User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 52

  1. #31
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    If I knew of a friend trying to take his life.. you bet your ass I would do all in my power to stop him. Because I feel it is my responsibility. Don't like it? Don't tell me you're going to committ suicide. I think it is your right to have your own life in your hands.. but if you tell me you're going to do it, I'm going to take that as a sign that you need help and attention and I am going to try to stop you however I can.
    I agree with this stance, and it is one that I would also take because I do believe that if someone confides in you that they are having suicidal thoughts, that it is, in essence, a cry for help.

    However, I do believe that there exists some people for whom which life is not a treasure but rather, some kind of torturous hell.

    Although I deeply understand that suffering is a *valuable* and necessary part of life/living, there is such a thing as excess and for those who suffer day in and day out, ceaselessly, I say, let them have their peace.

    On a side note, I absolutely DON'T get those who decide to kill themselves on an emotional whim. Now that is just plain odd, irrational, and irrevocably dumb. Like those that kill themselves after a boyfriend or a girlfriend left them *because* their boy/girlfriend left them, like, WTF?!?!?!?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  2. #32
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    How is it not one's right?

    Are you honestly telling me that I do not, or should not, have the right to choose to end my life if the life I happen to be living is one of excruciating pain?

    That's messed up dude, and highly insensitive.
    You said you wanted a dissenting opinion. Like I said, you have the ability. But I don't think it's right, no. And it's not a hypothetical for me. I've attempted suicide before. I'm very thankful I wasn't successful.

    And I think a lot of your views are messed up too, so there we go.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  3. #33
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    On a side note, I absolutely DON'T get those who decide to kill themselves on an emotional whim. Now that is just plain odd, irrational, and irrevocably dumb. Like those that kill themselves after a boyfriend or a girlfriend left them *because* their boy/girlfriend left them, like, WTF?!?!?!?
    I don't get why boyfriends/girlsfriends go into stalker mode, or super-depressed mode like that dude from 40 yr. old virgin that didnt get over his girl of like 6 months for two years (Wtf?!).

    Someone capable of taking their life at such a sudden whim isn't healthy in the head in the first place. They're abnormal, sick.. or something. They never were right in my eyes. Sick people do sick things.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  4. #34
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    You said you wanted a dissenting opinion. Like I said, you have the ability. But I don't think it's right, no. And it's not a hypothetical for me. I've attempted suicide before. I'm very thankful I wasn't successful.
    Just because you happened to have attempted suicide before doesn't mean that you necessarily had, or shared the same reasoning and intent as others who have attempted or committed suicide had/have.

    The hypothetical suicides I am advocating here are deliberately and rationally planned out/thought through.

    Have you witnessed someone slowly and excruciatingly painfully wither away from a terminal disease?

    I believe that these people have a right to end their suffering.

    And I think a lot of your views are messed up too, so there we go.
    Awesome blossom, Hammurabi would approve!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Your argument is shifting, CC. If you only advocate euthanasia, and not suicide based on depression, you should state that clearly.

  6. #36
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    I advocate euthanasia and I sympathize and accept suicide as a last resort for those who desire to put an end to their incessant and incurable psychological/existential/emotional suffering.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Noted.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    since nobody else will play devil's advocate

    the bigger question is when and how much selfishness is justifiable. suicide is an act of selfishness that often negatively affects others, but there are others things like that which are not considered wrong as well as those that are.

    the difference is what is fair and expected... im not sure that's the best reason, but i do know people view a big difference between something like capitalism and robbing a bank.

    to relate that to suicide, i think it can only be determined on a case by case basis. sure, philosophically speaking everyone should have the option to reverse a choice that was not theirs that they feel has negatively affected them (being brought into existence), but more often than not the choice to do so is based on things that were brought upon that person by their own actions--and yet the solution is one where they opt out scott free while those close to them are left with pain.

    considering this, it seems clear to me that whether it is justifiable depends on whether they brought it upon themselves or if they are suffering needlessly by circumstances outside their control with no end in sight.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    You are correct, it is a selfish act. That's a debate unto itself.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You are correct, it is a selfish act. That's a debate unto itself.
    everyone is selfish, it's an innate attribute to control of self. what selfishness is okay and what isnt is entirely more difficult to answer... i think this is just another example of that, along with something like "is it okay to steal from someone to feed yourself?"

    perhaps in this case, suicide could be justified in the sense that it is more important to stop whatever pain the person is experiencing than to avoid inflicting the pain of loss on those that know them? just like stealing could be justified in the sense that it is more important for someone to live than for another to possess the food that the person stole.

    at the very least, i think most people could agree that any solution is better than one where nobody really wins, which is why you dont see many people promoting suicide as an option.

Similar Threads

  1. To be or not to be a psychopath?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 02:17 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
  3. To Be or Not to Be...That is the Question!!
    By Winds of Thor in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 05:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO