• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Atheists more likely to believe in superstitions

S

Sniffles

I'm going to paraphrase a quote I read a while ago from some Pope:

"With faith, one need not think"

Do you remember what Pope stated that? Because such a statement would contradict basic Catholic theology. In fact the basic complaint of both Protestants and Orthodox Christians is that Catholicism is too rationalistic.

There a really informative book on the subject, called: The Fall Of Reason. (I think that's what it's called)

I think I know what book you're talking about. Funny cause there's a book called The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success by Rodney Starks

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Do you remember what Pope stated that? Because such a statement would contradict basic Catholic theology. In fact the basic complaint of both Protestants and Orthodox Christians is that Catholicism is too rationalistic.

No, I just know that it's a fairly old quote, not from a recent pope.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This wouldn't strike me as terribly odd, since Christianity tends to chase out any belief that it feels does not match with it's own. So, once Christianity steps in, all of that other flakey crap has to step out.

This doesn't tell us anything about scientific literacy, though.

redacted

Could you put it like this: Supernatural pertains to that which is not of the physical world while superstition too pertains to that which is not of the physical world but with fear added to it.

How is religion not based on fear?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ

You're using 'religion' where I used 'supernatural'. I don't think they're the same, I would say religion is the unfortunate mess humans made of the supernatural.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
No, real atheists/rationalists are not superstitious at all.

What I think that is happening in scenario you have mentioned is that people are changing one phantasy for another.
To tell you the truth I think that those two have same or similar source.

Really rational people are not superstitious because they don't need it and entire thing does not have too much sense.
(religion or supersticion)

I think of myself as an atheist, rationalist and future scientist and I can tell you that I am against superstition far more then against religion.
And I am far from supportive when it comes to religion.

For example I will start a thread "Why astrology suck" soon.

I think that your theory is not correct.

redacted

You're using 'religion' where I used 'supernatural'. I don't think they're the same, I would say religion is the unfortunate mess humans made of the supernatural.

Okay, separate question -- how is believing in God not based on fear?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Am I gonna get in trouble with moderator again? I'm not answering before he answers.

redacted

We are in the philosophy forum. You can answer whatever you want.

The only reason the mod didn't like your posts is that you didn't list any reasoning.

MBTI Type
INTJ

This is a question that can never be resolved in a debate between an atheist and a believer. The reason is that they are starting from different points.

The atheist starts from the given that God does not exist. Therefore, any belief in God is misguided on its face and needs supplementary motivation. Fear would probably be the number one reason for religion from this point of view, with a sense of belonging being another strong one.

The believer starts from the given that God does in fact exist, and so belief needs no supplementary motivation. Belief is a simple acknowledgement of the truth. It's the same as asking someone to explain the basis for their belief that grass is green. It's a nonstarter.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Okay then.
To your question:" How is believing in God, not based on fear"

I don't really know how to answer you. In my life God has represented the opposite of fear.
People insist on going down the "How can a loving God......" road, which in turn, I suppose, makes them believe in God out of fear.

redacted

This is a question that can never be resolved in a debate between an atheist and a believer. The reason is that they are starting from different points.

The atheist starts from the given that God does not exist. Therefore, any belief in God is misguided on its face and needs supplementary motivation. Fear would probably be the number one reason for religion from this point of view, with a sense of belonging being another strong one.

The believer starts from the given that God does in fact exist, and so belief needs no supplementary motivation. Belief is a simple acknowledgement of the truth. It's the same as asking someone to explain the basis for their belief that grass is green. It's a nonstarter.

Not if I admit that I'm an atheist out of fear too.

Edit: I fear the consequences of not having an intricately well thought out belief system in every aspect of my life. The power of denial scares the shit of out me, and I try as hard as I can to fight anything that I would consider denial, including belief in anything supernatural.

But I guess you're right, the believer would call atheism denial...

Meh, as long as you admit there's always at least one step of faith somewhere down the ladder, you're not lying.

Okay then.
To your question:" How is believing in God, not based on fear"

I don't really know how to answer you. In my life God has represented the opposite of fear.
People insist on going down the "How can a loving God......" road, which in turn, I suppose, makes them believe in God out of fear.

At the bolded statement -- doesn't that sort of prove my point? If God is the opposite of fear, then not believing in God is living in fear...

Everyone always chooses the easy way out, myself included.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
You have successfully confused the ISTJ.

All I know is, God has been good to me.

redacted

Right, because He represents a lack of fear. Which means you would be scared of not believing in Him. Which means you are held in your belief because of fear.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
No, it's not the lack of fear he represents, it's the things He has done.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yes, I'm not contradicting myself, I was answering you on why I say that He has been good to me. You say it's because He represents a lack of fear and I'm saying that yes, He does, but apart from that, it is the stuff He has done.
As in, it's not the lack of one thing only but it is also the active presence of something else.
Does that make any sense.

redacted

Yeah it makes sense.

You also pretty much admitted I'm right.

Listen, I tried to make myself believe in God. I really did. It just doesn't make any sense to me... It would be nice, though.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes, dissonance is technically correct. 'Tis the fear of nothingness, in this context.