User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 181

  1. #111

    Default

    Puts me in mind of the [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0xKPv9jDY"]Atheist Sneeze.[/YOUTUBE]
    When you die, nothing happens.

    I think that the belief of an afterlife is based on the belief that everything is continuous: there was no beginning, and there is no end. The universe goes on and on. That the soul cannot die. Etc. I believe that a soul can be killed, but it doesn't necessarily die with the body. The body is just a shell for the soul.

    I don't think I'm wrong on this, but then who DOES think they're wrong about their beliefs? The most you can hope for is someone who is big enough to allow for the possibility that they COULD be wrong. In my years of contact with Christians (Southern Baptist, the worst kind of Baptist), who believed nothing but what the Bible says and allowed no room for anything else, I was completely blown away when my (Christian) therapist said, "...that's what I believe. But hey, I could be wrong."

    It doesn't really matter what you believe in, just as long as you believe in something. Allow for the possibility of being wrong. I have no problem with anyone's beliefs under two conditions: you don't go around shoving it down people's throats and it doesn't harm someone. If it does either, expect to be fought.
    Though thrown into banality, this is not who I am, not who I meant to be. I find my answers in my dreams.

    "With one hand the past pushes us forward, and with the other it holds us back."

    "All love, like fame, is fleeting, when there's no hope anymore."

    "I wrestle alone in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know,
    only I can understand. You live with the threat of my extinction, I live with it too."

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"I long to be like you, lie cold in the ground like you." 10.3.2006

  2. #112
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    And in my opinion to live without anticipation for the future is to live without hope, which I think is lame.

    If the future doesn't exist, why work or save for retirement? Why strive to better your lot at all? Humans have to live in anticipation (i.e. hope) for a better future than the present in order to derive any utility beyond the moment in question, and to get through transitory misery.

    Besides, my curiosity concerning the future is boundless
    But why associate the loss of hope with hopelessness? People don't seem too bothered about thinking about whether they will wake up in the morning or not, they just expect to and yet extremely few people (Buddhists included, which is odd in my book) seem to have the same level of nonchalance about death. Like it's different or something.

    Unconscious is unconscious. In neither form do you have control over whether you wake up so what's the big issue? I can only conclude it's due to being told it's a big bad scary boogerman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I am glad many people believe in afterlife. I don't believe in afterlife myself, but I know plenty of people that would go rogue on society should they believe the same as me.

    It's good that some people believe they will be judged at the end of their life.
    Hmm.. don't you find it concerning that people only behave because they'll be smote if they don't? I mean you've got to have a pretty nasty side to require eternal damnation to keep you in check no?
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I actually think such people are generally balanced out by those who would utilize religion (however sincerely) to bring pain upon others. My general support for the existence of religion, despite my agnosticism, has more to do with the subjective utility of individuals rather than the direct impact of religious beliefs on society.
    I personally find faith a wonderful thing but religion an organisation worthy of purging from our society for it's habitually abusive behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stariana View Post
    I think that the belief of an afterlife is based on the belief that everything is continuous: there was no beginning, and there is no end. The universe goes on and on. That the soul cannot die. Etc. I believe that a soul can be killed, but it doesn't necessarily die with the body. The body is just a shell for the soul.

    I don't think I'm wrong on this, but then who DOES think they're wrong about their beliefs? The most you can hope for is someone who is big enough to allow for the possibility that they COULD be wrong. In my years of contact with Christians (Southern Baptist, the worst kind of Baptist), who believed nothing but what the Bible says and allowed no room for anything else, I was completely blown away when my (Christian) therapist said, "...that's what I believe. But hey, I could be wrong."

    It doesn't really matter what you believe in, just as long as you believe in something. Allow for the possibility of being wrong. I have no problem with anyone's beliefs under two conditions: you don't go around shoving it down people's throats and it doesn't harm someone. If it does either, expect to be fought.
    Exactly.

    Believe in an after life if you wish, personally I really do hope to see my mother again, but don't have it define your existance to the point where you become irrational defending your belief to deny the fear of "what if I'm wrong?!?!?!".

    Well said.

    My point basically was to wonder why people worry about the end for the duration of the journey. It's like living death with some people. To my mind the end cannot come quickly enough for them. At least that way they won't have to worry about it all the time.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #113
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I actually think such people are generally balanced out by those who would utilize religion (however sincerely) to bring pain upon others. My general support for the existence of religion, despite my agnosticism, has more to do with the subjective utility of individuals rather than the direct impact of religious beliefs on society.
    Yeah, there's that too. Hard to say it balances out though. The type that utilizes religion to do harm are easily spotted. The type that uses religion to keep themselves in check might not be so easily spotted.

    Hmm.. don't you find it concerning that people only behave because they'll be smote if they don't? I mean you've got to have a pretty nasty side to require eternal damnation to keep you in check no?
    People can have all kinds of reasons for doing the things they do. Which reasons are right and wrong are just subjective interpretations. Wether you believe you need to be good to stave of eternal damnation, or because your parents taught you, because you find it the best way to get positive feedback or you just believe in it just because. It doesn't really matter much to me how people think about such things. The only thing that should ever be judged is the acts people do. Not the thoughts they have.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  4. #114
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    People can have all kinds of reasons for doing the things they do. Which reasons are right and wrong are just subjective interpretations. Wether you believe you need to be good to stave of eternal damnation, or because your parents taught you, because you find it the best way to get positive feedback or you just believe in it just because. It doesn't really matter much to me how people think about such things. The only thing that should ever be judged is the acts people do. Not the thoughts they have.
    To not care about the why is to disregard the circumstance and remove all moderation from rule and law. Are you sure you don't care about motivation?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  5. #115
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I've always thought the same thing, when you're dead you're dead. It stops. Nothing happens. A total absence of you. You're not there, you're dead.

    What's the problem with that?
    The only problem I see are the low odds of it being true. Like any other religious belief. At least, the ones that actually say something tangible about the world.

    Why people usually have a problem with death? Survival instinct, I guess. Not just for themselves, but other people, and the ideals and goals they are striving for. It's like hedonism, essentially; That life is good, and it's bad when good things end.

    It's like playing an awesome computer game, with an unknown time limit. Man that would piss me off.

  6. #116
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    The only problem I see are the low odds of it being true. Like any other religious belief. At least, the ones that actually say something tangible about the world.

    Why people usually have a problem with death? Survival instinct, I guess. Not just for themselves, but other people, and the ideals and goals they are striving for. It's like hedonism, essentially; That life is good, and it's bad when good things end.

    It's like playing an awesome computer game, with an unknown time limit. Man that would piss me off.
    You never finished a book and thought "that sucks.. I want more!!!".

    The survival instinct is one thing but to let that put life on hold whilst you worry about it? That's just self defeating!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #117
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    To not care about the why is to disregard the circumstance and remove all moderation from rule and law. Are you sure you don't care about motivation?
    I'm not overly concerned about motivation, as long as the means and the ends are clear to me. I don't see it my task to turn everyone around me in Fluffywolf bots. :P

    But you're right that it's bad to remove all moderation from rule and law.

    Someone with shaky reasoning that does good is no problem. Someone with shaky reason that does bad needs to be moderated.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  8. #118
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I'm not overly concerned about motivation, as long as the means and the ends are clear to me. I don't see it my task to turn everyone around me in Fluffywolf bots. :P

    But you're right that it's bad to remove all moderation from rule and law.

    Someone with shaky reasoning that does good is no problem. Someone with shaky reason that does bad needs to be moderated.
    Supporting the individual is the whole idea... it's just this definition thing. I wouldn't have a problem if it weren't so widespread and accepted. I'd just like to make an impact sometimes and actually get people to think free from the constraints laid out by history and what that really clever guy over there said.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  9. #119
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    we are just living continuations of scientific Adam and Eve, I don't think humans have experienced true death, extinction.

  10. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Supporting the individual is the whole idea... it's just this definition thing. I wouldn't have a problem if it weren't so widespread and accepted. I'd just like to make an impact sometimes and actually get people to think free from the constraints laid out by history and what that really clever guy over there said.
    But then you would just be the really clever guy over here who said something people believed. Truth is, none of it is provable so people are just going to go with what works for them.

Similar Threads

  1. IMMIGRATION: What's the Problem?
    By Cloudpatrol in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 11-20-2016, 12:31 PM
  2. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
  3. Of death and children and American culture... What's the reason?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM
  4. What if carbon isn't The Problem?
    By Lateralus in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 06:50 AM
  5. What is the craziest bit of technology you have read about in SF?
    By macjoven in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO