User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 164

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    How is religion not based on fear?
    This is a question that can never be resolved in a debate between an atheist and a believer. The reason is that they are starting from different points.

    The atheist starts from the given that God does not exist. Therefore, any belief in God is misguided on its face and needs supplementary motivation. Fear would probably be the number one reason for religion from this point of view, with a sense of belonging being another strong one.

    The believer starts from the given that God does in fact exist, and so belief needs no supplementary motivation. Belief is a simple acknowledgement of the truth. It's the same as asking someone to explain the basis for their belief that grass is green. It's a nonstarter.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  2. #32
    Senior Member Bella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Okay then.
    To your question:" How is believing in God, not based on fear"

    I don't really know how to answer you. In my life God has represented the opposite of fear.
    People insist on going down the "How can a loving God......" road, which in turn, I suppose, makes them believe in God out of fear.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

    It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

  3. #33
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    This is a question that can never be resolved in a debate between an atheist and a believer. The reason is that they are starting from different points.

    The atheist starts from the given that God does not exist. Therefore, any belief in God is misguided on its face and needs supplementary motivation. Fear would probably be the number one reason for religion from this point of view, with a sense of belonging being another strong one.

    The believer starts from the given that God does in fact exist, and so belief needs no supplementary motivation. Belief is a simple acknowledgement of the truth. It's the same as asking someone to explain the basis for their belief that grass is green. It's a nonstarter.
    Not if I admit that I'm an atheist out of fear too.

    Edit: I fear the consequences of not having an intricately well thought out belief system in every aspect of my life. The power of denial scares the shit of out me, and I try as hard as I can to fight anything that I would consider denial, including belief in anything supernatural.

    But I guess you're right, the believer would call atheism denial...

    Meh, as long as you admit there's always at least one step of faith somewhere down the ladder, you're not lying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Okay then.
    To your question:" How is believing in God, not based on fear"

    I don't really know how to answer you. In my life God has represented the opposite of fear.
    People insist on going down the "How can a loving God......" road, which in turn, I suppose, makes them believe in God out of fear.
    At the bolded statement -- doesn't that sort of prove my point? If God is the opposite of fear, then not believing in God is living in fear...

    Everyone always chooses the easy way out, myself included.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Bella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    You have successfully confused the ISTJ.

    All I know is, God has been good to me.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

    It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

  5. #35
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Right, because He represents a lack of fear. Which means you would be scared of not believing in Him. Which means you are held in your belief because of fear.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Bella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    No, it's not the lack of fear he represents, it's the things He has done.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

    It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

  7. #37
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    No, it's not the lack of fear he represents, it's the things He has done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    In my life God has represented the opposite of fear.
    ?????????

  8. #38
    Senior Member Bella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Yes, I'm not contradicting myself, I was answering you on why I say that He has been good to me. You say it's because He represents a lack of fear and I'm saying that yes, He does, but apart from that, it is the stuff He has done.
    As in, it's not the lack of one thing only but it is also the active presence of something else.
    Does that make any sense.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

    It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

  9. #39
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Yeah it makes sense.

    You also pretty much admitted I'm right.

    Listen, I tried to make myself believe in God. I really did. It just doesn't make any sense to me... It would be nice, though.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Yes, dissonance is technically correct. 'Tis the fear of nothingness, in this context.

Similar Threads

  1. Which function more likely to land you in the Psych Ward: Ne or Ni?
    By mysavior in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
  2. sucky song=more likely to die in a game?
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 06:25 AM
  3. What type is most likely to fall in love?
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
  4. I need something to believe in
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO