• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do I embrace my hedorism?

Ogie

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
How do I embrace my hedonism?

I finally figured out that I'm a hedonist and how do I embrace that part of me? This is the first time admitting that I want more pleasure than pain, and avoid it. I strive to be happy and I figured it out through reading the book "The Picture of Dorian Gray."

Am I alone here?

*Spelling error in title corrected.

Last edited:

wool

Permabanned
1 Timothy 5:6
She who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives.

I'm not one myself, but I see nothing wrong with it as long as you aren't hurting anyone. All I can say is go out there and make it happen buddy. The world is your oyster. There are hedonists out there living it up and I don't think you'd really get it here from this forum. ;)

Last edited:

Tater

Ezekiel 23:20

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

Mole

Permabanned

In the American fantasy of the Wild West frontier in the small frontier town, at one end of the street is the modest church and at the other end of the street is the saloon.

At one end of the street is pleasure and at the other end is puritanism. So pleasure and puritanism are two poles around which Americans oscillate.

Americans take this fantasy for granted and fail to recognise other peoples oscillate around different fantasies.

Tater

I hope for your sake you're just ENTP.

2 Kings 2:23-24

Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the LORD. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

wool

Permabanned
2 Kings 2:23-24

Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the LORD. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

That was the prophet Elisha.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I finally figured out that I'm a hedonist and how do I embrace that part of me? This is the first time admitting that I want more pleasure than pain, and avoid it. I strive to be happy and I figured it out through reading the book "The Picture of Dorian Gray."

Am I alone here?

I seriously doubt you're alone here but people won't freely admit to it either. Embracing hedonism is an e8 thing in my mind, this is why I enjoy it to varying degrees. Biblical quotes or righteous finger wagging is probably not going to have any impact so I say - as long as it's consensual - have fun.

Mole

Permabanned

Am I alone here?

Three thousand years ago the Ancient Greeks found the best way to enjoy pleasure is in moderation. And this is true today.

No pleasure will leave you morose, and an excess of pleasure destroys the pleasure itself. So moderation is the watch word. It leads to the pleasure of mutual relationships, it leads to a balanced mind and a balanced body, moderation leads to the sharing of contentment and happiness.

Ogie

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't harm other people and I don't see harm in avoiding anything painful as long as it's not hurting other people. I want to have my happiness by means that won't harm myself or others. I enjoy living life to the fullest, whether it's a movie rented on TV before bed or just going out with friends. I hate pain.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
...There is a certain sort of allure in overindulgence, though.

...Was going to make a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that you go and do it and then report back in 10 years for scientific purposes. Realised that may be taken sreiously and probably errr yeah nooo:D

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP

Am I alone here?

I think you might have somewhat missed the point of Dorian Gray....though to be fair, I've really only seen the movie.

Sometimes, pain and temperance are necessary to maximize long-term happiness, while pure hedonism has what might best be described as diminishing marginal emotional returns, and eventually even reduced pleasure (imagine eating your favorite meal three times a day for 20 years....you will eventually receive no pleasure from it). You can postpone that effect by diversifying your pleasurable experiences, but you will eventually run out and be stuck in a rut. That's just the way human psychology evolved as a survival mechanism.

That's no reason not to enjoy indulging oneself, but the trick is to recognize when and at what extent it will contribute to a net utilitarian loss (on that subject, you might want to research Utilitarianism as a philosophy, it seems right up your alley).

But so long as no one else is hurt, do what thou wilt, I would oppose anyone stopping you.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Am I alone here?

Begin to study epicureanism and buddhism. It will teach you how to balance pleasure with necessary pain so that you don't fall out the hedonic treadmill and be in pain the rest of your life. Also look up hedonic treadmill.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I alone here?

Begin to study epicureanism and buddhism. It will teach you how to balance pleasure with necessary pain so that you don't fall out the hedonic treadmill and be in pain the rest of your life. Also look up hedonic treadmill.

blech...we don't need religious dogmatism from any of the religions out there!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you even know what bigotry is?

yes--you enforce your will on others against the other person's will, especially if they aren't hurting anybody.

wool

Permabanned
yes--you enforce your will on others against the other person's will, especially if they aren't hurting anybody.

Definition of bigot

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

That's you.

And you say they're not hurting anyone, but that's not true, because they are someone, and I do not encourage hedonism because it will hurt their soul.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Definition of bigot

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

That's you.

And you say they're not hurting anyone, but that's not true, because they are someone, and I do not encourage hedonism because it will hurt their soul.

The religious are always quick to play the victim card despite being the ones in power. Also, you are hurting somebody attempting to limit their free will and have them miss out on what they want in life. Its fine to give somebody advice, but weaponizing quotes from religious texts is the first step to crusading against somebody.