• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is it good that God exists?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
God is great
God is good
Let us thank him for our food

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You eat killer whale?

It's better to eat than be eaten.

You should try it: Put on that seal costume as camouflage, so you can sneak up on 'em -- I guarantee it to be interesting!

... then pray. <-- tie-back to thread topic.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There are so many replies that I will not quote anything.

I am watching many replies and they look illogical to me.

As it was said there is no logical reason too torture people in hell and there is also no reason to think that there will not be torture in heaven.

For example what will you do if your child ends up in hell? Do you honestly think that you could live happily for the rest of eternity knowing what happened?

Would you be miserable and wonder where did you make a mistake in upbringing of the person you love so much?

With billions of years you will probably forgive yourself and recover from this but that would be amoral to some degree.

Also how can you be tortured if you don't have a body?
Which is still on Earth .

Also all this fire and brimstone thing would mean that hell has chemical composition. What creates many old problems such as determinism or how would your soul that is made of pure energy interact with those chemicals.

Also what is wrong with the brimstone?
I have one in my closet. (It is a geology student thing).

On the long run you will have nothing to do in heaven you will probably be quite bored with time and there will be nothing to do after so much time.

In hell you will at least have hope that one day the entire thing will end because of some unknown reason. But in the end both options will take you in the same direction.
While in heaven you can only wait and it would be insane that you wish to go to hell for some time just because you are bored. But visiting family members could actually be good for your mental health. (Or it would be total disaster)
That is because you would never fully forget what happened to your family.

Also there should not be universe that is infinite and homogeneous on the big scale.
(Right now it looks like it is like that)
Because that would mean that there are infinite number of planets on which humans live and that would mean that every second there are infinite number of people that are going to heaven or hell. What can create many problems.
One of them is that you would share eternity with infinite number of people that are identical to you in every way. Since you have infinite amount of time you will run into many of them. What could create a lot of anxiety and you will never again be sure that you hang out with you actual family and friends.

Also there is always a factor that everything said about hell is not true because people are victims of propaganda. You actually can’t say anything about hell until you get there.

And there is that old problem that there is no logical reason for the Devil too torture people since they are made just as he wants them to be. Plus they could be a great ally in the final battle. What again creates problem because there can’t be any battles since no one can die.
In the case that they die (again and this time for real) and that would destroy the entire deal.

There is one more problem.
As I have said in another thread, all of us were dead once before (before we were born).
But that creates question “Where was our soul before we were born?”
The only explanation is that god created them.
What in the end means that God is creating material that ends up in hell.
That means that God is illogical or evil.

This is not only philosophical problem but practical problem also.
The God can be the anything he/she/it wants but the question is do you really need that kind of a creature in your life?

There is one more thing if god created that souls what means he/she/it can change them.
If prison psychologist can change people I truly don’t see why God would not be up to the task. What removes the need for hell totally.
What is again the problem if you use common sense because that means that there is no sin.
The only real solution to the problem would be that in heaven they take away from you
every thing that makes you human. Because that is the only way that people could survive for so long. Since this means taking away emotions that many people like so much that would not be heaven in which they want to go.

The point is: Do you really want to believe in something what is, illogical, useless to average person and does not look too probable from current perspective?

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The point is: Do you really want to believe in something what is, illogical, useless to average person and does not look too probable from current perspective?

The only thing you mentioned that's applicable to this conversation (concerning why the hypothetical existence of "God" would be a good thing) is the contention that such a belief is useless to the average person. Several people have provided reasons in which the belief in "God" satiates specific emotional and psychological wants, to the utilitarian benefit of believers. If you disagree that the "average person" either possesses such wants or is able to satiate them through some sort of spirituality, that's fine, but I would advise you that the "average person" also derives great pleasure from food and sex, so your assumptions about the wants of other people may not be very accurate.

Last edited:
S

Sniffles

There are so many replies that I will not quote anything.

I am watching many replies and they look illogical to me.

As it was said there is no logical reason too torture people in hell and there is also no reason to think that there will not be torture in heaven.

For example what will you do if your child ends up in hell? Do you honestly think that you could live happily for the rest of eternity knowing what happened?

Would you be miserable and wonder where did you make a mistake in upbringing of the person you love so much?

With billions of years you will probably forgive yourself and recover from this but that would be amoral to some degree.

Also how can you be tortured if you don't have a body?
Which is still on Earth .

Also all this fire and brimstone thing would mean that hell has chemical composition. What creates many old problems such as determinism or how would your soul that is made of pure energy interact with those chemicals.

Also what is wrong with the brimstone?
I have one in my closet. (It is a geology student thing).

On the long run you will have nothing to do in heaven you will probably be quite bored with time and there will be nothing to do after so much time.

In hell you will at least have hope that one day the entire thing will end because of some unknown reason. But in the end both options will take you in the same direction.
While in heaven you can only wait and it would be insane that you wish to go to hell for some time just because you are bored. But visiting family members could actually be good for your mental health. (Or it would be total disaster)
That is because you would never fully forget what happened to your family.

Also there should not be universe that is infinite and homogeneous on the big scale.
(Right now it looks like it is like that)
Because that would mean that there are infinite number of planets on which humans live and that would mean that every second there are infinite number of people that are going to heaven or hell. What can create many problems.
One of them is that you would share eternity with infinite number of people that are identical to you in every way. Since you have infinite amount of time you will run into many of them. What could create a lot of anxiety and you will never again be sure that you hang out with you actual family and friends.

Also there is always a factor that everything said about hell is not true because people are victims of propaganda. You actually can’t say anything about hell until you get there.

And there is that old problem that there is no logical reason for the Devil too torture people since they are made just as he wants them to be. Plus they could be a great ally in the final battle. What again creates problem because there can’t be any battles since no one can die.
In the case that they die (again and this time for real) and that would destroy the entire deal.

There is one more problem.
As I have said in another thread, all of us were dead once before (before we were born).
But that creates question “Where was our soul before we were born?”
The only explanation is that god created them.
What in the end means that God is creating material that ends up in hell.
That means that God is illogical or evil.

This is not only philosophical problem but practical problem also.
The God can be the anything he/she/it wants but the question is do you really need that kind of a creature in your life?

There is one more thing if god created that souls what means he/she/it can change them.
If prison psychologist can change people I truly don’t see why God would not be up to the task. What removes the need for hell totally.
What is again the problem if you use common sense because that means that there is no sin.
The only real solution to the problem would be that in heaven they take away from you
every thing that makes you human. Because that is the only way that people could survive for so long. Since this means taking away emotions that many people like so much that would not be heaven in which they want to go.

Ladies and gentlemen, another fine post brought to you by the makers of Focus Factor. Our guarantee is that our product will make you so logical, you won't make any damn sense. Order your free sample today. Supplies are limited.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The only thing you mentioned that's applicable to this conversation (concerning why the hypothetical existence of "God" would be a good thing) is the contention that such a belief is useless to the average person. Several people have provided reasons in which the belief in "God" satiates specific emotional and psychological wants, to the utilitarian benefit of believers. If you disagree that the "average person" either possesses such wants or is able to satiate them through some sort of spirituality, that's fine, but I would advise you that the "average person" also derives great pleasure from food and sex, so your assumptions about the wants of other people may not be very accurate.

My point about "useless to average person" was that they can believe how much they want but that does not mean that entire thing would actuall be good for them on the long run. So I have said useless because there is nothing to really gain from it if it is actually true.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
why is it that God exists???
hahahahaha

wow

open up an anthropology book
talks all about it

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
Define 'God'. Define 'exist'. Christianity says 'God' is 'Love' (Compassion). does Love exist? Is Compassion a person? There's a lot of mental chicanery to interpret one thing as another here. I believe that Christianity and Buddhism tell us that what the ancients were taught to think of as some all-powerful external Being, we should understand to be our common humanity and deepest experience of what all material forms merely express.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ok seriously, its been fun, but we're up to 8 pages, its time to stop.

God doesn't exist.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's good that God exists (even though, to me, he doesn't exist) because it offers people a "higher purpose" and a hope for an afterlife, and helps to generate community. So basically, God is like McDonalds.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
lol mcdonalds is lucifer >=0

idk
i believe in God

but i dont believe in religion or the bible or all of that bullshit

i got own beliefs.. >=0

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Agnostic = belief in a higher being without subscribing to a belief, or not knowing what belief you believe in.