User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Death is simply the natural ceasing of life. Without death everybody would be miserable. How would you like it if you were eaten, and retained conciousness whilst being digested? Not exactly a very pleasant scenario. If nothing died, we'd be up to our knees in moaning people. Death is for the best: Without it everyone's Quality of Life goes way down, people feel gnawing hunger of starvation due to being forgotten but never having the pain alleviate, there becomes a true crisis for food, etc.

Basically, without death, we can't survive. And with it we can't either. I'd prefer death to exist than not.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I'm sorry to state that I refuse to agree with ayoitsStepho on this one; it relies solely upon the assumption that the ONLY reason god created us was because his angels ended up going to war with each other and killing each other off. The only reason he made the angels in the first place was so that they could endlessly worship him and say how great a guy he was and so on without end. They weren't created for any purpose other than a selfish desire for ego inflation of god, and when they screwed that up, he decided to make humans to continue the ego inflation trend.

The capacity of being able to think for yeurself, and the capacity to feel pleasure are not benefits given to us for our benefit, but rather, thinking for yeurself means the praise feels 'real' and not hollow; if yeu made a bunch of mindless robots endlessly repeating the same prayers over and over without end, it wouldn't feel all that great. But to make people actually WANT to do so, yeu have to give them a reason, and that reason is "it makes yeu feel good". If we had both free will, and no pleasure, we wouldn't worship god. If we had pleasure and no free will, then the pleasure would be pointless. If we have no free will then our praise means nothing.

The only purpose for individuals beyond this, is therefore to influence each other. How many people were brutally tortured or killed in the bible to 'set an example' to others to 'encourage' the rest of the people to continue the trend of praise?

I absolutely refuse to look at god in this, the accepted dogma of the church. It's disgusting to think of a cruel being that has this large an ego that he has to create people for the sole purpose of getting to hear them brag about how great he is. I flat out refuse to accept that as the nature of god, or that my only purpose in life is to provide any service to such a horribly malicious being.

That being said, I'd like to think that there's meaning beyond our limited greedy and selfish understanding. I'd like to think that god is just being anthromorphized into being given false human traits, and that, if he exists in a manner similar to our understanding, that he is not a rude, arrogant, egotistical brat, and us little more than his dancing monkies.

If this is, however the case, I will be greatly pleased to disappoint him. If not the case, then I shall continue to seek my own purpose, which may or may not be divine in origin.

But to exist to give praise to someone who obviously doesn't deserve it, is not one of them, and not one I'm willing to accept.

MBTI
    ENFJ

People don't remember not existing, so it seems like going back to that would be a difficult adjustment.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

the adjustment only lasts a few moments. childbirth is probably worse than death.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    OH! That's where I go wrong...

No. Never. Not once.
    Well... whatever Englishmen do when they're ecstatically happy.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Figured I'd stress the qualifying statement within that quote.

"in heaven".

Not 'here on earth but in heaven'.

I was specifically stating *IF THERE WAS NO HEAVEN AT ALL* then worshipping god on earth would be a pointless chore, with no reward because there'd be no heaven, or afterlife in general.

If someone gives yeu an endless supply of menial tasks to do, and gets angry at yeu if yeu don't perform them with all yeur heart, despite that they are not paying yeu back in any manner of speaking at all, not with money, not with goods, not with services, and not with heaven, then this would be slavery.

That being said, the christian bible's definition of 'heaven' is actually about the same idea as my concept of a hell for the mind and soul, while the 'real hell' would be a hell for the body. Neither's all that attractive of a choice. This has no relevance upon whot I was stating in my post that was quoted though, just a statement in response to yeur own =3
    Sorry. I misunderstood.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Sorry. I misunderstood.
    No problem, I don't mean to be harsh, though I do get wrapped up in the moment easily XD

That being said, if there were no afterlife, and no eternal reward, there would be no reason to worship god, as it literally would be slavery. Perhaps that's the biggest reason why it's emphasized so much? No clue, so hard to say. I guess we'll all figure it out if there's an afterlife eventually, whether we want to or not ^.~

MBTI
    FREE

Evolutionarily speaking, those individuals who feared death and the unknown consequently sought with greater vigor to avoid death and discover truth. This led to those individuals having more knowledge with which to advance and longer lives in which they could proliferate. Thus, they would successfully produce more offspring and those traits would saturate the gene pool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Evolutionarily speaking, those individuals who feared death and the unknown consequently sought with greater vigor to avoid death and discover truth. This led to those individuals having more knowledge with which to advance and longer lives in which they could proliferate. Thus, they would successfully produce more offspring and those traits would saturate the gene pool.

individuals who fear the unknown stay indoors a lot and tend to keep to themselves.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    individuals who fear the unknown stay indoors a lot and tend to keep to themselves.
    But not always!

Some of us rather enjoy the unknown! Which's why we stay indoors and keep to ourselves... because teh inturwebz are far more saturated with unknowns than anything yeu can find easily in reality without a massively large budget ^.~