User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Why do people from different cultures clash?

I want to know why it is that people from different cultures clash when?

Considering when you ask people all they want to do is try to get along and yet they don't hesitate to try and stab you in the back at some point in time?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Different premises lead to different conclusions.

People in different cultures build their premises up from different base assumptions.

And most people just assume they're right. Furthermore, people think that when they're right, other people are wrong. That's the biggest problem.

Two people can have totally different conclusions that are both logically valid. The trick is to figure out the assumptions on both sides and come to an all-encompassing stance.

Edit: What I've found is that most people make logically valid arguments. Which means most people are right. The real problem is that people have different starting points. If everyone realized that, arguments would be so much less of a problem...

MBTI
    INFP

Different cultures value different things.

When someone explicitly or implicitly expects something of you that you find compromising to your natural disposition, it can be perplexing for both parties.

Because "All I want to do is find a way to get along" usually means "All I want to do is find a way to get the other person to concede."
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    type

The only answer: "People don't want peace. They want victory." --Noam Chomsky, iirc. (FMW said it in other words)

MBTI
    ENFP

these are all vary interesting comments but if you take into consideration that when a child is born it has a clean slate and finds it extreamly easy to make friends and get along with other children for the most part

its when the child gets older and starts to hear/see how there parents interact and talk about other people/race's/religious groups that the child starts to think the same way about there friends.

so the question is how come children find it easy to get along with other children despite what color they are or what religion they are from...yet most of us adults would rather see the other person fail then to help them on their way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by miggies View Post
    these are all vary interesting comments but if you take into consideration that when a child is born it has a clean slate and finds it extreamly easy to make friends and get along with other children for the most part
    Whoa whoa, that's a giant claim you're making. It seems almost impossible for children to have a clean slate -- there must be certain innate traits: capability for language learning, metaphor, generalization, etc. Different genetic makeups lead to different kinds of learning styles (autism seems like an impossible example to avoid).

People are born with different capabilities. Different premises, if you will. And different premises lead to different conclusions.

Obviously nurture plays a huge huge role as well, parents instill tons of premises. But these are all built through metaphor from base genetic assumptions (premises).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

The we progress as individuals, the more we gain self awareness.

Naturally, when humans see differentiation on a large scale, it's their natural instinct to feel threatened. This has been an evolving concept that man has carried in his right hand since the dawn of man. Today, (and please exclude MBTI completely from this) when humans see differences, they automatically come to attention and it goes back to our natural instinct to either change it or attack it. (and yes, yes, I know about the J's and the P's, this is on a larger scale though.)

now, does anyone understand what I'm saying? or am I just completely wrong, and have wasted my time explaining this phenomenon?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?