123 Last

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Default People Watching. What Do You Think About As You Do It?

Very open-ended and broad question but that's the beauty in such ideas is it not? To allow oneself the space and capacity to ponder.

I'm sitting here at the beach as it nears sunset and I begin to wonder, what do others think of as they people watch? Are they actively participating in the lives of others as they watch from a distance? Is nothing in your thoughts associated to the people around you?

As I sit here, I find myself latching onto certain people. Not certain kinds of people, but there seems to be a particular connection I find in myself with a person or group of people that I visually latch onto. That connection usually is a parallel I see within my own life, between myself and other people, with myself and my aspirations, and what I perceive in others around me.

I sit here now, watching these two young guys, maybe in their young twenties, doing jumps off a natural ledge formed by the tides and sand. They may just be friends, but I relate to them in the way I see the relationship between my brother and I. There are many thoughts roaming around at once as I watch these two. Some longing, some pleasant, some purely observational. The theme that tends to run in these thoughts of mine though, as I people watch, is that I tend to see myself in a broader picture and remove myself from my itty-bitty life, and incorporate myself into this larger relationship that I see of humanity. This is a nice place to be, and a place in my mind that tends to help me make sense of the world again.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter

Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There are many things that appear in my mind as I observe others. I think I usually do so to get a feel for that person's personality and sometimes compare it in relation to my own. Some of it involves fantasy and envisioning what it would be like if I were to ever befriend them or if we'd have anything in common or not. I also observe traits I admire about a particular person, whether it's physically but not necessarily in a sexual way, or through their own personality or other attributes in order to gain inspiration from them, but there could be some envy involved as well. Additionally, I sometimes study people's mannerisms and observe if another person reacts well to them. I think part of that reason is so I can tell what is acceptable/appropriate behavior because sometimes I can't always tell myself.

All in all, there's always a comparing factor involved and I don't think I really detach from myself. I can't consciously tell if it's because I'm too self-absorbed or that my brain just immediately involves myself by default in anything I do. I wish I can somehow detach as if I'm having an out-of-body experience and jump into someone else's shoes without thinking partially about myself for once, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that or if it's even possible at all for me to achieve naturally.
    "If only every generation would realize that the time for greatness is right now when they’re alive…the time to flower is now."

– Patti Smith
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I usually just observe and pass little judgement. But for me people watching is more like people listening.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari
    Likes Dreamer, Mayflower liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by indra View Post
    I was never really into them but the most memorable thing I think of when I hear their name is an old VH1 special that counted down the least metal songs and silent lucidity was on the list. "Metal is about war, death, mayhem, destruction. Not about peace and serenity."

That and Scott Ian's reaction to Mother by Danzig being on the list always made me laugh.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    STP

Purely sensory information. Gate, stride, expressions, etc. I am pretty shallow and don't try and "guess" anything or dig deeper. Best example is in regard to a crash...ISTJ is like...i wonder what happened...my smart ass didn't really feel like digging into hypothetical simply said...car hit the pole...stated the obvious, was called out for being a smart-ass on that one. Shallow Se FTW...lmao
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I was never really into them but the most memorable thing I think of when I hear their name is an old VH1 special that counted down the least metal songs and silent lucidity was on the list. "Metal is about war, death, mayhem, destruction. Not about peace and serenity."

That and Scott Ian's reaction to Mother by Danzig being on the list always made me laugh.
    Operation Mindcrime is a masterpiece!!

You need to listen to the whole album to get the full effect, o lord.

Danzig is terrible tho.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    I usually just observe and pass little judgement. But for me people watching is more like people listening.
    I like this, "people listening"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Likes Smilephantomhive, Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Purely sensory information. Gate, stride, expressions, etc. I am pretty shallow and don't try and "guess" anything or dig deeper. Best example is in regard to a crash...ISTJ is like...i wonder what happened...my smart ass didn't really feel like digging into hypothetical simply said...car hit the pole...stated the obvious, was called out for being a smart-ass on that one. Shallow Se FTW...lmao
    Do you store this information for later use? What do you gain from noticing such detail? Perhaps you are putting this information together and seeing patterns emerge? What picture do you see when you assemble the puzzle?
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiastic_Dreamer View Post
    Do you store this information for later use? What do you gain from noticing such detail? Perhaps you are putting this information together and seeing patterns emerge? What picture do you see when you assemble the puzzle?
    Watching patterns emerge pretty much. It works down to a personal understanding of people. One example is high heels and its affects on a persons ass/hip alignment/etc. This was at a Britney spears concert. If you watch all the different people in high heels you start to create a full picture of what it can/does to a body. You also see that its affects vary greatly from person to person and not a one size fits all thing. Same with facial expressions, tones, mannerisms, etc. I don't know the intricate details to create any hard conclusions so it just kinda gets stored as concepts and the blanks are filled in at a later point with more data/understanding. This may be from reading, talking with people, etc. It creates patterns, but ALOT of diverse patterns with multiple degrees of overlap.
    Im out, its been fun