• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What can religion teach atheists?

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Card carrying atheist here, been one my whole life, was closeted for the first 30 years or so. It wasn't until the new atheists came about did I find the courage to say F it and own the label, for political reasons. For years I always deflected religious conversations with something like "I'm not a very religious person" in order to avoid potential conflicts, wasting my time or losing social value. That said Alain de Boton makes excellent points. I've totally reassessed how I view religion as a consequence. I sort of view it from a sociopolitical or cultural perspective now or how best to organize society.

Thoughts on the topic?

Last edited:

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
'Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.'

Many great lessons from theism - William James on polytheists and naturalism, a co-working pastor on relativity and Christ, the many celebrities on annunaki and the enslavement of our species.

I am very explicitly an atheist, a naturalist, Buddhist, but discretion has served me well in life to plumb the depths of our psyches.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Three things that come to mind:

• Morality. Many religions have systems of morality that promote considerate and harmonious living in society: things like honesty, charity, respect for others, etc. Most faiths have some form of the Golden Rule that encapsulates this.
  • Myths and symbols. Most religions have a set of myths and symbols that are used to convey fundamental truths about humanity and our place in the world, in a way that can be more effective than direct exposition. Not all religions recognize their myths as such, but they can still illustrate valuable lessons about life, even to the non-believer. Consider, for instance, Jesus' parables.
  • Meditation. Many religions incorporate some form of meditation, which has been demonstrated to have positive results in helping one remain grounded, relaxed, and able to focus on what is important in life.

All of these can be found completely outside of religion as well, but some of the religious versions are especially accessible and useful, if not taken literally.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
The answer depends on what they do not know and what they want to and are willing to learn.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, the attraction was the spirituality part. I think most religions, at their core, start out with trying to give you a ritual to honour that 'feeling of feeling at one with the world', which, btw, you often achieve in meditation. There is a sense of belonging and feeling at one with the universe/every other living being in the world, like you're energetically connected - at least, for me.

And that in and of itself, can profoundly affect the way you look at the world, navigate life and handle the challenges it throws at you. It shows you how to handle the big Unknowns (like death) and focuses you on being in the moment and relishing every minute of it. In a way, it mimics the way two people trust in each other, when they're in a relationship - they become a team. It becomes like a trust in yourself and in the universe kind of relationship, where you're able to be confident in your ability to handle anything without being hyper vigilant, while trusting and understanding the way the universe works, because it *feels* right - because you're a part of it and you share that bond. You're not on the outside looking in or in an us vs them situation. You're working *with* the universe, instead. You're no longer stepping on each others toes during the dance - you become one.

...not sure if that makes sense :ninja:

I think, along the way, perhaps due to peer-pressure and the need to be right, and yes, political power, the purpose of (organised) religion and those rituals got changed and, yes, in some parts, corrupted, and it got an extra purpose where it became a way to control, guide and harmonise a tribe. That in and of itself certainly has its purposes, but it's not what spirituality is about, imho. Although, I guess you could argue 'As above, so below', iow, feel in unison with the worldly world as well as with the spiritual realm. It's just that you don't have those downsides like worldly power abuse, that then overtake the original intent, in that spiritual realm :shrug:

I also think that when that original spiritual part is lost due to the struggle for power and the need be right, it takes the religious/spiritual aspect right out of it, no matter how much that part gets invoked as a justification, because it goes innately against what spirituality is about, ime :coffee:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Religion has allot of good practices, I really like the current pope. He is probably one of the closest I have seen to what religion should be and preach.

Take his word, remove God and you have what atheists should follow as well.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For people who move from religion to atheism, some have learned to maintain the internal belief structure, and fill it with new contents. By that I mean, if they were raised in a dogmatic religion with absolutes, then their atheism will tend to be dogmatic with absolutes. If their religion was a closed system of thought, then their atheism can be a closed system of thought.

What religion, and more specifically - spirituality, can teach people is that there is more to the universe than the concrete, observable, and measurable. There isn't any reason to think that the human mind perceives the whole of reality through the concrete senses. In this way it can teach the atheist a sense of wonder, mystery, and speculation about the possibilities of reality.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Three things that come to mind:

• Morality. Many religions have systems of morality that promote considerate and harmonious living in society: things like honesty, charity, respect for others, etc. Most faiths have some form of the Golden Rule that encapsulates this.
  • Myths and symbols. Most religions have a set of myths and symbols that are used to convey fundamental truths about humanity and our place in the world, in a way that can be more effective than direct exposition. Not all religions recognize their myths as such, but they can still illustrate valuable lessons about life, even to the non-believer. Consider, for instance, Jesus' parables.
  • Meditation. Many religions incorporate some form of meditation, which has been demonstrated to have positive results in helping one remain grounded, relaxed, and able to focus on what is important in life.

All of these can be found completely outside of religion as well, but some of the religious versions are especially accessible and useful, if not taken literally.

Right. Guidelines on how to navigate lifes travails, 'best practices'.

Did you watch the video? What do you think about his view on original sin?

Mole

Permabanned
Card carrying atheist here, been one my whole life, was closeted for the first 30 years or so. It wasn't until the new atheists came about did I find the courage to say F it and own the label, for political reasons. For years I always deflected religious conversations with something like "I'm not a very religious person" in order to avoid potential conflicts, wasting my time or losing social value. That said Alain de Boton makes excellent points. I've totally reassessed how I view religion as a consequence. I sort of view it from a sociopolitical or cultural perspective now or how best to organize society.

Thoughts on the topic?

Each religion thinks the doctrines of the other religions are preposterous, but at the same time think their doctrines are the Truth.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right. Guidelines on how to navigate lifes travails, 'best practices'.

Did you watch the video? What do you think about his view on original sin?
I have not had time yet to watch the video. I am aware of some notions of original sin, and find it an artificial construct that does more harm than good. I suppose in the broadest sense it can be viewed simply as our inherent imperfection, but that view lacks the moral judgment generally contained in the idea of "sin".

Each religion thinks the doctrines of the other religions are preposterous, but at the same time think their doctrines are the Truth.
Not so. Many religions acknowledge the truths and respect the prophets of at least some other religions. Christianity stands out in my experience as not doing this, except inasmuch as it tries to co-opt the Old Testament to provide a context for Jesus.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
19275424.jpg

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The only thing I took from religion is the concept of forgiveness and second chances. It's a quality that most theists and atheists alike seem to be lacking. Oh, and I guess that's sort of where I got my thing where I stand up for others no matter how detrimental it is for me. When I was a kid, I would do it because "that's what God wants us to do." Now, I just think, "it's the right thing to do."

Mole

Permabanned
Religion is entrancing while atheism eschews trance for reason.

We all long to be entranced by religion or spirituality, we long to be entranced by the movies, by television, by our mobile phones, by art, dance, and music, and by falling in love.

We are entranced most to the time, and only fitfully wake to reason.

The entrancement of religion and spirituality is living in a beautiful dream, while reason is waking to the cold light of day.

Tell me beautiful lies, we say, lest we wake to the biting of ants.

Lark

Religion is entrancing while atheism eschews trance for reason.

We all long to be entranced by religion or spirituality, we long to be entranced by the movies, by television, by our mobile phones, by art, dance, and music, and by falling in love.

We are entranced most to the time, and only fitfully wake to reason.

The entrancement of religion and spirituality is living in a beautiful dream, while reason is waking to the cold light of day.

Tell me beautiful lies, we say, lest we wake to the biting of ants.

:D

This again.