User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    See I do understand that people wish to prolong their lives. What I don't understand is why.
    Then you don't understand it, you simply know it.
    But I don't believe that at all, unless you have a death wish.
    Everything can be reduced to the old "Selfish Gene" argument - 'if it wasn't that way, we wouldn't be xy z'.
    People aren't rational, any more so than your average lettuce - this much you must know OB1?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The real joke, to me, is that people waste their lives concerned about it and only when it is imminent do they finally realise that their efforts and concerns are futile. Personally I hope to have no regrets on my death bed.
    As opposed to wasting your life talking about how other people waste theirs ?

I know I will regret spending so much time on these navel-gazing forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

What's the problem with death? That would be having to explain it to your children when their pet frog dies. It was a good learning experience for them but you still wish you could shield them from pain.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    What's the problem with death? That would be having to explain it to your children when their pet frog dies. It was a good learning experience for them but you still wish you could shield them from pain.
    That is a good point.

I remember when my kids went through it, they found a bird in the front yard and wanted to take care of it... but we knew that it wasn't going to make it. It was interesting how each of the three dealt differently with it.

The ESFP was all excited over the bird and the most active in caring for it, then expressed sadness when we told him it wasn't going to live but overall did fine even when it died. [He's also the one who flushed his dead beta fish down the commode wholeheartedly, then decided later sadly that he should have buried it instead.]

The INFJ Fe'ed her way through it all and was quiet but compassionate and resilient.

The INTP (and the eldest of the three) acted somewhat detached from it until the bird finally expired, then burst into sudden tears and said, "But we never even named it."

So we named the bird, then buried it in the back field.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

The beleif in an afterlife is, to me, a beleif in humanity, or individuality. I prefer to beleive that death isn't just it because I don't like to see something special disappear.

I prefer to believe that too, but I just can't believe it, I have no faith that anything other than nothingness awaits after.

I know death is inevitable, but really I'm not very happy about it. It upsets me to think that one day i will just cease to be, that all people have is one trip around this world with barely enough time to experience everything that life can truly be especially if what life they have lived is full of suffering, life just seems so pointless at times.

I have heard all the platitudes, and tried them out to see if I could live with them, but none of that takes away the fact that one day I will die. Now if only I was one of the genius types and able to come up the cure against death, or even a way to increase my lifespan to a few thousand years.

All of the discoveries I won't be around to see, like when we finally launch a real life star trek enterprise , I just don't won't to miss it all and for some silly reason evolution thought we would be better off with a century if we are lucky, and a good few of those years spent as old and decrepit.

There is so much wrong with death.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The INTP (and the eldest of the three) acted somewhat detached from it until the bird finally expired, then burst into sudden tears and said, "But we never even named it."
    Word! We so messed up!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Word! We so messed up!
    yeah, i did the same thing he did when I was young.

I kept my feelings inside (sometimes was not even sure what I was feeling)... but we had outdoor cats, and we lived in the country, and it was very common for them usually to die because they got hit by cars speeding on the country roads.

And when that happened, I was the one who take them out back and bury them. My ISFJ mom and sis would not touch them or even think of doing that, they were just cats and they had no duty to them; but with me, I remember thinking about how horrible it was to die alone in pain along the road, hit and then discarded, and how someone should be there for them at least at the end of all things, and since I had it in my power to do that, I was going to be there for them.

Death didn't seem to resonate much with the other people in my family, they just ignored it if at all possible. But with me it raised large large questions and brought those weird feelings of loyalty and compassion to the forefront... although like I described above, it tended to be abstracted and philosophical at least in the questions I asked.

I don't know.
    Death matters.
    I don't think I'll ever reach a point where I'll just shrug it off.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^I want to be Jennifer when I grow up.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

I don't know.
    Death matters.
    I don't think I'll ever reach a point where I'll just shrug it off.
    I am curious.

Would you like to be able to do that?

(The question is actally for everybody.)

ByMySword

I don't know if there's a heaven or hell, but I do believe in an afterlife. I find it hard not to. Sure it could be something we psychologically tell ourselves to make us feel better, though.

But my beliefs of the afterlife come from a belief in a higher power, so they're kind of linked. I think its something thats just beyond human comprehension. And because of that, its not something I really dwell on that much anymore.

Death doesn't matter to me anymore. I'm not afraid to die nor do I let danger deter me. In fact, I find myself looking for danger moreso than anything else.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am curious.
    Would you like to be able to do that?
    No.

I think death is a natural boundary of the universe.
    Thus, if I'm to understand life and the "way of things," I need to be subject to it.
    If I shrugged it off, my understanding of the world would lessen.

"Truth at all costs," correct?
    Even if those costs include inconvenience, suffering, and/or death.