User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Exactly, Anja.

MBTI
    INFP

Actually, having carried many resentments in my life, you'd be surprised how much you can forgive when you get tired of feeling hateful and letting it affect the way you feel, think and believe.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Hey, disregard.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Actually, having carried many resentments in my life, you'd be surprised how much you can forgive when you get tired of feeling hateful and letting it affect the way you feel, think and believe.
    I agree.
    Resentment is powerful and can literally make you sick and ugly.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INFP

That's been my experience, Bella. And we see those unforgiving people all around us. They may be the ones doing the raping and causing problems for others because they have to get rid of that sense of lack of control and rage that holding resentment breeds.

As long as I carry a resentment somebody else is runnin' my show.

MBTI
    INFP

But this idea of deciding who and what gets forgiven is foreign to me. If I am not the one hurt I don't know how I can decide what's forgivable and what isn't.

It feels like playing God to me. It's really a personal matter.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I agree.
    Resentment is powerful and can literally make you sick and ugly.
    * Hydes *
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

What strikes me most about the answers is that they are personal. They are based on what you think and feel personally.

It's almost as though all civilizations throughout history have not asked the same question.

It's almost as if the only way to answer the question is to check your personal experience.

This would suggest we live in a narcissistic society or merely a society where everyone is an individual. But if everyone is an individual - no one is an individual.

It strikes me as most peculiar particularly as almost everyone does it. It is as though it is the right thing to do - the moral thing to do.

This is borne out by the those who police individualism. We are told not to generalise, not to speak for other people; we are told to express our feelings.

The whole thing feels claustrophobic to me. We are all crowded onto the same small space.

Why is this, I don't know.

Perhaps we are just a society of individual consumers. Perhaps narcissism is a form of enforced conformity.

I mean people want to be good and the way to be good in our late modern society is to be a good, narcissistic consumer. And make sure everyone else is. And keep a sharp eye out for deviants; and an even sharper tongue.

MBTI
    INFP

Jeckylls!

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    But this idea of deciding who and what gets forgiven is foreign to me. If I am not the one hurt I don't know how I can decide what's forgivable and what isn't.

It feels like playing God to me. It's really a personal matter.
    Uh-huh, it all really is too complicated to do anything more than talk and even then you should only talk about what you know.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...