to motivate people with.
I was terrified for so long to give myself over to it, due to anxiety and loss of control, but I found I enjoyed my life much more when I did. (So it worked for me.)
I refuse to give up.. that's one thing that is me.. you may have seen that in our time online :whistling:

I'm not sure about this refusing to move though. I tend to go with the flow so I don't drown trying to stand resolute telling the sea to retreat from my presence but similarly I'm resistant to the whole idea that humans can breathe water... no they can... really. I'm afraid I'm skeptical of that point of view.
Hmm. Well, that's true. I'm definitely complicated. ;)
See... a much simpler definition... simply complicated :D