User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Yup, even an afterlife of happiness and bliss. How would it be any different from Hell? Both are eternal, the only 'difference' is the Emotion/feeling/senses involved.
    That's a big difference. Burning in a lake of fire versus happiness. If you are by definition "happy" for all of eternity... even after a billion years, you would still be happy and content.

The idea of eternal consciousness is someone that seems horrible to me personally. But mine and your opinions on this matter could very well change once we actually got up their to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    That's a big difference. Burning in a lake of fire versus happiness. If you are by definition "happy" for all of eternity... even after a billion years, you would still be happy and content.

The idea of eternal consciousness is someone that seems horrible to me personally. But mine and your opinions on this matter could very well change once we actually got up their to heaven.
    Something that is unchanging has nothing to distinguish itself from anything else. A constant state of Pain is no different than a constant state of Joy because you don't know the difference between the two.

But if person can be fully happy for billion of billions years would not that mean that it no longer has a free will?

It is enough that 0.1% of people that end up in heaven become unhappy that entire "deal" actally sucks.

MBTI
    INTP

A constant state of Pain is no different than a constant state of Joy because you don't know the difference between the two.
    Of course we do. According to Christianity, what we perceive as pain/pleasure here on earth is the same as we will perceive it heaven.

How does the pain/pleasure being constant equate to us not knowing the difference between the two?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

If a God exists in reality, I guess the followers of the various religions are going to burn in hell, cause most of the time they are just bad people clinging on to a moral code. The people who really deserve to be in heaven don't need that crap.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So this is what growing up in Texas will do to someone...jk
    I warned you about those cowbow-hat-wearing sunaguns...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

See you all are focused so much on the afterlife. Granted, that's the goal of people who do follow religion, but we're steering away from the OP: Why is it important that God exists? Not so much WHY he's good, but how his existance is an asset to humanity.

Even if people come up short in their beliefs, that pillar of absolute righteousness can be the thing that makes unaligned, chaotic people steer toward decisions that lead to a better quality of life.

Edit: I changed Fact to OP. >.o dunno why I typed fact.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Of course we do. According to Christianity, what we perceive as pain/pleasure here on earth is the same as we will perceive it heaven.

How does the pain/pleasure being constant equate to us not knowing the difference between the two?
    Okay, we are changing from one state to another, Alive on earth -> Ghosty in heaven. After the change we are now in an unchanging state, a constant state of bliss/joy/goodness. It is said that our worldly experiences are transfered over to heaven through our soul, so that would mean that we would know the experience of pain if we were in heaven. Problem is that we would be in a matter-less state in heaven, so the experiences on earth that required matter to occur Couldn't transfer over, a soul makes no sense. Because our experiences couldn't transfer over, we'd have to make new experiences that are matter-less, and only knowing the one constant matter-less experience we could not distinguish it between anything else.

I hope that made sense.

MBTI
    INTP

..........a soul makes no sense. I hope that made a little sense.
    That's the beauty of religions, they don't have to make sense. Logic, science, sense... all of this bounces off the shield of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    See you all are focused so much on the afterlife. Granted, that's the goal of people who do follow religion, but we're steering away from the OP: Why is it important that God exists? Not so much WHY he's good, but how his existance is an asset to humanity.

Even if people come up short in their beliefs, that pillar of absolute righteousness can be the thing that makes unaligned, chaotic people steer toward decisions that lead to a better quality of life.
    So, they are not reliable so we will just brainwash them?

That's the beauty of religions, they don't have to make sense. Logic, science, sense... all of this bounces off the shield of religion.
    From perspective of pure logic, does that mean that is totally logical to work on moving it away from people?