User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Yeah well still locked in the whole 'why?' loop on that one.

As far as I've got with my reckoning, regretting their loss is far too close to wishing to rescind it and that's a bad thing.
    Hes right. Its about living life rather than watching it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Hes right. Its about living life rather than watching it!
    That's the thing though, thought IS a large part of my life. Trying to just go through life mindlessly doing without reflection would be as bad as telling your husband to become an emotionless automaton! Not only is it unlikely but it's also likely to get a rather emphatic response in the plane of NO.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

what about suicide?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    what about suicide?
    Not right now, I'm bu.... oh in theory...

Escapism mostly. It's the ultimate get out of jail free card. My mother always said it was a cowards way out and though I know that to be a very harsh view it has steeled me on occasion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Not right now, I'm bu.... oh in theory...

Escapism mostly. It's the ultimate get out of jail free card. My mother always said it was a cowards way out and though I know that to be a very harsh view it has steeled me on occasion.
    in your own time.

*resurfacing*
    [bluemonday : threadkiller extraordinare]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP

I think the problem with death is what the problem with life is - we have no way of what is going to happen next.

I find arguments about what happens after death intriguing and sometimes tiresome. We flat don't know.

We don't know what will happen one minute from now.

So I've become somewhat anticipatory about it all. Curious - what's gonna happen next. And since I've done my homework, learning through life experience, I trust myself enough to know that whatever it is that happens next I'll meet it and I'll learn something new.

How's that for pragmatism from an INFP?

It's released me from worry and anxiety.

I might add that I find it comforting to know that I don't have to walk alone. We're all on the same path on that one.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Oay serious question, what's the whole problem with death?

I keep seeing people claiming that a person cannot understand what happens at death and there's an intrinsic need for an afterlife for people's psychological wellbeing.. why?

I've always thought the same thing, when you're dead you're dead. It stops. Nothing happens. A total absence of you. You're not there, you're dead.

What's the problem with that?
    I think the issue is that your life is so precious and significant to you, and the universe is completely indifferent. The lack of an afterlife means you have to change the way you view your life.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Oay serious question, what's the whole problem with death?

I keep seeing people claiming that a person cannot understand what happens at death and there's an intrinsic need for an afterlife for people's psychological wellbeing.. why?

I've always thought the same thing, when you're dead you're dead. It stops. Nothing happens. A total absence of you. You're not there, you're dead.

Well, it's obviously what happens, I agree.

When my girlfriend died my senior year of high school, I knew she was gone. I even tried to see if I could make myself believe the whole afterlife thing, but I couldn't even come close. It's just so obviously not true.

Better to see reality for what it is, in my opinion.

It is sad, though. Sometimes I wish I could be in denial and happier...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    I think the issue is that your life is so precious and significant to you, and the universe is completely indifferent. The lack of an afterlife means you have to change the way you view your life.
    Meh. I have a solution, screw the universe. I don't care about it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Well, it's obviously what happens, I agree.

When my girlfriend died my senior year of high school, I knew she was gone. I even tried to see if I could make myself believe the whole afterlife thing, but I couldn't even come close. It's just so obviously not true.

Better to see reality for what it is, in my opinion.

It is sad, though. Sometimes I wish I could be in denial and happier...
    You and me both. The most upsetting thing for me ref my mother was when those claiming to be psychic said they had seen her about looking over me. That was the hardest cross to bear, that if they are telling the truth then by my own limitations I am unable to see my own mother.

MBTI
    INTP

The problem is precisely that I would cease to exist. Meanwhile, since I am incapable of living in the moment without anticipation, the presumption of finality and limitation brought by the existence of death limits my ability to enjoy things that bring me pleasure in this life. There is an unpleasant urgency involved in all otherwise pleasurable diversions, as time spent on one activity inherently takes away time that could be spent on other activities, not just now but also in the future. Possibilities become ever more limited (and the unpleasant sense of urgency increases) as the years go by, leading to a slow but remorseless loss of hope. Add all of this to the fact that we spend most of our mortal existence either unconscious or engaged in dreary and/or miserable activities, and I have a difficult time understanding why you think life without a hope of an afterlife is such a good thing.

You seem to think that the prospect of imminent oblivion provides meaning and appreciation for life; I say that it destroys hope and possibilities that could be utilized to create one's own meaning in life, and degrades things that are already appreciated for their own sake.