• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music + Spirituality

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the first classes I took in college as a freshman was a writing seminar called Music and Spiritual Experience and this thread reminded me of that, lol.

Music played a huge role in my coming to Christianity. I used to sing in my (Christian) school's choir as I kid. I wasn't any good but I loved it and always felt that the songs lifted me to a higher plane.

The church I go to now has arguably one of the best Episcopalian choirs in the US but more than that, the congregation is really into the music. Everyone sings enthusiastically and it makes a huge difference. The Eucharistic prayers are often sung rather than said as well and it gives me chills every time.

I also love traditional Christmas carols. This one is my favorite this year.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also love traditional Christmas carols. This one is my favorite this year.

Interesting example. Performed this way, it is definitely very traditional and "high church". My first exposure to this song, though, was at the church where I played in Florida. We started with a slow introduction on an Irish low whistle, then continued with mountain dulcimer, drums, and banjo, all very rhythmic and unrefined. It sounded like it could have been an old Appalachian folk song. I had to look it up in the hymnal to see it real medleval origin. I enjoy songs that can be just as interesting and enjoyable when played in very different styles.

In looking for alternative versions, I found this one. Not exactly what we did (ours was slower and kept a consistent tempo), but closer than the traditional organ/choir arrangement.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting example. Performed this way, it is definitely very traditional and "high church". My first exposure to this song, though, was at the church where I played in Florida. We started with a slow introduction on an Irish low whistle, then continued with mountain dulcimer, drums, and banjo, all very rhythmic and unrefined. It sounded like it could have been an old Appalachian folk song. I had to look it up in the hymnal to see it real medleval origin. I enjoy songs that can be just as interesting and enjoyable when played in very different styles.

In looking for alternative versions, I found this one. Not exactly what we did (ours was slower and kept a consistent tempo), but closer than the traditional organ/choir arrangement.

Wow, I love this.

Mole

Permabanned
I think traditional spiritual music represses the senses, particularly the proprioceptive sense, and this is what the authoritarian personality wants.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think traditional spiritual music represses the senses, particularly the proprioceptive sense, and this is what the authoritarian personality wants.
Which tradition?

Mole

Permabanned
The literate tradition.

And the. book is dead, the God of the book is dead, and traditional spiritual music is dead.

And the authoritarians dread the awakening of the proprioceptive sense.

Almost all, if not alll, churches, synagogs, mosques, and temples forbid the expresision of the proprioceptive sense.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The literate tradition.

And the. book is dead, the God of the book is dead, and traditional spiritual music is dead.

And the authoritarians dread the awakening of the proprioceptive sense.

Almost all, if not alll, churches, synagogs, mosques, and temples forbid the expresision of the proprioceptive sense.

Oh no, did they go to heaven?