User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 164

  1. #101
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Peguy:

    EPIC FAIL

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  2. #102
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  3. #103
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Since when did I become Jewish?

  4. #104
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Theoretically, isn't christianity just a schism of jewish religion? Being a jew is more a question of religion than actual ethnicity ever since the diaspora.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  5. #105
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Theoretically, isn't christianity just a schism of jewish religion?
    Hmmmn....well that's a complicated issue onto itself. Since much of what we consider Judaism today comes from the teachings of the Pharisees, wheras Christianity derived more from the Hellenic Judaic tradition/

    Being a jew is more a question of religion than actual ethnicity ever since the diaspora.
    I believe the rule still applies that one is Jewish only if their mother is Jewish.

  6. #106
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default



    ^ He looks more gaudy that he he looks godly.

    And the papacy and the Catholic church make me wanna go
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  7. #107
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I believe the rule still applies that one is Jewish only if their mother is Jewish.
    Believing is not knowing

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  8. #108
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Mozel tov!

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  9. #109
    Senior Member TheLastMohican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well well well.....so much for the argument that religion is only for savage idiots!
    Eh? This has nothing to do with anything, really. It's like saying that atheists are smarter because they are less likely than theists to believe in God.


  10. #110
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Your own source admits that Catholicism condemns superstition as a sin.
    exactly, its only possible to avoid condemning themselves under their own rules, because they treat their belief as FACT. Most people, when presented with the idea that:

    Quote Originally Posted by Didums
    "a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree..."
    they will naturally ask, "how this is any better than any other superstition?"

    using the definition that most people use (not the catholic one), religion is not excused from superstition. Please walk me through how religion is not a superstition? Im not sure that you can prove that unless you are going to prove a certain religion.

    Really? One major hallmark of Christian theology is the compatibility of reason and faith.

    Islam maybe closer in regards to its belief in Occasionalism - ie the belief that everything that happens is simply the will of God. But even many Islamic theologians argued for Occasionalism on the basis that because God is ultimately a rational being, everything that happens is in accordance with God's rational nature.
    no matter how much compartmentalized logic these religions claim, there is no more evidence than there is for my superstitious belief in an invisible Martian ice cream truck.

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleMartianIceCreamTruck
    "the invisible Martian Ice cream truck simply always has been! from him, is an infinite life force that we all arose from 20,000 years ago! How does he exist on Mars and yet promise his gift of eternal ice cream? well he's immaterial! How do we know he exists? Every human has an empty craving inside, an ice cream flavored desire! Ever wonder why any human, no matter how full, can always want more ice cream? In separation from the invisible Martian ice cream truck, no human can ever say he has truly had his fill! To break the cycle of having to eat every day, we must return to way of life our martian ice cream truck father desired! Only through ice cream binging can we truly ever feel the enlightened content, that all humans desire!"
    The above isn't wrong because it contains numerous contradictions. Its wrong because there's no evidence for it. I shouldnt have to disprove, if no one can prove, the Invisible Martian Ice Cream Truck.


    By your own admission, I have not made this argument - so in turn you're setting up a strawman. The Catholic definition is not really biased, and in fact it even cites pagan writers like Cicero - especially his statement "Superstition is the baseless fear of the gods, religion the pious worship."

    So obviously the distinction between superstition and religion exists outside Christianity, not to mention predates the beginning of Christianity - Cicero after all died in 43 BC.
    The catholic definition isn't biased? It automatically counts itself as a factual religion, just so it can avoid condemnation under, "Superstition is the baseless fear of the gods, religion the pious worship." If you can't prove catholicism, then isnt it really just the baseless fear of god?


    it states that religious beliefs are often likely to be labeled superstitious by "outsiders".
    What would ever prove that a supernatural belief wasnt superstitious? Im pretty sure it would have to be something that was an actually "true" supernatural happening.


    Peguy, this study is bullshit because its simply preaching to the choir, who already allege religion to be superior to superstition. Religion is the walmart of superstition. Of course it pushed all the other gigs in town out of business! who the hell can compete with the biggest superstition of all time?

Similar Threads

  1. Which function more likely to land you in the Psych Ward: Ne or Ni?
    By mysavior in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
  2. sucky song=more likely to die in a game?
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 06:25 AM
  3. What type is most likely to fall in love?
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
  4. I need something to believe in
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO