• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is it good that God exists?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is continuation from another thread.

Everybody are asking "Does god exist?" because that is the simplest question. But almost no one ask "What will we get If God exists? Why is that good for us?"

This does not mean that God does not exists but shows that there is nothing important about it.

What is actally much harder hit for religion then probability that God maybe doesn't exist.

Is there any ideas about this?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think the answer is obvious:

If a Christian or Muslim or whatever God does in fact exist... we get to have eternal bliss in the afterlife if we follow said religion correctly.

That's a lot cooler than simply turning into a hollow compost of a body when we die.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
brandy_talore_01.jpg

Didums

I think the answer is obvious:

If a Christian or Muslim or whatever God does in fact exist... we get to have eternal bliss in the afterlife if we follow said religion correctly.

That's a lot cooler than simply turning into a hollow compost of a body when we die.

Yep, and the implications of an eternal afterlife are much more terrifying than the closure that death brings.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Based on my beliefs, this is an easy question. I've mention earlier my whole "The one being reveals himself to all in different aspects to balance the world" belief.. So for me, this question is a bit easier believing what I do. The simple answer is, because the world needs the variety.

God doesn't exist for all, because God does not reveal himself to all because we need those atheists and their ways of thinking. Just as we need those who are devoted to their teachings and never steer from them, and just as we need those who believe but fail to practice.

Religion is a HUGE factor in those whom believe and follow it, and it influences those who differ from it. It's a very large root in this world's tree of culture and humanity. For one person to not have God in their lives, there is no problem. For humanity to not have any God at all, the thought process, beliefs, values, etc. of humankind would diminish and chaos would ensue because there would not be enough variety to balance everyone out.

These are my beliefs, so my answer can only be a personal one.. but I have a feeling anyone else's answers will also be personal.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yep, and the implications of an eternal afterlife are much more terrifying than the closure that death brings.

Even an afterlife of happiness and bliss? Most people aren't comfortable with just "ending" and ceasing to "be", their ego won't let them.

Based on my beliefs, this is an easy question. I've mention earlier my whole "The one being reveals himself to all in different aspects to balance the world" belief.. So for me, this question is a bit easier believing what I do. The simple answer is, because the world needs the variety.

God doesn't exist for all, because God does not reveal himself to all because we need those atheists and their ways of thinking. Just as we need those who are devoted to their teachings and never steer from them, and just as we need those who believe but fail to practice.

Religion is a HUGE factor in those whom believe and follow it, and it influences those who differ from it. It's a very large root in this world's tree of culture and humanity. For one person to not have God in their lives, there is no problem. For humanity to not have any God at all, the thought process, beliefs, values, etc. of humankind would diminish and chaos would ensue because there would not be enough variety to balance everyone out.

These are my beliefs, so my answer can only be a personal one.. but I have a feeling anyone else's answers will also be personal.

So this is what growing up in Texas will do to someone...jk

Didums

Even an afterlife of happiness and bliss? Most people aren't comfortable with just "ending" and ceasing to "be", their ego won't let them.

Yup, even an afterlife of happiness and bliss. How would it be any different from Hell? Both are eternal, the only 'difference' is the Emotion/feeling/senses involved, Hell would feel bad, Heaven would feel good, but after maybe a billion 'years' in either, would one really care anymore?

Most people are only scared of death because its something that we can't possible understand, so we try to relate it with life, an extension of life. We can't imagine non-existence (as a consciousness) because we are a conscious entity, we can try but theres no guaruntee that its going to be accurate, most people just imagine 'blackness', which seems worse than hell to some people.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yup, even an afterlife of happiness and bliss. How would it be any different from Hell? Both are eternal, the only 'difference' is the Emotion/feeling/senses involved.

That's a big difference. Burning in a lake of fire versus happiness. If you are by definition "happy" for all of eternity... even after a billion years, you would still be happy and content.

The idea of eternal consciousness is someone that seems horrible to me personally. But mine and your opinions on this matter could very well change once we actually got up their to heaven.

Didums

That's a big difference. Burning in a lake of fire versus happiness. If you are by definition "happy" for all of eternity... even after a billion years, you would still be happy and content.

The idea of eternal consciousness is someone that seems horrible to me personally. But mine and your opinions on this matter could very well change once we actually got up their to heaven.

Something that is unchanging has nothing to distinguish itself from anything else. A constant state of Pain is no different than a constant state of Joy because you don't know the difference between the two.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

But if person can be fully happy for billion of billions years would not that mean that it no longer has a free will?

It is enough that 0.1% of people that end up in heaven become unhappy that entire "deal" actally sucks.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
A constant state of Pain is no different than a constant state of Joy because you don't know the difference between the two.

Of course we do. According to Christianity, what we perceive as pain/pleasure here on earth is the same as we will perceive it heaven.

How does the pain/pleasure being constant equate to us not knowing the difference between the two?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If a God exists in reality, I guess the followers of the various religions are going to burn in hell, cause most of the time they are just bad people clinging on to a moral code. The people who really deserve to be in heaven don't need that crap.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
See you all are focused so much on the afterlife. Granted, that's the goal of people who do follow religion, but we're steering away from the OP: Why is it important that God exists? Not so much WHY he's good, but how his existance is an asset to humanity.

Even if people come up short in their beliefs, that pillar of absolute righteousness can be the thing that makes unaligned, chaotic people steer toward decisions that lead to a better quality of life.

Edit: I changed Fact to OP. >.o dunno why I typed fact.

Didums

Of course we do. According to Christianity, what we perceive as pain/pleasure here on earth is the same as we will perceive it heaven.

How does the pain/pleasure being constant equate to us not knowing the difference between the two?

Okay, we are changing from one state to another, Alive on earth -> Ghosty in heaven. After the change we are now in an unchanging state, a constant state of bliss/joy/goodness. It is said that our worldly experiences are transfered over to heaven through our soul, so that would mean that we would know the experience of pain if we were in heaven. Problem is that we would be in a matter-less state in heaven, so the experiences on earth that required matter to occur Couldn't transfer over, a soul makes no sense. Because our experiences couldn't transfer over, we'd have to make new experiences that are matter-less, and only knowing the one constant matter-less experience we could not distinguish it between anything else.

I hope that made sense.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
..........a soul makes no sense. I hope that made a little sense.

That's the beauty of religions, they don't have to make sense. Logic, science, sense... all of this bounces off the shield of religion.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
See you all are focused so much on the afterlife. Granted, that's the goal of people who do follow religion, but we're steering away from the OP: Why is it important that God exists? Not so much WHY he's good, but how his existance is an asset to humanity.

Even if people come up short in their beliefs, that pillar of absolute righteousness can be the thing that makes unaligned, chaotic people steer toward decisions that lead to a better quality of life.

So, they are not reliable so we will just brainwash them?

That's the beauty of religions, they don't have to make sense. Logic, science, sense... all of this bounces off the shield of religion.

From perspective of pure logic, does that mean that is totally logical to work on moving it away from people?