Am I trolling?
    LOSING.

Losing big.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Not only do higher degrees correlate with superstition and pseudo-science, so does higher IQ. So... are we subtly saying the religious have shitty education and low IQs?

But seriously, this doesn't surprise me. Most people, religious or not, are just not very good at maintaining skepticism toward oogey boogey stuff. The other reason this isn't surprising is that religions, particularly the more strict/conservative the religion(just like the article said), is more likely to condemn all other superstitions as wrong, so of course loyal followers won't believe in all the stuff.

The main problem with the article is that it ignores the fact that prayer power, angels and demons, a God intervening to create miracles, and so on, are all superstition. The study didn't ask about those things, did it?

This entire lengthy thread, for all the effort on the part of the OPs defenders, never came up with a definition separating those things from superstition that was more than "because I say so", or perhaps more accurately, "because a religious authority said so".

EDIT: Oh yes, intelligent design is the epitome of pseudo-science, and they didn't ask about that either, but I'm pretty sure Christians are more likely to believe it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oh, by the way, note how it specifically points out that the more superstitious liberal denomination is Obama's, while the less superstitious one is Sarah Palin's. The Wall Street Journal is so predictable.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oh come on what a pile of crap. Maybe focus on why the religious people may not be into /other/ superstitions, or be willing to admit to it, or even consider it. More explanation there than in some vague, inconsiderate derivation straight from numbers into the conclusion that people who aren't superstitious about one thing are more likely to be superstitious about other things. I spit on the floor. Completely typical sensationalist journalism at the expense of the truth.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

But seriously, this doesn't surprise me. Most people, religious or not, are just not very good at maintaining skepticism toward oogey boogey stuff. The other reason this isn't surprising is that religions, particularly the more strict/conservative the religion(just like the article said), is more likely to condemn all other superstitions as wrong, so of course loyal followers won't believe in all the stuff.

The main problem with the article is that it ignores the fact that prayer power, angels and demons, a God intervening to create miracles, and so on, are all superstition. The study didn't ask about those things, did it?

This entire lengthy thread, for all the effort on the part of the OPs defenders, never came up with a definition separating those things from superstition that was more than "because I say so", or perhaps more accurately, "because a religious authority said so".

EDIT: Oh yes, intelligent design is the epitome of pseudo-science, and they didn't ask about that either, but I'm pretty sure Christians are more likely to believe it.
    Most religious people do not consider their superstitious beliefs to be superstitious, but rather "miraculous" or some other fancy adjective synonymous with (but pronounced differently than) the word "superstitious"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It's been my experience to see religious people more easily believe in things like ghosts and astrology and whatnot. Some atheists do as well, surely, but many atheists I've encountered reject the supernatural entirely.

In either case, God miraculously cures people of cancer, but he doesn't return amputated limbs. What gives?
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Eh, I know a segment of atheistic and/or agnostic populace that believes in things I consider silly nonsense (ghosts, charms and minor actions (knocking on wood) affecting outcomes, astrology, or even conspiracy theories such as Loose Change), but most of the ones I actually prefer to spend my time with think that stuff equally nonsensical (myself included). In fact, the types who reject the idea of God but accept all kinds of other stuff seemed even less sensible than just normal old religious people. They also seemed petty, like they were just acting out against certain ideas because they had some random notion that popular=bad.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Of course numerous other sociological studies have shown this connection between irreligion and superstitions.
    You replace one 'god' with another. Or multiple 'anothers'. Makes sense.

There's is a powerful innate drive to understand the world in easy to digest chunks and control scary uncontrollable outcomes.

True 'scientific atheists' do exist. But the militantly "rational show me proof" ones are probably rarer in America than in other countries where the grip of organized religion isn't so strong culturally or in government.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    You replace one 'god' with another. Or multiple 'anothers'. Makes sense.

There's is a powerful innate drive to understand the world in easy to digest chunks and control scary uncontrollable outcomes.

True 'scientific atheists' do exist. But the militantly "rational show me proof" ones are probably rarer in America than in other countries where the grip of organized religion isn't so strong culturally or in government.
    Religion hasnt been strong culturally or in government anywhere for a long, long time, not in the US that's for sure, a sort of pale comparison to historical religion or christendom is popular and its popular for a lot of reasons rooted in the stadium and tele-evangelical revolutions in the US, which is a media phenomenon and identity politics.

Capitalism is ascendent over all, religion is incompatable with capitalism, if they are co-existing fine then one or the other is phony.