• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think life is better believing in a healthy religion or not?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You have such an open mind, indeed an unlimited mind, so I am surprised you don't read Mein Kampf and get great benefit, or read Das Capital and get great benefit.

We do though place limitation on power because power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so we limit power through the Separation of Powers in liberal democracy. The unlimited mind is tempted by absolute power, indeed tempted to worship the unlimited power of God.

You appear to be doing your typical trolling, but oh, well, you can get a straight answer anyway.

As a well read person, I have read Adolf and Karl, as well as Mao, Lenin, Schopenhauer, Kant, Machiavelli, Voltaire, Bentham, Plato, and a host of others. I have found no value in avoiding writers. Marx is brilliant at describing the capitalist system, but he just sucks at creating a plan going forward. Just too utopian, like Ayn Rand. There is value in reading Adolf, because it helps one to better understand the mindset that twisted a nation.

Not everyone can handle such, though. In high school a friend started following the extreme anti-Communist right, John Birch Society and such. After he showed me some literature, I started playing with him, telling him he might like to read some Soviet writers, just so he knew what they said. He did and flipped to being a avowed Communist in Reagan's America. And is to this day.

I do not believe I have unlimited knowledge. I am fully aware of the limits of my power. But I do acknowledge and worship God without reservations. Accepting we only have limited understanding and knowledge is the beginning of wisdom. Any who profess to have all the answers is woefully mistaken.

Mole

Permabanned
You appear to be doing your typical trolling, but oh, well, you can get a straight answer anyway.

As a well read person, I have read Adolf and Karl, as well as Mao, Lenin, Schopenhauer, Kant, Machiavelli, Voltaire, Bentham, Plato, and a host of others. I have found no value in avoiding writers. Marx is brilliant at describing the capitalist system, but he just sucks at creating a plan going forward. Just too utopian, like Ayn Rand. There is value in reading Adolf, because it helps one to better understand the mindset that twisted a nation.

Not everyone can handle such, though. In high school a friend started following the extreme anti-Communist right, John Birch Society and such. After he showed me some literature, I started playing with him, telling him he might like to read some Soviet writers, just so he knew what they said. He did and flipped to being a avowed Communist in Reagan's America. And is to this day.

I do not believe I have unlimited knowledge. I am fully aware of the limits of my power. But I do acknowledge and worship God without reservations. Accepting we only have limited understanding and knowledge is the beginning of wisdom. Any who profess to have all the answers is woefully mistaken.

What! You read Das Capital and entirely missed the need to exterminate whole peoples. And this is exactly what they did: over seventy years they killed 100 million of their own people across the world, click on http://www.conflicts.rem33.com/images/books/THE BLACK BOOK OF COMMUNISM.pdf

In the light of this planned and organised slaughter do you really worship a God with absolute power of life and death without reservations?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to buy Jung's theory that human beings had innate spiritual/religious needs.

However, Iceland and Norway, two strongly atheist countries, score very high on the happiness index. Australia also holds a spot close to that statistical intersection.

Furthermore, people take a myriad of paths to gain personal fulfilment - often not religious or spiritual. Confucianism, for example, gave social structure to many Eastern civilizations without ramrodding theology down peoples' throats.

Conclusion: if there was any universal truth to what Jung had to say, then it doesn't have to abide by conventional religions, spiritualities, or narratives.
I think the universal truth is that human beings have certain innate needs that in many cases are met by spirituality/religion. That doesn't require that these are the only ways to meet them.

I'm not seeking converts, and as I understand it Jesus and God does not actually want that either, evangelism has been a cruel mistake or joke on Christianity, couldnt have done more harm if it'd been invented by the Devil himself, but I just think that's a pretty grim picture.
How I wish more Christians would understand this. As I believe I just wrote in another post, the best evangelism is the example of how you live your life.

On a more serious note, I can't with good conscience hold any organised religion in good faith, or as a benevolent source of societal organisation, as organised religion is one of the main contributing factors towards worldly strife.
I think it is more that human organizations contribute to worldly strife. Plenty of strife has come from the influence of governments, corporations, and other entities. I wonder how much good most of them have done relative to the good often done by religious groups.

Finally, I think unorganised religion, if you could call it that, is much worse than organised religion, most of the atrocities committed these days in the name of religious belief are not committed by the larger communities or institutions but random individuals, with random ideas.
Most of the atrocities seem to be committed by small fringe groups. Truly unorganized religion cannot muster the coordination and firepower - literal or figurative - to do much harm.

this is not to say that some religious beliefs don't come more naturally to me... I have little trouble grasping concepts such as powers of nature and the ability to anthropomorphize them into something to be in awe of... I can understand the desire to beg the sun to please come back in the dead of winter and to plead with the sky during a drought. karma makes sense to me and so does reincarnation... those are ideas that somehow resonate with me as being correct. I do believe in treating others as I would wish to be treated as well because that feels right... trying to be good on terms that make sense and fit to me. I wouldn't say that I've always been able to live up to my own beliefs, but I try, and that's got to count for something.
I was going to say I agree entirely, until I saw the highlighted. That assumes others are like me: like what I like, need what I need, etc. If I treated my husband like I wish to be treated, I would make him coffee in the morning, but he hates coffee, so I wait and have it at work.

also a note: if you have to work on selling your religion, is it really worth believing in?
Exactly. If God and the Bible aren't enough to convince someone to see it your way, how can you hope to do better than they?

My problem with this kind of research is that it only vouches for the utility and not the validity of spiritual belief. If you tell an atheist they should practice spirituality with the argument that it'll make them happier, I doubt it would be well recieved as it provides no basis for belief in the supernatural other than wishful thinking.
Don't discount the utility argument. Many techniques the lack factual validity are useful, especially in addressing issues that involve subconcious though that can be elusive when approached head-on. This is why it is important not to insist on the literal or historical veracity of one's beliefs, but rather to hold them as metaphors for deeper truths, about life and our place in the universe, etc.

You believe in God?
I believe in God, and I am sure of two things:

1. As [MENTION=1180]miss fortune[/MENTION] pointed out, that isn't you, and

2. I am confident that if my beliefs are in error, God (not you) will correct them, and if your beliefs are in error, God (not I or anyone here) will correct them.

I do not presume to have enough wisdom to judge the spiritual path of another, a lesson you have yet to learn.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What! You read Das Capital and entirely missed the need to exterminate whole peoples. And this is exactly what they did: over seventy years they killed 100 million of their own people across the world, click on http://www.conflicts.rem33.com/images/books/THE BLACK BOOK OF COMMUNISM.pdf

In the light of this planned and organised slaughter do you really worship a God with absolute power of life and death without reservations?

The failings of men are not the failings of God. It is pure hubris to believe so.

God granted humanity free will, which allows for some awful things to take place, as well as giving us to opportunity to learn and grow. But all things can be turned to our good, even the bad things. Christ paid for all suffering and pain, so that we can be free of it. His love is full and amazing.

Mole

Permabanned
The failings of men are not the failings of God. It is pure hubris to believe so.

God granted humanity free will, which allows for some awful things to take place, as well as giving us to opportunity to learn and grow. But all things can be turned to our good, even the bad things. Christ paid for all suffering and pain, so that we can be free of it. His love is full and amazing.

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, and this is a God with absolute power, and absolute power we know corrupts absolutely. And whatever we worship we become, so we should be very careful in worshipping an absolute God without reservations.

But the desire to worship an absolute God is based on fear, and is based on the fear of a child of an abusing parent.

Consider: God ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and stand over him with a butcher's knife ready to cut him up alive. And consider: nowhere are we asked, how did Isaac feel? And today our Royal Commission has shown that God's Church disregards the suffering of children, just as we are taught to disregard the suffering of Isaac. The absolute all powerful God turns out to be a child abuser just like his Church today.

And you want to worship a God like this?

wool

Permabanned
The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, and this is a God with absolute power, and absolute power we know corrupts absolutely. And whatever we worship we become, so we should be very careful in worshipping an absolute God without reservations.

But the desire to worship an absolute God is based on fear, and is based on the fear of a child of an abusing parent.

Consider: God ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and stand over him with a butcher's knife ready to cut him up alive. And consider: nowhere are we asked, how did Isaac feel? And today our Royal Commission has shown that God's Church disregards the suffering of children, just as we are taught to disregard the suffering of Isaac. The absolute all powerful God turns out to be a child abuser just like his Church today.

And you want to worship a God like this?

If the worship of God was based on fear, God would have simply destroyed Satan the moment he disboeyed.

But He let Satan's plan unfold in order reveal to the watching universe the true nature of sin.

Satan's kingdom is based on force, power, control. Gods kingdom is based on love, mercy, and freedom.

He doesn't even accept obedience unless it's out of love.

You know more about the devil than God I think, you just think it's God that you know. It's sad you're so deceived.

Mole

Permabanned
If the worship of God was based on fear, God would have simply destroyed Satan the moment he disboeyed.

But He let Satan's plan unfold in order reveal to the watching universe the true nature of sin.

Satan's kingdom is based on force, power, control. Gods kingdom is based on love, mercy, and freedom.

He doesn't even accept obedience unless it's out of love.

You know more about the devil than God I think, you just think it's God that you know. It's sad you're so deceived.

I know Satan from Paradise Lost by John Milton.

Satan tells us he would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven, he doesn't make excuses, he doesn't say he had an unhappy childhood, he doesn't even blame God, he doesn't blame an addiction, he doesn't blame society, he doesn't say he was misled by bad companions, he doesn't blame mental illness, hey, Satan is a stand up guy.

On the other hand -

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I came in to respond to a post and got sidetracked by all these theology.

Anyway, [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION], what I meant to say was that non-religious organisations have done a lot of good (as well as bad), once Enlightenment values began to take shape and human society knew they needed to regroup to respond to the changes that also came economically. So, no, it has nothing to do with religion. You seem to be one of the more reasonable ones, but the rest of this thread is mostly theological stuff, and... YEaaahhhh I'm outta here. Bye

Exit left, pursued by a bear.

Lark

With the caveat that Jung's work involves nuances, peculiarities, and debatable interpretations...

Between Psychological Types, Archetypes and The Collective Unconscious, and Man and His Symbols, I've read several hundred pages of his writing.

After investigation, you're not going to have a takeaway that the human condition is divorced from religious life, according to Jung.

He believed that the archetypes of the collective unconscious needed to find resonance in ritualistic practices before a person could become more whole.

Furthermore, he even went on to say that the Catholic eucharist held the most symbolic value out of the rituals he was aware of. According to Jung, the material depiction of the cross and all the other Catholic finery could act as a pathway to the symbolic aspects.

Additionally, Jung did not think that scientific research provided the symbolic value that religious practice supposedly could.

And let's not forget that his departure from Freud (who was vehemently secular) was a deciding factor in how he constructed his main body of work.

Jung's personal beliefs about God and spirituality were far more idiosyncratic than your average church-goer, but he often viewed religion as a practical solution for existential deficiencies. Seeing it as a means of upkeeping "psychic hygiene."

As far as baseball is concerned, it's not about devotion. It's about reaching egolessness through flow state.

Jung's work says more about him than it does about others, if you ask me.

That point I've highlighted, I've done so because while its Jung's view it could easily be attributed to a whole host of analysts and others, it depends what you mean.

helbert

MBTI Type
INTJ
I want to say that life is definitely better with spirituality, not necessarily religion. I'm a nihilist myself and often wish I were religious because it's agonizing to imagine myself ceasing to exist. Being only concerned with the truth, however, I can't find enough sound logic in religion to believe in it.

I think people who believe in God or a higher power are more fulfilled, sans pointless religious structures, but sometimes structures are necessary to maintaining spirituality. My parents are both extremely religious and follow the Bible down to it's most obscure verse, and they are very happy and fulfilled. I could never get over the general oppressive, judgmental, and illogical nature of Christianity and chose not to follow it, and I am a happy person.

I think my dad needs religion because before he became a Christian he was very unhinged and unstable, and it completely changed his life. For me though, I am happy and disciplined on my own and I think it definitely depends on the person, but I think truly religious people are probably more fulfilled than I am in life.