• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unforgivable Sins

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, having carried many resentments in my life, you'd be surprised how much you can forgive when you get tired of feeling hateful and letting it affect the way you feel, think and believe.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Actually, having carried many resentments in my life, you'd be surprised how much you can forgive when you get tired of feeling hateful and letting it affect the way you feel, think and believe.

I agree.
Resentment is powerful and can literally make you sick and ugly.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
That's been my experience, Bella. And we see those unforgiving people all around us. They may be the ones doing the raping and causing problems for others because they have to get rid of that sense of lack of control and rage that holding resentment breeds.

As long as I carry a resentment somebody else is runnin' my show.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
But this idea of deciding who and what gets forgiven is foreign to me. If I am not the one hurt I don't know how I can decide what's forgivable and what isn't.

It feels like playing God to me. It's really a personal matter.

Mole

Permabanned
What strikes me most about the answers is that they are personal. They are based on what you think and feel personally.

It's almost as though all civilizations throughout history have not asked the same question.

It's almost as if the only way to answer the question is to check your personal experience.

This would suggest we live in a narcissistic society or merely a society where everyone is an individual. But if everyone is an individual - no one is an individual.

It strikes me as most peculiar particularly as almost everyone does it. It is as though it is the right thing to do - the moral thing to do.

This is borne out by the those who police individualism. We are told not to generalise, not to speak for other people; we are told to express our feelings.

The whole thing feels claustrophobic to me. We are all crowded onto the same small space.

Why is this, I don't know.

Perhaps we are just a society of individual consumers. Perhaps narcissism is a form of enforced conformity.

I mean people want to be good and the way to be good in our late modern society is to be a good, narcissistic consumer. And make sure everyone else is. And keep a sharp eye out for deviants; and an even sharper tongue.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
But this idea of deciding who and what gets forgiven is foreign to me. If I am not the one hurt I don't know how I can decide what's forgivable and what isn't.

Uh-huh, it all really is too complicated to do anything more than talk and even then you should only talk about what you know.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ

And yet it's exactly what a judge and jury do.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I hear you, Victor. And I had similar thoughts while reading. As part of the human race and someone who desires and expects good outcomes with good intentions it's a fine line where individuality ends and society begins.

I did like what you said about the only sin being despair. Earlier today when I first saw this thread it was my first thought.

I suppose a lack of faith in the force for good and growth. Because that means decay and decline without renewal in my "bible." I think the first I read of it was in The Bible. The sin against the Holy Spirit. . .

But, dang, Guy. Your posts are always so packed full of ideas that I never know where to start with addressing them.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I haven't any trouble looking at a situation and having an opinion on it. I'm not the type of person to just wash my hands of a situation.. even if it isn't my own.

I don't think forgiveness is more for the person forgiving though. While it can definitely help, and it does, if I do wrong by someone.. I do seek that forgiveness. Like I have a weight on my heart and do my best to receive those graces from that person. It will weigh on my mind otherwise.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
There is no right and wrong, no definite. The only definite is that people who believe there is sin are wrong, sin is an illusion.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'll take that under advisement, Lucifer.

Now please get thee behind me? Heh.